Favortie John Wayne Movie

The Quiet Man, True Grit, The Shootist, The Cowboys, Return to Bataan.

Stagecoach! THE iconic John Wayne movie!

Also: Flying Tigers, Flying Leathernecks, They Were Expendable, In Harm’s Way, Chisum, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Quiet Man, The Sands of Iwo Jima, True Grit, Rooster Cogburn, The Searchers, The War Wagon, The Sons of Katie Elder. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, The Comancheros, The Shootist, El Dorado, The Fighting SeaBees, Fort Apache, Red River, Rio Bravo, The Undefeated, Hatari, HellFighters, Back to Bataan, McLintock, Big Jake.

Best Forgotten:
The Conqueror (Wayne as Genghis Kahn speaking in cowboy dialect)
Wake of the Red Witch (Wayne battles an octopus)
The Fighting Kentuckian (Wayne’s sidekick is Oliver Hardy. 'Nuf said)

I haven’t seen that many John Wayne movies, but there are some that I really do want to watch! However out of the ones that I have seen I have to say that Donovan’s Reef. One of the funniest movies I have ever seen because it makes no sense at all. To me it just seemed like John Wayne wanted to go on a vacation to Kauai and so he decided to make a movie there. The movie could have probably been like a 20 minute movie, but since they added a whole bunch of hilarious nonsensical scenes with Lee Marvin, the movie just didn’t seem to make any sense at all, but I still really liked it. Plus there was beautiful scenery of Hawaii!!

I have to put McLintock on my list too. The scene where GW finally gets tired of Katherine’s crud and spanks her is hilarious. She got what she deserved for being such a brat. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Shootist, even more than The Searchers. Everyone knew it was the Duke’s last (Rooster Cogburn and the Lady was filmed earlier, released later) and he was acting it without acting–and the talent, Jimmy Stewart, Richard Boone, young Ron Howard, Harry Morgan–and of course Lauren Bacall–and you can tell Wayne’s cancer was getting to her with her history of being with Bogie through his battle with oral cancer.

The original novel is far bleaker and darker. Wayne looked at the original script which was closer to the source and said “I can’t play that” So they changed it.

recently revived on TCM and one I had not seen, provides an interesting and honest look at the state of college football in the years it was made (40s)

I thought it might be a breakout movie for the female lead whose name I forget, but it is priceless for the out of the rut part for Lee Marvin, and the Cesar Romero part with his houseman, kind of precursor of Fantasy Island

I know it’s not John Wayne or anything…but I’ve been feeling pretty good about myself being able to sit through an old western. :smiley:

It was Clint Eastwood, I think? ‘Two Mules for Sister Sara’?? I loved that movie. It was great - I’m way more likely to watch a western now. :smiley:

Just remembered that Donovan’s Reef also had Jack Warden in the movie too. The first movie I saw him in was While You Were Sleeping and there is a dinner scene where the entire family is just rambling on about random things, probably one of the funniest scenes in the entire film, and Jack Warden’s character mentions Cesar Romero, who I had no idea who he was, and once I saw Donovan’s Reef I realized that there was actually some sense in that dinner seen in WYWS!! It surprised me so much because I thought they were just blurting out random names of actors, but since Jack Warden was in the movie and Cesar Romero’s name and John Wayne’s name were both mentioned during that scene, everything makes a little bit more sense now!!

The Quiet Man is far and away my favorite, but I can’t not mention Stagecoach, The Searchers, anything else with Maureen O’Hara, Three Godfathers, The Longest Day, Sands of Iwo Jima…I could go on for a while.

One I really want to mention just because it seems like a lot of people I talk to have never heard of it or seen it is Island in the Sky. It’s a wonderful movie and, in my opinion, is one of his best performances. If you haven’t seen it, go buy it (not rent, buy).

My favorite since I first saw it on the big screen (at a drive-in) as a 6 year old in 1962 is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

My second favorite is The Searchers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.