favorite saint

Who is your favorite saint? and why?
My favorite is St Mary Magdalen b/c she turned her life around and followed Jesus so faithfully, physically and emotionally…:slight_smile:

Saint Juan Diego, with his humble and childlike faith
Saint Gianna Molla, a strong, intelligent, professional woman who gave her utmost to her married vocation

I’ve only read two quotes from her, but they are just so amazing. I’m talking about St. Teresa of Avila, of course. :smiley:

“Blessed be He, Who came into the world for no other purpose than to suffer.”
-St. Teresa of Avila

“Consider seriously how quickly people change, and how little trust is to be had in them; and hold fast to God, Who does not change.”
-St. Teresa of Avila

Saint Bernard of Clairvaux because he totally snuck in on me as a patron. I really disliked him, then I found out he was very devoted to Mary and wrote a lot of prayers to Her, then I found out Saint Bernadette’s religious name was Marie-Bernard, then I reluctantly looked him up and read that he is the patron saint of chandlers. Many conversations and prayers later, I now love him.

St. Frances of Rome for her faithfulness and obedience.

St. Maria Goretti for her willingness to die rather than sin.

Just look at my signature and guess. Why? Because of his faith and martyrdom. And of course, I’ve always been drawn to him, too.

St. Francis of Assisi. He was the first saint that I was introduced to as a Protestant, and the more I read about him, the more I admire him.

However, there are so many great saints that oftentimes I find it difficult to select just one!

St. Brigid of Ireland (sometimes written as St. Brigette) for her conversion and also being the patroness of Ireland.

Saint Ignatius de Loyola
(Born Inigo Lopez de Loyola.)
For having totally turned his life around from being a noble born soldier of Spain, to being a Noble Soldier of Christ. He was born in the 1491st year of our Lord in Azpeitia in Basque country’s Guipuzcoa province. In 1521 he was a soldier defending Pamplona against a vastly superior french force, when his commander wanted to surrender Inigo persuaded them to “fight on, if not for victory, then for the glory and honor of Spain”. During the battle his leg was struck by a cannon ball, and when the french won they carried him off to his ancestral home in admiration for his courage, rather than holding him as a POW. His leg badly wounded never healed properly and after a series of painful surgeries he was at deaths door, but on the feast of saints Peter and Paul he began to heal, though his leg was always deformed, and shorter than his other one throughout his life.

During his recovery he was bored to tears, but there was nothing but The Life of Christ, and a book on the lives of the saints. With little else to fill out his day he read them and began to admire the virtuous and in many ways heroic saints. Many times in fact he would daydream he was living his life as a great saint , and other times he would dream of being a man of great wealth and fame, he noticed great peace in the former and noticed he was unfulfilled in the latter. This observation would change his life, and be the basis for the discernment of spirits, the cornerstone of Ignatian Spirituality.

That new direction for his life prompted him to leave as soon as he was well, in the early months of 1522, his ultimate destination was planned to be Jerusalem. On his way to his immediate destination Barcelona, he stopped at a shrine, confessed his sins, and stayed all night in vigil before leaving his knife and sword on the altar. He proceeded to a cave near the town of Manresa, where he only planned to stay a few days, but ended up spending ten months there in prayer and doing good works, his time here was the basis for his Spiritual Exercises, a book which proscribes a month of silence and prayer, which has changed many lives and brought many poor sinners to sainthood. During his time at Manresa he was granted a vision which he would not describe except to say that it was the most important vision of his life that taught him to see god in all things, an important ignatian principal. It was here also that he underwent many drastic, and unadvisable penances, that lead to him having trouble with his stomach for the rest of his life.

He eventually left and went to Barcelona, where he took a ship to Italy and made his way to Rome to petition The Holy Father Adrian the VI for permission to make a pilgrimage to the Muslim held Holy Land. he was granted his pilgrimage, but upon arriving in Jerusalem the Franciscan in charge of all christians there told him to leave as it was too dangerous, when he refused the order was repeated under threat of excommunication, he then departed.

Later at the age of 33, having discerned a vocation to the priesthood he went to Barcelona he spent two years there studying latin a subject so basic at the time that he had to learn it among small children while begging room and board from the locals. Upon learning latin he went on, to the University of Alcala, while studying there he would teach people the Gospel and prayer. It was this extracurricular activity that caused the paranoid Spanish Inquisition to jail him for more than a month, and order him to stop teaching there. This was a command that he couldn’t meet in good conscience so he left for the University of Salamanca where the Dominicans imprisoned him, but finding no heresy in what he taught released him with the order only to teach children, and even then only the basic’s of the faith, so he left again for Paris.

It Was at the University of Paris that he was finally ordained after years of studying and begging. It was also in Paris that he directed six of his friends (most notably Francis Xavier, who was canonized a saint at the same time as Ignatius.) through his spiritual exercises. They all took vows of chastity, and poverty, and decided that upon ordination they would make a pilgrimage to the holy land, it was Ignatius’s plan to wait until then to say his first mass. They waited for a year doing good works but no ships came that would go to the Holy Land, so Ignatius, Peter Faber, and James Lainez decided to go to Rome to place themselves at the service of the Pope, not as a religious order but as individual priests. At a Chapel they stopped at along the way Ignatius received another vision in which God the Father promised to be favorable with him in Rome and place him with his son.

The Pope put them to work preaching and teaching, and in 1538 Ignatius said his first mass over what was purported to be the very manger Jesus was lain in at birth, at the church of St. Mary Major in the Chapel of the Manger. In 1539 he gathered all his companions together in Rome to discuss their future, it was decided that they would form a new religious community and place it in direct service of the Holy Father, and require an additional vow of obedience to the pope. On September 27, in the 1540th year of our lord Pope Paul III formally approved their new order the Societatis Jesu, or Society of Jesus (A.K.A. The Jesuits). They voted to select their Superior, it was unanimous with the exception of his own that Ignatius should be the leader, the first time he refused asking them to pray, reconsider, and vote again, when the outcome was unchanged he accepted.
(Cont.)

(cont.)

He then worked the remainder of his life from his bedroom, and office, organizing and coordinating the order, writing letters to various houses and insisting that they all reply with regularity so he may be aware of their situation, and ensure that all the society would work in harmony. He worked with great patience towards those who were immature in their faith, but expected much from those who had much including and especially his closest friends. He died shortly after midnight on (what is now his feast day) July 31 in the 1556th year of our lord, of the same stomach illness he contracted so many years ago at Manresa.

Wow that was a lot of typing.:takethat: anyway if you want to know more about him more knowledgeable people than me have written a better bio here

If I could, I’d choose John Paul II, but he’s not canonized yet of course. Other than that, I’d choose St. Peter.

My patron, Saint Patrick! :shamrock2: A brave man who argued with pagan kings, and a humble man who apologised for his imperfect Latin.

I also admire Saint Irene of Thessalonica, Virgin Martyr - I didn’t get to choose a Confirmation name as a kid, but I’ve sort of adopted Irene in retrospect.

St. Fulbert.

He had a special dedication to the Virgin Mary and composed hymns in Her honor. He also was a teacher. He also was a philosopher and poet. And perhaps my favorite point regarding him in today’s society - he’s obscure.

St. Paul, because I relate to him. He persecuted Christians, until one day God kicked some sense into him.

St. Peter and St. Mary Magdalene, they set good examples for errors, penance and humility.

St. Thomas Aquinas, because he was brilliant and utterly devout.

St. Benedict of Nursia, because he could literally survive on nothing but God alone.

I keep on having different favourites at different times of my life.

The ones I have a real heart-felt feeling for would be:

St Peter and St Paul. Apart from all we know about them I rather like the idea that they were fugatives for many years in Rome after escaping from the infamous gaol (which you can still visit in Rome - damp and authentically grotty looking). They must have been tough holy guys… and great friends. I loved seeing the great baldicino in St John Lateran in Rome where their skulls reliquaries overlook the inside of the church.

St Camillus de Lellis. A tough soldier with an immense gambling problem who later got a job in a hospital where there were the sick and the dying. He took such pity at their physical and spiritual neglect that he made looking after such people his life.

St Therese of Lisieux once I found out what she really believed and how she dealt with life as a nun and otherwise. Also when I saw what she really looked like (her photos are not like the contrived holy pictures). When I discovered all this last year as a result of visiting Lisieux I understood her for the first time as a real, feeling human being - and not a sentimental image.

I am now getting to know St Francis of Asissi - stripping away my old sentimental notions of him. I think his holy pictures also do him injustice as he was described as ‘…a man of mean appearance, and small of stature, and accounted as a vile beggar by those who knew him not…’ (St Francis and Brother Masseo stories). I’m going to read up on him and his spirituality as much as I can find based on the earliest writings on him/by him.

Rove

St. Faustina (go to www.thedivinemercy.org to learn about her)

St. Monica (go to ewtn.com/library/mary/monica.htm AND/OR americancatholic.org/Features/SaintofDay/default.asp?id=1120 to learn about her)

ST. Alphonsus of Liguori : For his work with Scrupulousity, and devotion to our Lady

ST. Paul: At one time Anti-christian, then a Radical convert.

ST. Arch Angel Raphael: For his name meaning “G-d Heals” or “G-d is my health” (it sounds cool to), I view it as helping me heal the wounds of sin.

Blessed Pius IX because he defended the Church against error and he has never denied me anything I have applied to him for.

St Therese of Lisieux

St Faustina

St Louis de Montfort

St Francis of Assisi

St Padre Pio

St Thomas More

St Anastasia

St Gemma Galgani

St Teresa of Avila

St Rita

(and I have more that I think are wonderful, such as St Anthony of Padua, St Joseph, St Michael, St Raphael, St Alphonsus Liguori, etc, but that would be a really long list! :D)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.