Favorite SNL Alumni past and present

Saturday Night Live has always been a breeding house for funny actors and comedians. Who are your favorite people who started out here? Here's mine:
Steve Martin (yes, I know he wasn't officially a member. But he might as well have been, considering how often he shows up.)
Dana Carvey
Chris Rock
Eddie Murphy (although I like him better now that he's cleaned up)
Phil Hartman
Lily Tomlin
Chris Farley
Dan Akroyd

Gilda Radner
John Belushi
Dennis Miller
Will Ferrell
Maya Rudolph
Tina Fey
Andy Samberg
Adam Sandler
Bill Murray
Cheri Oteri
Phil Hartman

You know I could go on an on and name my favorites. It would be much easier to name the ones I hated, and that would be that awful year that Lorne had left the show. That was horrible.

Fred Armisen
Tina Fey
Maya Rudolph

Will Ferrell!!! :D

Dana Carvey
Nora Dunn
Chris Farley
Al Franken
Victoria Jackson
Dennis Miller
Kevin Nealon
Amy Poehler
Gilda Radner
Julia Sweeney

Bill Murray

John Belushi
Gilda Radner
Martin Short (already famous with SCTV)

Most disliked character(s): The Muppets from the 1st Season or so. Scred? That was back when the show was only on the last Saturday of every month.

Bill Murray
Will Ferrell
Tina Fey
AND Steve Martin who was a SNL staple during the glory years though never officially a cast member.

[quote="basenji, post:7, topic:209844"]
John Belushi
Gilda Radner
Martin Short (already famous with SCTV)

Most disliked character(s): The Muppets from the 1st Season or so. Scred? That was back when the show was only on the last Saturday of every month.

[/quote]

I don't remember the Muppets. But I loved Mr. Bill.

My top favorite SNL star of all time is Norm MacDonald! He was so snotty and smarmy, but when he made those beautiful eyes twinkle, I just melted! I LOVED his Dole impersonation! And I love it when he was dressed up like a string bean in Adam Sandler's "Lunch Lady" video.

Second favorite would be Dennis Miller--another snot, but very funny.

Third favorite was Tim Meadows. I probably miss him more than any other performer on the show--he was extremely versatile.

I've always loved Chevy Chase!

Also Chris Kattan, especially Mr. Peepers and Mango.

I think that the most talented woman ever on the show was Ana Gasteyer.

I think that Darrell Hammond is seriously under-rated on the show--he is hilarious.

I think that everyone on the show has had moments of brilliance. I really like the current cast, except for Kristen Wiig. I can't stand anything she does.

Hey, great thread--I LOVE SNL, even when it reeks. Some of my favorite skits were the skits that everyone else hated, like the "juice" skit. I just howled whenever they did that skit.

I love John Belushi.

He has to be my favorite cast member ever. SNL has gone down hill. It was amazing back in the day. Too bad I wasn't born when they were on.

Phil Lamarr !

. . . oh nevermind, that was MAD TV

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:11, topic:209844"]
I love John Belushi.

He has to be my favorite cast member ever. SNL has gone down hill. It was amazing back in the day. Too bad I wasn't born when they were on.

[/quote]

I disagree with this, and I WAS born when they were on.

The early shows glorified drug use. So many of the skits hinted around or even blatantly promoted use of drugs. It was pathetic.

This was normal humor for that time. Recreational drug use was rampant in Hollywood, and many stars made a living either singing about, acting about, or doing comedy about drug use.

I thought it was terrible back then, and I still do. I see nothing funny about skits where people are high or drunk.

I think the best years of the show were the Dana Carvey/Mike Myers years, with the Will Farrell years a close second.

Jane Curtin aka: Mrs. Conehead

[quote="rocklobster, post:1, topic:209844"]
Saturday Night Live has always been a breeding house for funny actors and comedians. Who are your favorite people who started out here? Here's mine:
Steve Martin (yes, I know he wasn't officially a member. But he might as well have been, considering how often he shows up.)
Dana Carvey
Chris Rock
Eddie Murphy (although I like him better now that he's cleaned up)
Phil Hartman
Lily Tomlin
Chris Farley
Dan Akroyd

[/quote]

Lily Tomlin? Was she ever even a guest on the show?

Dan Akroyd, then maybe Eddie Murphy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.