Favourite Bible Verses

" Today a Saviour has been born to you in David’s city, who is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2:11)

4 Likes

"While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep. " (Acts 7:59-60)

5 Likes

Acts 7:48 Yet the Most High does not dwell in houses made with human hands;as the prophet says,
49 ‘Heaven is my throne,and the earth is my footstool.What kind of house will you build for me, says the Lord,or what is the place of my rest?50 Did not my hand make all these things?’

55 But filled with the Holy Spirit, he gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 “Look,” he said, “I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”

3 Likes

Dear Rob,

Every verse in Scripture is a “jewel” and I have too many “favourites” to list; but starting with my youth, I believe the first verse which touched me deeply was from the Annunciation scene in Luke:

Behold the Handmaid of the Lord, be it done to me, according to your word." (Luke 1:38)

I shortened it to the Latin word, “Fiat” since I had just begun to study Latin in High school and used to write that word on the top of papers in Catholic School. Ven. Fulton Sheen used to write JMJ at the top of his blackboard (shortening the names of Jesus, Mary and Joseph) – maybe I copied his idea.

In my adult years, especially after making a 45 day retreat on the Gospel of John, several verses from John’s Gospel continue to be favorites, but perhaps these most of all:

Behold your Mother (Jn 19:27)

Remain in Me…(Jn 15:4)

This is My commandment: love one another as I love you. (Jn 15: 12)

…the Spirit of truth, … will guide you to all truth. (Jn 16: 13)

So many more verses from both Old and New Testaments, are precious to me because all of them are God’s “Self-Revelation”. All He is and All He does is beautiful! Thanks for reminding us all with this thread. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

John 15:13, Mark 2:1-12, and Matthew 16:18 are probably my favorites but there are a lot of others I really like also:

Matthew 5:27-28

Matthew 9:13

Matthew 18:18

Matthew 4:4

Galatians 5:13

Luke 6:36

2 Samuel 24:14

1 Peter 1:3

Hebrew 4:16

James 2:17-18

Notice that I like the Gospel of Matthew a lot lol

3 Likes

Matthew 28:20(b) NASB:

"And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

8 Likes

John 1:45-46 . It totally sounds like two bros talking about Cleveland, or maybe Parma, Ohio.

Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one about whom Moses wrote in the law, and also the prophets, Jesus son of Joseph, from Nazareth.” But Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come from Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.”

5 Likes

Romans 8:31-39

If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son but handed Him over for us all, how will He not also give us everything else along with Him? Who will bring a charge against God’s chosen ones? It is God who aquits us. Who will condem? It is Christ who died, rather was raised, who also is at the right hand of God, who intercedes for us. What will separate us from the love of Christ? Will anguish, or distress, or or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or the sword? As it is written, “For Your sake we are being slain all day, we are looken upon as sheep to be slaughtered”. No, in all these things we conquer overwhelmingly through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord"

3 Likes

My favourite is John 3:17.

1 Like

From Genesis chapter 22. Poignant and prophetic. I’ll never forget the way it moved me the first time I read it.

" 7 And Isaac said to his father Abraham, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” He said, “Behold, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” 8 Abraham said, “God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.” So they went both of them together."

2 Likes

" The word was made flesh and pitched his tent among us." (What I believe is the literal translation of John 1:14)

2 Likes

And Jesus asked ’ Who do you say that I am’’ Peter said in reply. ‘You are the Messiah. the Son of the living God.’

1 Like

Romans 8:28 We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.

2 Likes

" When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi." (Matthew 2:16)

0 Likes

6 Likes

There’s so many verses that I like. I’m currently reading through Psalms and one verse that stands out to me is Psalm 27:8
Thou hast said, “Seek ye my face.” My heart says to thee, “Thy face, O Lord, do I seek.”

1 Like

" On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him." (Matthew 2:11)

1 Like

“Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” (Rev 3:20)

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.