Favoritte Books?

If you could; would you list your top favoritte books that have helped you spiritually apologetically ect? I will list some of mine. I will try to list my top five. But if you have more that is fine. Let me know if they are on yoiur list and hopefully I will get some future ideas on what would be a good read.

1. Love and Responsibility by Pope JPII
    Great book my all time favoritte. How are his play writes?

2. Theology for beginners by Frank Sheed
    I just ordered Theology and sanity heard it was a good book!

3. Salvation contraversy by Jimmy Aiken
    Has anybody read The church Fathers and what did you think?

4. Theology of the body for beginners by Chrisopher West

5. Lambs Supper by Scott Hann

6. Theology of the body explained by Christopher West

Thats my top five. What are your favoritte Catholic books and Authers? Thanks

I quite like the Bible:D

I presume the Bible and the catechism are understood to be listed.

The Faith Explained, by Leo Trese;

Books about Saint John Vianney by Trochu;

Paul of Tarsus;

Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (and most of the other PIG books);

Books focused on the Early Church Fathers (recent one by Jimmy Aiken);

Complete Book of Indulgences (from EWTN catalog);

Catholic Prayer Book with meditations, by Father John Hardon S.J.;

Introduction to the Devout Life (Saint Francis De Sales);

Sermons of Saint Alphonsus Liguori

… and many more.

Here is another good radio show MP3 file from Catholic Answers Live. I listened to this show this past week and loved it. I hope you do too.

catholic.com/audio/2010/mp3/ca100319b.mp3

I’m glad to see that on your list

I converted a long time ago, and I devoured many books. Most of my more-recent reading has added only marginally and incrementally to my understanding of the Faith. But Scott Hann absolutely blew me away with The Lamb’s Supper.

And the book is about the *Eucharist! *OK, maybe I am really arrogant, but I have read a lot about the Eucharist, and I fancied myself more knowledgeable than many priests. And that might be true, but after reading Dr. Hann’s book, I realized that I knew practically *nothing *about the Eucharist. Every page was a revelation.

Scott Hahn’s “Hail Holy Queen, the Mother of God in the Word of God”

David Currie, “Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic”

Catholicism for Dummies

Just to add some books that have not already been mentioned in this thread…

Mere Christianity
by C.S. Lewis
From an apologetics standpoint, the first part of this book addresses how the role and operation of the human conscience gives evidence to the existence of God. This book also presents Lewis’ famous “Lord, liar or lunatic” examination of the nature of Christ.

God’s World and Our Place in It
by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
(Originally published as The Moral Universe: A Preface to Christian Living)
amazon.com/Gods-World-Place-Fulton-Sheen/dp/1928832784/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298307738&sr=8-1
Among other things, Sheen elaborates on the mystery of the presence of evil in a universe created by a good and loving God. I have used Sheen’s material from this book on CAF a number of times, especially as an apologetic response to the idea that the presence of evil indicates that a good and loving Creator does not exist.

Socrates Meets Jesus
by Dr. Peter Kreeft
amazon.com/Socrates-Meets-Jesus-Questioner-Confronts/dp/0830823387/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298308035&sr=1-1
The premise of this book is that Socrates from ancient Greece suddenly finds himself transported over time and space to a modern-day university (which teaches religious studies) with the ability to speak and understand English. The book is a dialog between Socrates and students / professors over the identity and teachings of Christ. Because Socrates lived before the birth of Jesus, he has to learn about Jesus from what people tell him and what the Bible says. Because people have different (and conflicting) ideas and opinions about Jesus, Socrates has to render truth from all this using, of course, the Socratic Method. In short, this book is Kreeft’s application of the Socratic Method to support a traditional and orthodox understanding of the nature of Christ and how God interacts with this world. Although this book involves philosophy, it is written in a way that everyone can comprehend and appreciate.

The Unaborted Socrates
by Dr. Peter Kreeft
amazon.com/Unaborted-Socrates-Dramatic-Surrounding-Abortion/dp/0877848106/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298309208&sr=1-1
As a sequel to Kreeft’s Socrates Meets Jesus, this book places his Socrates character in the midst of the Pro-Life / Pro-Abortion debate. It contains some of the best Pro-Life arguments that I have read, and shows that the debate over the issue of abortion need not be as scientifically and philosophically complicated as some try to make it.

I agree the preceeding books listed are wonderful, and have read many of them. For myself however, I would add that most of the books by John Henry Newman are excellent resources for Catholic apologetics.
[LIST]
*]Newman was a convert himself
*]Newman was a model of Christian charity and Pastoral concern
*]Newman was highly educated and understood the subtle and deep doctrines of the Church
*]Newman’s Apologia Pro Vita Sua is the book I would recommend first
[/LIST]

The Confessions of St. Augustine
Coming Back Stronger: Unleashing the Hidden Power of Adversity-Drew Brees (I’m a Saints fan, I’m obligated by law to put that, but it really is a good book.)

And I just started reading Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict 16, and it is fan-freakin-tastic. Very insightful and thought provoking. I can’t say it’s a favorite yet b/c I haven’t finished it, but I can definitely see myself reading it again once I finish.

Along with the modern apologists’ works already listed and keeping it to five selections here’re my favorites:

Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton
The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton
The Catholic Church and Conversion by G. K. Chesterton

Devotional works:

Light and Peace by R. P. Quadrupani.
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.

These made the greatest impact on my life. Of course, there are many other titles by other authors, mostly by saints and a couple of Protestants, C. S. Lewis, for instance, and the astoundingly brilliant works of J. R. R. Tolkien, which cannot be classified within the bounds of current discussion.

*]Armchair Mystic: Easing into Contemplative Prayer by Mark E. Thibodeaux
Anything by Scott Hahn
What Catholics Really Believe by Karl Keating
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Rosary: Mysteries, Meditations and the Telling of the Beads by Kevin Orlin
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver (FANTASTIC!!!)
Having a Mary Spirit also by Joanna Weaver

Also, while not Catholic Elizabeth George has great Bible Studies and books for women. I particularly like A Woman After God’s Own Heart.

Christian fiction books are a good way to help the chracters of the Bible come to life or to see the hand of God in daily life while still being entertained. For women, anything by Francine Rivers is great. First read, Redeeming Love…you will thank me! For those who like more action, try Ted Dekker. His books are very much like what you would expect in modern fiction and movies. The Black-Red-White trilogy is full of so much metaphor and action that any reader who is a fan of such genres will be drawn in.

I just read Hungry Souls - Supernatural Visits, Messages and Warnings from Purgatory by Gerard J.M. van den Aardweg, Ph.D. and found it super interesting. I would highly recommend it, because it just seems like purgatory isn’t talked about as much as it should be.

I have lots of favorite books.

St. Faustina’s Diary of Divine Mercy
Light of the World by His Holiness Benedict XVI (Reading it now on Kindle)
In the Interest of Justice, by Patrick Johnson

Apologetics:

*Rome Sweet Home *by Scott and Kimberly Hahn (when I finished reading it I knew I had to become Catholic because I realized the Catholic Church was the true Church)

*Surprised by Truth I *edited by Patrick Madrid --conversion stories with scriptural evidence for Catholic teachings

*Evangelical is Not Enough *by Thomas Howard. Written while Howard was still an Anglican, but beautifully presents the incarnational principle at the heart of Catholic teaching, the “why” behind sacraments, etc.

Other:

*The Life of Christ *by Bishop Fulton Sheen
*The Lord *by Romano Guardini

Thanks I have a lot to add to my wish list.

Padre Pio, Man of Hope, Imitation of Christ, Confessions of St.Augustine, The Francis Trilogy

My top five after the bible are:

–Catechism of the Catholic Church
–Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Kreeft and Tacelli
–Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments by Scott Hahn.
–A Biblical Defense of Catholicism by Dave Armstrong
–Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott

…plus many others…it is really hard to choose!

I would like to add “By What Authority?” by Mark Shea. A delightful and very readable book.

Pax,
++N

Piers Paul Read: Hell and Other Destinations Read is a well-known British writer and perhaps Britain’s leading lay apologist

Karl Keating: Catholics and Fundamentalism. CAF’s own.

James Schall: The Mind That is Catholic. One of the many excellent books by a Jesuit, Chesterton scholar and a leading political philosopher.

H.W. Crocker: Triumph: The Power and Glory of the Catholic Church. A well-written and sound Church History.

Pope John Paul II: Be Not Afraid.

Okay, this is going to seem a terrible departure from the pattern others have established with their very good recommendations; all of them admirable. My favorites are not directly religious books, but they made a very strong religious impression on me.

So here goes:

Gulag Archipelago, Volumes 1, 2 and 3. Never have I read a more in-depth exposition of how evil finds its nest in the human heart, or how it can be expunged. Never have I read a better exposition of how suffering can purify the soul. Possibly my favorite passage is about the gold mines in the Kolyma, where people were driven out to dig out flecks of gold from the frozen ground in minus 40 degree weather, wearing nothing but sacks. Solzhenitzn said that one cannot become truly holy “…until it is a matter of complete indifference to him whether he is, or is not, in the Kolyma.” Astonishing! All three volumes are like that. Solzhenitsyn was Russian Orthodox, but he admired Catholics very much, and, like most fervent orthodox, his moral sense is on all fours with Catholicism.

A Canticle for Leobowitz. A very Catholic sci-fi exemplification of how we corrupt ourselves and our world by seeking to create Edens on this earth for ourselves; refusing to accept that we cannot go back and create misery by our efforts to attempt it.

The Red Horse. A very Catholic historical novel about Italian soldiers in Russia (yes, there were some there) during WWII, about their home front, and how materialism corrupts a just society so quickly. A remarkable exemplification of how people can be holy in their ordinary lives.

The Power and the Glory. A novel about an alcoholic priest “on the lam” during the persecution of Catholics in Mexico. About sin, our often fruitless attempts to be better, and how we can nevertheless achieve spiritual heroism, almost unawares.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.