Favourite Bible Verses

Mark 4:38 But he was in the stern, his head on the cushion, asleep.

" God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." ( 1 Cor 1:27 )

John 21:17- “He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.”

" But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions–it is by grace you have been saved." (Ephesians 2:4,5)

Rob2, Mark and Gary David,

Thanks for your “hearts” indicating you liked the words I posted – actually I was merely repeating and thanking you, Mark, for you said it before I did. :slight_smile:

The Beauty and importance of Mary’s “yes” is something many are forgetting inside and outside the Catholic Church. It grieves me to see how often she is dishonored under the pretext or misunderstanding that Catholics are giving Mary too much honor . It was God who honored her first and most in choosing her to be the Mother of His Only Begotten Son, His Word made flesh in the great Mystery of God’s Love revealed in the Incarnation.

We are all called to holiness and we find Him coming to us the first time in the womb of Mary, by the power of His Holy Spirit. Her “Yes” to God is intended to be ours for she is Mother and Model for the Church. Jesus came through Mary by the power of His Holy Spirit the first time, and he will continue until He comes through her in Glory at the end.

Yes, a million times Yes, let us thank God for His gift of Mary. By His Grace, let us hear with the “ears of our hearts” Jesus tell us from His Cross:

Behold your Mother

By God’s Grace let us obey those words as John the Beloved Disciple did and take her not only into our homes but into our hearts. I wonder how many will be receiving Holy Communion in Reparation on this First Saturday of March.

Not all churches have a Mass every Saturday except for vigil Masses to celebrate Sunday Liturgy. If you are unable to participate in a Saturday Mass and Holy Communion in Reparation for the blasphemies committed against God and His Mother, then offer your Saturday evening Mass or even Sunday, but offer her your love in union with the Love offered to her by her Firstborn – our Brother and the Son of God, Jesus Christ.

10 whatsits .

Thank you @MariaChristi .

The Pieta - - - - - - - - - -

image.jpg639×640 117 KB

I don’t know if this makes any sense to you , or even if it makes theological sense .

I see the Pieta from two sides .

Looking at it facing Mary , I see the Father placing the body of His son into the arms of Mary .

Why does He do this ?

The Father is placing the saving work of Jesus , our salvation in fact , into the hands of our Mother Mary . It is hers .

Looking at the Pieta from Mary’s side , I see the role Mary our Mother has been given by the Father in the " Behold your Mother " .

The saving work accomplished by Jesus on the Cross , our salvation , now Mary’s possession , comes to us from the very hands of Mary .

We cannot but be saved through Mary . The Father has chosen this way .

What do you think ? Am I just rambling ?

Dear Rob,

That is an interesting perspective you have from two sides. Actually the passion narrative in John’s Gospel, tells us:

…After this, Joseph of Arimathea, secretly a disciple of Jesus for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate if he could remove the body of Jesus. And Pilate permitted it. So he came and took his body. Nicodemus, the one who had first come to him at night, also came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes weighing about one hundred pounds.They took the body of Jesus and bound it with burial cloths along with the spices, according to the Jewish burial custom. Now in the place where he had been crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had yet been buried. So they laid Jesus there because of the Jewish preparation day; for the tomb was close by… (Jn 19: 38 - 42).

Mt 27: 57-60 is similar:

…When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea named Joseph, who was himself a disciple of Jesus. He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus; then Pilate ordered it to be handed over. Taking the body, Joseph wrapped it in clean linen and laid it in his new tomb that he had hewn in the rock. Then he rolled a huge stone across the entrance to the tomb and departed…

Luke 23: 50 - 53 tells us:

Now there was a virtuous and righteous man named Joseph who, though he was a member of the council, had not consented to their plan of action. He came from the Jewish town of Arimathea and was awaiting the kingdom of God. He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. After he had taken the body down, he wrapped it in a linen cloth and laid him in a rock-hewn tomb in which no one had yet been buried.

While your perspective is interesting and poetically beautiful, the testimony of God’s Word in the Gospels indicates otherwise. I’m inclined to think after Jesus died, John the Apostle took Mary to his home, seeing her now as Jesus told Him to: “Behold your Mother”. Mary was now a part of John’s life in a new way.

It is also possible that while Joseph of Arimathea was going to Pilate and asking for the Body and then returning and taking the Body down John could have waited with Mary, but no mention is made of Jesus being placed in her arms. So I tend to think they left, knowing others would take care of Jesus’ body. I believe Mary had faith that He would rise again, so was willing to leave the place of death to await His rising.

There is only One Savior and that is Jesus, God’s Word made Flesh, yet the Church recognizes Mary as having such a unique union with Jesus as the New Adam and Mary as the New Eve in the New Birth for us in Baptism. Mary perfectly cooperated with the Redeemer – never as equal but cooperating, working with Him as Mother and Model for us.

Perhaps Michelanglo’s “Pieta” conveys something similar to your perspective: Mary holding Jesus in His death, as in birth – as she also holds us, according to the Father’s Plan. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

It is touching to read it was a “righteous man” - Joseph - who took Jesus’ Body down from the Cross.

" It is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God." (Ephesians 2:8)

" I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith." (Ephesians 3:16, 17)

“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10)

“Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls.” (Matthew 11:29).

If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. ( 2 Cor 5:17)

And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. (Colossians 3:14)

‘For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government will be upon his shoulder, and his name will be called “Wonderful Councillor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace”’ Isaiah 9:6

‘Above all hold unfailing love for one another, since love covers a multitude of sins’ 1 Peter 4:8

Genesis 15:1 – After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: ‘Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.