Favorite Protestant Thinkers or Authors

I thought this would be a really interesting post to see who are Protestants some Catholics respect.

When I was Protestant, I used to really like Rob Bell and Francis Chan as I liked their style. Later on though I got tired of their trying to remove traditional thought from Christianity and trying to re-think Christian doctrines. One of the few reasons I became a Catholic.

Right now I would have to say: C.S. Lewis, Michael Ramsey to some extent, Johnny Cash's Autobiography is awesome as well.

*many reasons I became Catholic!!! :slight_smile:

THE
SPIRIT OF CHRIST:

THOUGHTS
ON THE INDWELLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
IN THE BELIEVER AND THE CHURCH.
BY
REV. ANDREW MURRAY,

Peace

I like Watchman Nee. Most especially "The Normal Christian".

Stan

C.S. Lewis definitely! Also, though he’s not quite as orthodox, I really like some of George MacDonald’s stories.

[quote="irishOntarian, post:5, topic:280550"]
C.S. Lewis definitely! Also, though he's not quite as orthodox, I really like some of George MacDonald's stories.

[/quote]

I've read part of Phantastes. Really gorgeous concept. I find it funny that Lewis thought his theological works were really poor, but MacDonald's fantasy was the best he had ever read. Tolkien also respected MacDonald's fantasy.

N.T. Wright, especially his The Resurrection of the Son of God.

(Plus, he was invited to address the synod of bishops on the Word of God. There’s a vote of confidence!)

C.S. Lewis for non-fiction type work and Lori Wick for fiction.

Thinkers: C .S .Lewis,

Milton's Paradise Lost is interesting.

God Bless,

Christopher.

I'm very fond of Philip Yancey's writings. Fearfully and Wonderfully Made, the book for which he collaborated with Dr. Paul Brand, is an exquisite exploration of the wonders of creation that are exhibited in our very own anatomy and physiology. Truly fascinating and very readable.

I’m going to limit it just to writers on Christian subjects, because I don’t usually bother to even learn the religion of writers on other subjects. Not complete, just off the top of my head. And I will count Anglicans as Protestants, though I don’t really think they are.

C.S. Lewis (largely responsible for my being a Christian)
N.T. Wright (major influence on my faith)
Alister McGrath
J.I. Packer
Kathleen Norris
Gordon D. Fee (through his books, my mentor in exegesis)
Scot McKnight
Brian D. McLaren (also a major influence)
Rob Bell
Donald M. Miller
Tony Campolo
Martin Luther (another major influence; I agree with Lutherans on a lot, and I learned it mainly from Luther)
John Calvin (I’m not a Calvinist, but I enjoy reading him. Calvin himself makes much more sense to me than his followers usually do.)
Ravi Zacharias (apologist)
Josh McDowell (ditto)

The grandpa of them all, Martin Luther. His sermons are beautiful.

Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kierkegaard. I love his idea of the leap of faith.

And Lewis. I grew up on the Narnia books.

Paul Tillich
Martin Buber, (Jewish philosopher).
Rudolph Bultmann

[quote="Izdaari, post:11, topic:280550"]
I'm going to limit it just to writers on Christian subjects, because I don't usually bother to even learn the religion of writers on other subjects. Not complete, just off the top of my head. And I will count Anglicans as Protestants, though I don't really think they are.

C.S. Lewis (largely responsible for my being a Christian)
N.T. Wright (major influence on my faith)
Alister McGrath
J.I. Packer
Kathleen Norris
Gordon D. Fee (through his books, my mentor in exegesis)
Scot McKnight
Brian D. McLaren (also a major influence)
Rob Bell
Donald M. Miller
Tony Campolo
Martin Luther (another major influence; I agree with Lutherans on a lot, and I learned it mainly from Luther)
John Calvin (I'm not a Calvinist, but I enjoy reading him. Calvin himself makes much more sense to me than his followers usually do.)
Ravi Zacharias (apologist)
Josh McDowell (ditto)

[/quote]

Allister McGrath is a good writer. I loved his book "Christianity's Dangerous Idea". He writes exactly that- how dangerous a concept Protestantism really was and is.

Also, as a former Anglican I certainly consider Anglicans to be Protestant. They consider themselves reformed, Articles of Religion very much concepts of Calvin and Luther, the formation of Church of England was inspired by Lutheran establishment. John Henry Newman tried to argue for Anglicanism as a fourth branch of Christianity, but obviously he later realized Anglicanism to be false and became a Catholic priest.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer is another one worth reading.

Also AW Tozer, and FF Bruce.

Although CS Lewis is head and shoulders above all the others as an apologist.

Much of my adult life has been shaped by Dr. James Dobson. He is a pro-life champion and has been influential in leading evangelical Protestants into pro-life activism. He is also the author of many excellent books about child-rearing, and teaches a sensible, practical, and highly-effective approach to disciplining children that worked for us.

And Charles Colson is my HERO! His book, Being the Body, is one of my Top Ten reasons for becoming Catholic. Colson is one of the intellectuals among evangelical Protestants. He is the co-founder of Evangelicals and Catholics together (along with Father Richard John Neuhaus). He is also the founder of Prison Fellowship, which offers Christians many options for obeying the Scriptures and helping prisoners.

One more--I have to put in a good word for Pastor John Ortberg! I grew up with John, and played the piano for him many times. I think if I said the words "Santa Soap" to him, he would laugh, remembering some really good times. Everyone in our youth group used to say that John would grow up to be the next Billy Graham, and we were right! Very practical teacher.

I pray that all of these men will find their way home to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church!

Anglican Evelyn Underhill- She was an expert on the spirituality and mysticism of Sts. John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila. Her writings on the spiritual life and spiritual counsels are invaluable.

[quote="codefro, post:16, topic:280550"]
Allister McGrath is a good writer. I loved his book "Christianity's Dangerous Idea". He writes exactly that- how dangerous a concept Protestantism really was and is.

Also, as a former Anglican I certainly consider Anglicans to be Protestant. They consider themselves reformed, Articles of Religion very much concepts of Calvin and Luther, the formation of Church of England was inspired by Lutheran establishment. John Henry Newman tried to argue for Anglicanism as a fourth branch of Christianity, but obviously he later realized Anglicanism to be false and became a Catholic priest.

[/quote]

Anglicanism is pretty diverse, as you must know. There are Reformed Anglicans, almost-Catholic Anglicans, and many more in between. I'm probably an in-between myself, being an N.T. Wright type, "Open Evangelical" is the term I think. But I'm attending an Anglo-Catholic church, and I'm quite pleased with it so far.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.