Favorite Musical/Musical songs?

I became involved in my high school’s drama club during my freshman year, and let me tell you, what a fantastic experience it was! Being involved with drama, it made sense to do musicals, and we did one during the spring of each school year. We never really got the chance to do a performance of Grease, Footloose, or West Side Story because the cast number has always been pretty small. As far as I know, the musicals my school has done so far are Oklahoma! (done before I arrived at the school), How to Succeed in Business without really Trying (freshman year), *Into the Woods *(sophomore year), Cinderella (junior year), and Little Shop of Horrors (senior year).

Since I’m leaning toward a major in musical theatre right now, I thought I’d ask: does anyone else like watching musicals or listening to the songs? If so, what are your favorites?

I think as far as musicals themselves go, my favorites are:

1. Wicked
  2. Little Shop of Horrors
  3. Into the Woods
  4. Cinderella
  5. The Sound of Music
  6. Grease

And my favorite songs include:

1. “Defying Gravity” from Wicked
  2. “Almost Paradise” from Footloose
  3. “Grow for Me” from Little Shop of Horrors

Oh my, just about anything by Cole Porter is fantastic. Maybe a bit racy, but fantastic. My favorite: Anything Goes. :slight_smile:

As an aside, Ragtime (which is NOT by Cole Porter) is also a really, really, REALLY good musical that was, in my humble opinion, greatly underrated. So good.

Yes!

Top 5 are…

1. The Sound of Music
  2. The King and I
  3. Les Miserables
  4. Gypsy (for humor)/Wicked (for music)
  5. Fiddler on the Roof

Favorite Songs:

1. Something Good
  2. Shall We Dance?
  3. I Dreamed a Dream
  4. For Good
  5. If I Were a Rich Man

I love musicals also.:thumbsup:
My dad used to come out in the kitchen and sing"Do You Love Me" to my mom from Fiddler on the Roof while she was cooking.:smiley:
When my family gathers to song, I love Lida Rose/ Will I Ever Tell You from The Music Man especially, because we can couterpoint with each other.
Taking two musical strains and sets of lyrics and bringing them together to make something new is so much fun. The whole is truly greater than the sum of its parts and the experience of being part of that creation experience is a real treat…
The Motherhood March in Hello Dolly provides another wonderful counterpoint opportunity.
For sheer braggadocio, C’est Moi from Camelot is a fave…:smiley: “If Ever I Would Leave You” gets high marks for romance.
The Music Man has some great early rap music in “Rock Island” and The “Ascot Op’ning Day” from My Fair Lady is such a great blend of music and visual imagery.
Well, time to pull out a couple of compact discs! Thanks for the inspiration. May God bless you!
P.S. Have you tried any of the Gilbert and Sullivan operettas? The music is lovely. G and S tended to get into a bit of hot water over their willingness to take on issues of royalty, class and love. Their lyrics are clever and their messages have held up over time. (The Mikado, Pirates of Penzance, and H.M.S. Pinafore are 3 favorites).
I’m not sure if you would consider Disney’s Sleeping Beauty a musical, but there’s music by Tchaikovsky in that score! I’ve always loved the Sleeping Beauty Waltz.
And, while I’m thinking of dancing, who can have a bad day while singing along with “Shall We Dance?” from the King and I?

Admittedly, I’ve only listened to bits and pieces of Cole Porter’s work. I’ll have to find the time to look into it more.

As an aside, Ragtime (which is NOT by Cole Porter) is also a really, really, REALLY good musical that was, in my humble opinion, greatly underrated. So good.

And I’ve never heard of this one before. I’ll have to look into this one too! :smiley:

Phantom of the Opera! I’m lucky enough to live near the big city, so I’ve seen it on Broadway 5 times and it’s magical! Did they stop running it though? I hope not.

Les Miserables, too.

I’m another vote for Phantom of the Opera, favorite song being “Music of the Night” although I quite like the overture as well.

Go for it, Pheonix! My favorite musicals are South Pacific, Cinderella, The Sound of Music, Grease, Footloose, Fiddler on the Roof & Camelot. Songs are…

from Rodgers and Hammerstein’s South Pacific~
1. Bloody Mary singing to Joe Cable, “Bali Ha’i

“You listen, you hear island call to you.
Listen, Lieutellan… you no hear something? You hear voice?
Most people live on a lonely island lost in the middle of a foggy sea.
Most people long for another island, one where they know they would like to be…”

2. Joe Cable singing to Liat, “Younger Than Springtime
oooooh… how beautiful. getting goosebumps from this one!

“I touch your hand and my arms grow strong, like a pair of birds that burst with song.
My eyes look down at your lovely face, and I hold the world in my embrace…”

also Nellie singing, Gonna Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair & (I’m In Love With) A Wonderful Guy and of course, Emile singing to Nellie, Some Enchanted Evening.

from Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Sound of Music~
3. Mother Abbess singing to Maria, “Climb Ev’ry Mountain
double the goosebumps!

from Cinderella~
4. Cinderella singing, “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

5. Cinderella singing, “In My Own Little Corner
( Rodgers and Hammerstein’s 1965 version, with Lesley Ann Warren in the title role.)

“I’m as mild and as meek as a mouse. When I hear a command, I obey.
But I know of a spot in my house where no one can stand in my way.
In my own little corner, in my own little chair
I can be whatever I want to be…”

**6. **Prince Charming & Cinderella singing, “Do I Love You Because You’re Beautiful?
(This is awsome)

“Are you the sweet invention of a lover’s dream,
or are you really as wonderful as you seem?”

and from Camelot~
7. Lance singing to Genny, “If Ever I Would Leave You” (full version)
version 2, dedicated to that special “Lance” who pierced my heart

When describing the musicals of her day, Grandma always says, “With songs like these, we couldn’t help but to fall in love.”

damn yankees

Les Mis
Fiddler
Sound of Music
HMS Pinafore
Jesus Christ Superstar

Yeah, I feel that way too sometimes, but what songs do you like?

ha ha

Favorites:

Next to Normal
Chorus Line
Les Mis
Fiddler on the Roof

Favorite song: What I did for Love - Chorus Line or Bring Him Home - Les Mis

Hooray! May the good Lord bless you as well. :slight_smile:

P.S. Have you tried any of the Gilbert and Sullivan operettas? The music is lovely.

I’ve only heard bits and pieces of the music from Gilbert and Sullivan’s The Sorcerer. I have liked what I’ve heard, though. I’ll have to look into more of their stuff. :slight_smile:

So many musicals/operas… so little time. :smiley:

G and S tended to get into a bit of hot water over their willingness to take on issues of royalty, class and love.

I like when authors, dramatists, etc. bring up the various kind of issues surrounding royalty, class, love, politics, etc. Maybe, to go off on an unrelated tangent, that’s why I enjoyed reading Kurt Vonnegut’s “Harrison Bergeron” in American Literature Honors class my junior year of high school. That, and I’m quite fond of literary analysis, thanks to my English teachers.

I’m not sure if you would consider Disney’s Sleeping Beauty a musical, but there’s music by Tchaikovsky in that score!

Well, I guess it could be considered a musical, since it combines dialogues, songs, and the like. But maybe that’s personal bias; I love the Disney classics.

J’adore Tchaikovsky, which is probably why I’m fond of Sleeping Beauty. <3 Albeit, I haven’t seen it for a few years.

And, while I’m thinking of dancing, who can have a bad day while singing along with “Shall We Dance?” from the King and I?

"Shall we dance?
On a bright cloud of music shall we fly?
Shall we dance?
Shall we then say “Goodnight and mean “Goodbye”?”

:smiley:

About two years ago, I went on a school trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. One of the places we visited was Salzburg, where they filmed The Sound of Music back in 1965. Needless to say, my best friend and I couldn’t help by sing this song while we were there.

5. Cinderella singing, “In My Own Little Corner
( Rodgers and Hammerstein’s 1965 version, with Lesley Ann Warren in the title role.)

“I’m as mild and as meek as a mouse. When I hear a command, I obey.
But I know of a spot in my house where no one can stand in my way.
In my own little corner, in my own little chair
I can be whatever I want to be…”

That song made me sad the first time I heard it. But maybe that’s because, when my school did it, the girl playing Cinderella sang with a lot of emotion.

**6. **Prince Charming & Cinderella singing, “Do I Love You Because You’re Beautiful?
(This is awsome)

“Are you the sweet invention of a lover’s dream,
or are you really as wonderful as you seem?”

This was my favorite song out of the entire play. Well, this the “Stepsisters’ Lament” and “There’s Music in You.” :smiley: Anyway, I enjoyed singing that song quite a lot when I was the Prince.

and from Camelot~
7. Lance singing to Genny, “If Ever I Would Leave You” (full version)
version 2, dedicated to that special “Lance” who pierced my heart

When describing the musicals of her day, Grandma always says, “With songs like these, we couldn’t help but to fall in love.”

I would have to agree with your grandmother. :smiley:

There’s Music in You is from a different Rodgers and Hammerstein musical(forget whic one). It didn’t become part of Cinderella until the Brandy/WHitney Houston film.

I’ve loved musicals since I was pretty young; I’ve always been in awe of the singers, as I can’t carry a tune in a bucket. :frowning:

All time favorite is Les Mis; the story is wonderful and the music incredibly beautiful and moving. I always end up in tears by the end. (Cannot wait for the movie to come out; Les Mis and Hugh Jackman… doesn’t get any better than that!)

Camelot was an early favorite, and I still love the music. I’ve seen it on stage numerous times (once with Rock Hudson as Arthur, believe it or not!) and loved the movie with Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero (on whom I had a huge crush back in the 60s.) I think it’s cool that they are actually married to each other in real life.

My older daughter performed in Fiddler on the Roof with the local youth theatre here and I think I saw it about a dozen times; never got tired of it. Wonderful story, great music.

South Pacific is a favorite, too; I just watched the Kelly O’Hara version on DVR, and have long loved the Mitzi Gaynor/Rossano Brazzi original movie. I saw the national tour of the recent Lincoln Center version and enjoyed it tremendously.

I love Phantom of the Opera (saw that on Broadway) and My Fair Lady (saw that in London, quite near Covent Garden, which figures in the play.) We saw Billy Elliot in London, too (our girls were ballet dancers, so we found that interesting, if somewhat profane for our tastes.) The costumes in The Lion King were astonishing.

Recently, we saw Nice Work If You Can Get It, with Kelly O’Hara, Matthew Broderick and fabulous Gershwin music. Fun “fluff”.

We also saw “Once” this past year (won the Tony for Best Musical.) We had loved the movie when it came out, and loved the musical, as well. Very original… you could actually have a drink onstage in the Irish pub before the performance and at intermission. The music is lovely and the story sweet.

Sound of Music - Climb Every Mountain, Favorite Things
West Side Story
Music Man - Till There Was You
Oklahoma
Mama Mia (horribly concocted story but love the ABBA tuneage)

My favorite musical of all is The Slipper and the Rose (it’s also my favorite version of the Cinderella story). It’s a little hard to find, but I did manage to buy a DVD a few years ago.

Also worthy of mention:
The Sound of Music
Fiddler on the Roof
Cats

Really? Huh. I never knew that. Learn something new everyday, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still like the song regardless of where its origins are found.

It didn’t become part of Cinderella until the Brandy/Whitney Houston film.

Uncanny! The drama club director/adviser would usually find a version of the musical we were planning early in our rehearsal schedule. We would then watch it to get an idea on how the characters have been portrayed, to give us ideas on how we can change/improve/etc. the characters when we portray them.

It just so happens that she picked the Brandy/Whitney version of Cinderella. All of us (letting out our immature teenagers) were baffled by how Whoopi Goldberg and Victor Garber begot someone like Paolo Montalban.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.