Favorite Old Testament passage

What is your favorite Old Testament passage?

Genesis 15:5-7

5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said to him: Look up to heaven and number the stars if thou canst. And he said to him: So shall thy seed be. 6 Abram believed God, and it was reputed to him unto justice.

God Bless

Proverbs 30:5-6 (NIV)
“Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Do not add to his words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Then Moses and Aaron, Nadab, and Abi’hu, and seventy of the elders of Israel went up, and they saw the God of Israel; and there was under his feet as it were a pavement of sapphire stone, like the very heaven for clearness. And he did not lay his hand on the chief men of the people of Israel; they beheld God, and ate and drank. (Exodus 24:9-11)

That’s the Eucharist right there. Psalm 63 is also good, as well as the words of the mother of the seven sons in 2 Maccabees 7.

*“I do not know how you came into being in my womb. It was not I who gave you life and breath, nor I who set in order the elements within each of you. Therefore the Creator of the world, who shaped the beginning of man and devised the origin of all things, will in his mercy give life and breath back to you again, since you now forget yourselves for the sake of his laws.” (2 Maccabees 7:22-23)

But, leaning close to him, she spoke in their native tongue as follows, deriding the cruel tyrant: “My son, have pity on me. I carried you nine months in my womb, and nursed you for three years, and have reared you and brought you up to this point in your life, and have taken care of you. I beseech you, my child, to look at the heaven and the earth and see everything that is in them, and recognize that God did not make them out of things that existed. Thus also mankind comes into being. Do not fear this butcher, but prove worthy of your brothers. Accept death, so that in God’s mercy I may get you back again with your brothers.” (2 Maccabees 7:27-29)*

Echo’s of Mary. :slight_smile:

-Tim-

When Solomon prayed for Wisdom.

“So God said to him, ‘Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked…’” (1 Kings 3:11-12)

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Loord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more
Jer 31:33-34

The book of Hosea, because it’s this incredible love story–God forever married to back-sliding Israel, and in it I see a picture of the Church as well, wheat and weeds growing together, at times chastened by God, but ultimately hearing in Chapter 14:2 and following:

2 "Return, O Israel, to the Lord, your God; you have collapsed through your guilt.

3 Take with you words, and return to the Lord; Say to Him, "Forgive all iniquity, and receive what is good, that we may render as offerings the bullocks from our stalls.

4 Assyria will not save us, nor shall we have horses to mount; We shall say no more, ‘Our God,’ to the work of our hands; for in you the orphan finds compassion."

5 I will heal their defection, I will love them freely; for my wrath is turned away from them.

9 Ephraim! What more has he to do with idols? I have humbled him, but I will prosper him. “I am like a verdant cypress tree”—Because of me you bear fruit!

10 Let him who is wise understand these things; let him who is prudent know them. Straight are the paths of the Lord, in them the just walk, but sinners stumble in them.

“Train a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6

That’s the one that I was going to use!

May God bless you all!

I like Jeremiah 33:3

‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’

Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked, and were not ashamed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.