Favorite Super Bowl commercials (if any...)

Okay, admittedly the pickings were mighty slim this year (I was SO disappointed that the only appearance by the Budweiser Clydesdales was that Western with the barroom rendition of "Tiny Dancer"... the teaser ads during the playoffs had me hoping for something really spectacular!)

So my faves, in no particular order:

Volkswagen's "Little Darth Vader" (okay, that one is in order... the BEST!)

Carmax's "kid in a candy store, etc."

Bud Light's "Product placement" and "the dogs will do anything for you" spots

Pepsi Zero with the wife policing the husband's diet (and whacking the beautiful blonde jogger with the soda can!)

Doritos (both the pug and the "Grandpa, I missed you!" spots)

Anyone else?

I'm pretty much in agreement with you as to the best picks of a pretty lackluster crop. One I would add is the Audi commercial with the luxury prison. I thought that one was pretty clever.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:2, topic:228361"]
I'm pretty much in agreement with you as to the best picks of a pretty lackluster crop. One I would add is the Audi commercial with the luxury prison. I thought that one was pretty clever.

[/quote]

Oh, yes, the Kenny G spot! Very clever! As was the "dish vs. HD" epic battle spot!

The VW Darth Vader ad was my favorite. So cute!

The other VW one was good too - the one for the new Beetle.

And the Justin Beiber/Ozzy ad was funny and quotable – “What’s a Bieber?”

I also laughed out loud at the Dorito’s ad where everything comes back to life - including Grandpa. Irreverent but still funny.

BTW, hated the Go Daddy commercials.

Transformers 3...

The fact that the director admitted that the second was bad gives me hope that this one will be entertaining and the "jokes" won't be so filthy and degrading.

I really enjoyed the 2 minute long Chrysler 200 commercial talking about Detroit and featuring Eminem. I will also admit that I am from Detroit and work in the auto industry, so I guess I’m a bit of a sucker.

That being said, I was disappointed that the ad ended up being the 200 because it isn’t a very good car.

I'm pretty much in agreement with the above. Loved the little beetle commercial for the new bug. So cute! Did not care for the godaddy.com commercials.

Doritos did some really good commercials this year.

Over all though the commercials just didn't seem as good as in past years. I was also disappointed with the Budweiser Clydesdale commercials. I was expected better from them.

I always do. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree that the VW Darth Vader was the best!

I have never cared for Go Daddy (or Danica Patrick or racing, but that's another rant)

I liked the Groupon ad, and the Detroit commercial.

I agree with a lot of you. The VW Darth Vader commercial was my favorite. I believe my whole family was rolling in laughter by the end of that one.

My husband enjoyed the Pepsi One commercial with the wife guarding the husband's diet and then hitting the jogger as well, but it wasn't one of my favorites.

The Doritos' commercial where everything came back to life with Dorito's was so funny. The one with the guy who was into licking the left over cheese off people's fingers/pants etc. was icky to me.

The Budweiser "product placement" was very funny as well. I was hoping to see more of the Clydesdales, too.

The Luxury prison commercial for the Audi was witty. It took me a while to catch on to what was going on, but I loved the idea of it!

The Go Daddy commercials were pretty tasteless. Kind of made me uncomfortable to have to watch those with the whole family around.

Every ad was terrible except one. The ads were all predictable from the minute they started and seemed horrifically contrived. They were all silly to the point of being unfunny.

The only ad that caused me to mildly chuckle was the one with Timothy Hutton that lampooned all the "feel good" commercials. Of course, most critics hated that one because it was not "sensitive".

I like the Doritoes commercial where the fish, the plant, and Grandpa were brought back to life.

I think most of the commercials were really cute this year. In fact, I thought this Superbowl was delightful. Great game, decent commercials, good times. I saw nothing to complain about except that I had to get up and go back to work the next day, but even that was fun because of all the chit-chat about the Superbowl!

The Doritos one was funny, and the Darth Vader one was cute. :)

One I liked that nobody else has mentioned is the CareerBuilder one in which the guy was in his car in the parking lot, about to get out to go to work, and the monkeys came and parked incredibly close, leaving him no room to get out. When he started going to the other side to get out, the monkey in the second car came and drove right up the side of his car. I was so shocked that I couldn't stop laughing, especially when the monkey jumped out through the sunroof! (Not finding joy in his suffering--it was just bizarre! I felt sorry for the poor guy.)

LOVE the Darth Vader VW commercial. If you were a fan, check out youtube (or maybe even on VW's website) because what they played at the Superbowl was an abbreviated version.

Love the WV racing beetle commercial too.

Other one's I like - Ozzy's "what's a Bieber?", the Dorito commercial where the guy thrusts' the other dude's finger into his mouth (although they should've stopped there - I didn't care for the pants part), the Pepsi Zero where the wife throws the Pepsi at the jogger

No offense meant, but I hated that commercial.

However, you are not alone in how you feel. Millions are heralding the Clint Eastwood Chrysler commercial as one of the greatest commercials of all time. Yet, here is the truth:

1. Chrysler received billion in bailouts from USA tax payers.

2. Many Chrysler vehicles are not built in the USA.

3. The Administration sold off the majority share of Chrysler to Fiat (an Italian company) before it paid paid back what it owed to the USA tax payers, thereby basically giving Fiat a USA tax payer backed incentive to the tune of 1.3 billion dollars.

The Eastwood commercial calls us to celebrate the resurgence of Detroit and an historic auto company, when in fact that company was poised for bankruptcy before it was bailed out, and it was then sold off to a foreign auto maker before it repaid its debt to us, it continues to build many models outside this country, while nearly all bottom-line profits coming into Chrysler now leave this country and flow back to Fiat.

And–with all that nationalism present in that commercial, the most ironic fact is: Chrysler is NOT an American company–it is majority owned by Fiat.

Finally, the commercial appeared to be a campaign push for the Administration with its talk about it being halftime for America (Obama is approaching his halftime if he gets a second term). Hidden message: if we just elect Obama to a second half (term), then our nation will really shine, just like Detroit-----because we are rough and tough Americans and we can pull ourselves up out of the mud and sell off our great companies to a foreign entity.

I suppose that IS the new America.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.