Favorite "Verse" or saying from your religion

I’m always interested in what people find especially interesting/helpful/comforting about their own religion.

So, everyone, what are your favorite verses from your holy text(s) or sayings within your religion? What do you like about them particularly?

Mine:

“Happy is he who wins for himself fair fame and kindly words, but uneasy is that which a man does own while it lies in another’s breast. Happy is he who has in himself praise and wisdom of life; for often does man ill counsel get when it is born in another’s breast.” - Havamal, 8 & 9.

“Most dear is fire to the sons of men, most sweet the sight of the sun. Good is health if one can but keep it, but better to live a life without shame.” Havamal, 68

These have always just seemed like good advice to me and are things I try to keep in mind daily.

“Tyr is a one-handed god and a guiding star; well does he keep faith with princes. He is ever on course over the mists of night and never fails.” Rune Poem

This is about my patron deity specifically, and is sort of comforting to me when I’m having a difficult time of things.

“Like a dog that returns to his vomit is a fool that repeats his folly.”

It’s from Proverbs. It sounds even better if you say it in a Yoda voice.

“The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”-Matthew 26:41b

“All the gods of the heathen are devils, but the LORD made the heavens.” - Psalm 96:5

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” - John 1:1

“Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” - John 8:58

“If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you.”

Wis 11: 23 - 12:1 :

23 But you have mercy on all, because you can do all things; and you overlook sins for the sake of repentance.

24 For you love all things that are and loathe nothing that you have made; for you would not fashion what you hate.

25 How could a thing remain, unless you willed it; or be preserved, had it not been called forth by you?

26 But you spare all things, because they are yours, O Ruler and Lover of souls,

12:1 for your imperishable spirit is in all things!

It’s hard to pick just one!

Though the fig tree blossom not
nor fruit be on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive fail
and the terraces produce no nourishment,
Though the flocks disappear from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
Yet will I rejoice in the Lord
and exult in my saving God.
God, my Lord, is my strength;
He makes my feet swift as those of hinds
and enables me to go upon the heights.

Habakkuk 3:17-19

I have two. One is really awfully ordinary, but I like it.

“You shall not muzzle the ox that treads out the grain.” In other words, be just in your dealings, whether required of you or not. As Kipling said in “The Jungle Book” “Devour not all in thy pride.”

This, when I’m feeling not so close to God:

“Where are you, God, my strength? Why do you keep me far away? Why do you leave me here sorrowing, while my enemies afllict me.?”

I like that. Now I’m going to be reading all these verses in the Yoda voice. :rotfl:

John 1:9 “9 The true Light that enlightens every man was coming into the world.”

George Fox…"There is One, even Christ Jesus that can speak to thy condition.’

Two.

Romans 7: 15-25
15For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

21So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

And

Romans 5:6-11
6For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. 11More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Jon

Be ours a religion which, like sunshine, goes everywhere.
Its temple, all space.
Its shrine, the good heart.
Its creed, all truth.
Its ritual, works of love.
Its profession of faith, divine living.

53 So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; 55 for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.”

Peace, Mark

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Corinthians 13

We are saved by Grace through Faith Working in Love.

All of them together, not separated.

It’s hard to choose just one because there are so many. One of my favorites is surah 6:162 of the Qur’an, which says “Say: ‘Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds’”.

"…you never cease to gather a people to yourself, so that, from the rising of the sun to its setting, a pure sacrifice may be offered to your name…” (Roman Missal)

My favourite today is:
For with you great strength abides always; who can resist the might of your arm? Indeed, before you the whole universe is as a grain from a balance, or a drop of morning dew come down upon the earth. But you have mercy on all, because you can do all things; and you overlook the sins of men that they may repent. For you love all things that are and loathe nothing that you have made; for what you hated, you would not have fashioned. And how could a thing remain, unless you willed it; or be preserved, had it not been called forth by you? But you spare all things, because they are yours, O LORD and lover of souls, for your imperishable spirit is in all things! Therefore you rebuke offenders little by little, warn them, and remind them of the sins they are committing, that they may abandon their wickedness and believe in you, O LORD! For truly, the ancient inhabitants of your holy land,
(Wisdom 11:21-12:3)

I have many verses/sayings that I love. Here is one of my favorites, very simple, but deeply profound:

“God is love” (1 John 4:16).

God bless,

Rony

3352-1-10. But take time to add something to your mind mentally and
spiritually. And take time to play a while with others.
There are children growing. Have you added anything
constructive to any child’s life? You’ll not be in heaven
if you’re not leaning on the arm of someone you have helped.
You have little hope of getting there unless you do help
someone else. Edgar Cayce

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.