Favorite Religious films(or even vaguely religious themes)

I am interested in some recommendations. The movies may be blatantly or inexplicitly religious. :slight_smile:

I’ll start:

Samson and Delilah(1948)
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Seventh Seal
Dreamworks Prince of Egypt
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Disney’s Hunchback of Notre Dame

The Passion of the Christ, 2004. The sorrowful mysteries, and my own sufferings, have never been the same since I saw it
*Jesus of Nazareth, 1977 TV series, by Zeffirelli. *The Matthew 16:13-18 scene is a profound interpretation.

:slight_smile:

Grand Torino / Clint Eastwood
Lord of the Rings
Lion Witch and the Wardrobe
Michael

Supernatural - television show

Passion of the Christ
Padre Pio: Between Heaven & Earth
St John Bosco: Mission to Love
Divine Mercy: No Escape
Bernadette (Sydney Penny)
Clare & Francis
Maria Goretti
Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Signs - I know this isn’t a typical “religious” movie, but it spoke very powerfully to me of God’s love & providence. I still cry near the end every time I watch it.

Catholic....
"Doubt"
"Lourdes" (2009)
"Maria Full Of Grace"
"Quinceañera"
"Under The Tuscan Sun"
"Cesar's Last Fast" (a work in progress)
"Into Great Silence"
"Monsieur Vincent"

Non-Catholic....
"Whale Rider"
"The Book of Eli"
"The Little Buddha"
"Dead Man"

Along the lines of TV, and into animé, “Chrono Crusade” is one I like.

St. John Bosco Excellent movie!
St. Patrick ** It has a lot of the folklore but is a good movie for all of that!
**The Scarlet and the Black
About a Cardinal at the Vatican,...its a great movie and true!!
The Courage to Love
Sheffey
Fray Martin About Martin de Porres (wonderful movie!)
Ben Hur ** One of the greatest movies of all time!
**Francesco
A good movie but some nudity (is on the Vatican list!)
A Man For All Seasons
Monsieur Vincent ** This is a wonderful movie, well done!!
*Therese *(1986)
**St. Therese

Gandhi ** Excellent movie!
*Keys of the Kingdom, * Absolutely beautiful movie!
*Mother Teresa *(the real Mother Teresa, not an actor)
*Mother Teresa - The Legacy * (real Mother Teresa)
**Mother Teresa,
movie with Olivia Hussey (very well done!)
Saint Francis (Raoul Bova) Good movie!
Francis of Assisi **- the Hollywood Francis!
**Francis and Clare
(Good Movie!)
Padre Pio - Miracle Man (This is excellent!)
The Song of Bernadette ** (older movie, really well done but is not all accurate!)
*The Staircase * (about a staircase that was built by a carpenter that came out of the desert and then left without being paid. There is not one nail or brace in the entire staircase. They don't know what keeps it standing! True Story!!
*Bernadette * This is the most recent movie on Bernadette This one is more accurate
*The Passion of Bernadette * This is about the 12 yrs. that Bernadette lived in the convent.
*A Time for Miracles * The story of St. Elizabeth Anne Seton, her husband dies and leaves her with 5 children to raise. She joins the Catholic Church when it was NOT popular to be Catholic and founds an order while she raises her children!
*Beyond the Next Mountain * True story of a young native that grows up and expected to translate the Bible into the language of the tribe. It is an excellent movie!!
**The Road of Hope **is about the Spiritual Journey of Cardinal Nguyen Van Thuan.
**The Miracle of Our lady of Fatima

The Island **a beautiful story of a man who lives out a life of reparation. It is funny, sad, and yet very powerful!
**Into Great Silence

St. Teresa de Avila ** (a miniseries that brought the saint alive for me!)
*St. Teresa of the Andes *(Another beautiful miniseries you will never forget!)
*Facing the Giants * a beautiful move!
*Fireproof *- a beautiful Christian movie about how to make a marriage work!
**Beyond the Gates
(about the genocide in Rwanda and how a priest lived through the last days.)
St. Rita a beautiful story about a wonderful saint!

Enjoy!

Here’s my list:

Ben-Hur-one of my all-time favorites! Charlton Heston RULES!

The Ten Commandments (1953 version)-yeah, the acting was a little over the top at times, but you can’t beat the special effects! And of course, ol’ Chuck was a great Moses!

The Robe-saw this one for the first time Easter Sunday 1967. Loved Richard Burton as ‘Marcellus Gallio’.

The Song of Bernadette-saw this one before my confirmation in 1966. Deeply moving.

The Passion of Joan of Arc-showed this twice when I did multimedia presentations on her in 2000 and 2001. But it’s not the kind of movie to watch by yourself in a darkened room late a night…rather scary with all the close-ups.

Bernadette and The Passion of Bernadette (Sydney Penny)-liked the fact that the latter film was done ‘on location’ at her convent in Nevers. Went there ten years ago this month-loved it!

Teresa of the Andes-cried like a baby when she died!

The Passion of the Christ-second time I watched this, I was nearly tempted to yell, ‘STOP IT!’ at the scourging scene. That was hard to view!

The Greatest Story Ever Told-it was fun spotting all the cameos of famous stars in this movie. Loved John Wayne’s one-liner as the Centurion at the foot of the Cross! I even met once April Oursler Armstrong, the daughter of Fulton Oursler, who wrote the book of the same title-that was pretty cool!

John Paul II-the two part miniseries with Jon Voight in the title role. He was fantastic! I cried at the ending of this one, too.

Can’t think of any others right now.

The Trouble with Angels
The Sound of Music
Bella
Jesus of Nazareth

"Ben Hur"

"The Robe"

"Quo Vadis"

"Joshua"

"Friendly Persuasion" with Gary Cooper

"Angel and the Badman" with John Wayne

"Shoes of the Fishermen"

"Keys of the Kingdom" with Greggory Peck

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:8, topic:216737"]

The Passion of Joan of Arc-showed this twice when I did multimedia presentations on her in 2000 and 2001. But it's not the kind of movie to watch by yourself in a darkened room late a night....rather scary with all the close-ups.

[/quote]

Yah. Very powerful, I thought it had quite a modern look and feel to it somehow, despite being made all those years ago.

The Greatest Story Ever Told-it was fun spotting all the cameos of famous stars in this movie. Loved John Wayne's one-liner as the Centurion at the foot of the Cross! I even met once April Oursler Armstrong, the daughter of Fulton Oursler, who wrote the book of the same title-that was pretty cool!

Hehe - love that bit too "Trooly, this was the Son o' Gahd!"

Bridge to Terabithia (2007 version).

Juno

Hands down, the best religious film I’ve ever seen is Jesus of Nazareth. Flawless, in my opinion.

On an only slightly less exalted plane, someone mentioned The Trouble With Angels. On the surface, it’s a Disney-ish comedy, but it’s SO much more than that. I loved that movie when I was a little girl, and I still love it today, forty-some years on. Watching the main character come to the realisation that she’s being called to the religious life is always a wonderful moment; makes me cry every time I see the movie.

Hi all,
Excellent movies posted!
My most recent religious movie was ‘The Lilies of the Field’. Sidney Poitier is magnificent.
God Bless,
Colmcille.

Thanks for all your replies!. This is an abundance of of suggestions, but I’ll keep in mind as many as I can, especially the ones about the lives of the saints. So far the best movie I’ve seen about the ministry years of Jesus, rather than the crucifixion, is “The Greatest Story Ever Told”. Max Van Sydow was so saintly and pure. I could start a separate thread about all his great performances. It’s slightly amusing that Jesus was portrayed by a Scandinavian:), though it doesn’t at all detract from the movie. If anyone is interested there is a Vatican film list online. I wish I wasn’t broke so I could buy some of these movies. Thank God for TCM!

Babette’s Feast :thumbsup:
Ben-Hur (the original silent version - worth seeing)
Brother John (w/ Sidney Poitier)
The Fugitive (dir. John Ford w/ Henry Fonda)
Into Great Silence - ditto on this one
Jesus of Montreal :thumbsup:
A Nun’s Story (w/ Audrey Hepburn)
Resurrection (w/ Ellen Burstyn)
Quo Vadis (1950’s version)
Susan and God (w/ Joan Crawford - on TV again this week- yay!)

That Don Bosco movie, St. John Bosco: Mission to Love, is amazing. It really captures the spirit of Don Bosco!

It’s interesting, I can find the theme of redemption in many films, and to me that is such a wonderful religious theme.

Someone on here also mentioned Gran Torino. Great film!

And let us not forget The Godfather.

I agree … such a beautiful film! :thumbsup:

[quote="colmcille1, post:14, topic:216737"]
Hi all,
Excellent movies posted!
My most recent religious movie was 'The Lilies of the Field'. Sidney Poitier is magnificent.
God Bless,
Colmcille.

[/quote]

Ayyyyy-men! Ayyyyyyy-men! (although apparently he's tone-deaf, so I don't know if that was him singing :( )

absolutely deserving of the Oscar he got for it :yeah_me:

The Song of Bernadette

The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima

The Robe

The Nativity Story

The Trouble With Angels - I second everything that was said about it.

Change of Habit (Elvis Presley/Mary Tyler Moore)

The Singing Nun

The Bishop’s Wife (David Niven/Loretta Young) - Wonderful last scene for a Christmas movie and a great story.

Little Women (Susan Sarandon) - I don’t know why I find this religious. The values of the family seem to be so faith-filled in this version and I love the opening scene.

Muppets Christmas Carol - Gotta love the Crachitt family singing “Bless Us All” and Scrooge singing “A Thankful Heart”. The lyrics are so clearly about relationships with God and loving others.

A Charlie Brown Christmas - Thank you, Charles Schulz, for not backing down on telling us what Christmas is all about even when the network wanted you to.

Can you tell by some of my choices I’m already thinking about the season?

Angels in the Outfield (Disney version)

Schindler’s List

Diary of Anne Frank

Chariots of Fire

Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe

Looking forward to seeing the next Narnia movie!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.