Favorite Song from Mass

What is your favorite song from Mass?

Mine is Jesus Christ is Risen Today. :smiley:

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
youtube.com/watch?v=p-4nuLjkIPk
youtube.com/watch?v=EApd6omsoA0

I first encountered it with different lyrics. It’s a very old hymn, called Picardy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picardy_(hymn

Interestingly enough, the set of lyrics associated with Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence is Byzantine in origin - from the Liturgy of St. James, a predecessor liturgy to that of St. Basil and St. Chrysostom’s Divine Liturgy, and believed to be apostolic in origin.

Mine is “I Am the Bread of Life.” I also like “Song of the Body of Christ,” based on a Hawaiian melody.

Two of my favorites at this time are:

The Church’s One Foundation

O Sanctissima

Too many to mention… but I especially like…
“Be Not Afraid” and Shubert’s “Ave Maria”

The “Gloria”
“The Servant Song”
“Be Not Afraid”
"Ave Maria"
and many more, too numerous to list here.

I was trained as a second soprano in the choir and I love to use my voice to praise my Lord.

Salve Regina
Amazing Love
Be Not Afraid
They Will Know We are Christians by our Love
City of God

oooooh good stuff.

I also like “Lord of the Dance,” based on a Shaker melody…

“Be Thou My Vision” ~ that Irish melody really gets me
and
"Ave Verum Corpus" by Mozart. Love it.

“Here I Am Lord”
“Ave Maria”
“On Eagle’s Wing’s”

I think my favorite song is “Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence.” The lyrics are absolutely out of this world. When it was sung to the organ at Mass a couple weeks ago by a soloist(as I was receiving the Eucharist) I was moved to tears. The next day at another Mass it was sung by another woman to the piano at another church (only as a meditation song after Holy Communion) and it didn’t have the same effect - it wasn’t performed as beautifully and it wasn’t sung as I was receiving the Bread of Life. I love so many songs sung at the Mass, but this one might be my favorite.

------------------------------------

I just heard the song on youtube and it made me cry all over again. I think this song is my favorite for sure.:slight_smile:

That is one of my favorites too! The tune is Simple Gifts. I just love it.

-Jeanne

I love “Lord of the Dance” too.:slight_smile:

Oh I love The Lord of the Dance as well. No matter how hard the struggle is here on earth, we will be dancing in Heaven forever!

If I have to pick an all time favorite hymn I would choose “City of God”. Does anybody have a link to the hymn I can´t happen to find it. :frowning:

My all time favorite hymn would have to be Somos del Cuerpo de Cristo (We are the body of Christ)

I think it’s name is “Do Not Let Your Hearts Be Troubled” - based on the Last Supper discourse in John’s gospel - absolutely beautiful.

Also “Set Your Heart on the Higher Gifts” - based on Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, about love.

My favorite one is the one I first heard on the first day that I went to the catholic mass;

Song number 175 I think?

“Do not be afraid, for I am with you,
I have called you by your name, you are mine”

And this great one (number 285?);

“Here I am Lord, is it I Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if you lead me,
I will hold your people in my heart.”

Anyone know these?

I love “I am the Bread of Life.” (#238 in the missalette!!!) Fr. has been having us sing it almost every week while the Gospel readings are in John 6. My kids all look at me and smirk every time he says, very innocently, “Let’s turn to number 238.” :wink: We also sang it at the Easter Vigil and it will always remind me of that.

Yes, we sing “Here I am, Lord.” It is a good song too.

I only recall singing “Lord of the Dance” once but I distinctly remember my twelve year old dissolving into giggles when we sang that “it’s not easy to dance with the devil on your back.” I don’t know if I can like that song or not. :stuck_out_tongue: My kids don’t need help being giggly.

I also love any old hymn that I sang as a Protestant as it is almost always more meaningful now. (i.e., Faith of our Fathers, the Church’s One Foundation, etc.)

Did you ever listen to Hill Song?

My FIL is an evangelical pastor and has used a lot of Hill Song stuff in his congregation so we’re familiar with it.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.