Favourite Protestant/non-Catholic Hymns!

Some of them are wonderful!

We’ll take original hymns by protestants, or hymns written by protestants from a Catholic inspiration. We’ll also take mistakes - but please make the correction kindly :slight_smile:

Some may be by authors, or be submitted by posters, who would reject the term “protestant”. I apologise if the term offends, but it is getting a bit tricky to write for every sensibility - and I would like to give credit to the hymn anyway!

Here are some of my favourites -

[LIST]
*]Alleluliah, Sing to Jesus William Chatterton Dix
*]On Jordan’s Bank the Baptist Cry Charles Coffin
*]Come Down O Love Divine. From a poem by St Catherine of Sienna, but the familiar translation is by Rev. Richard F. Littledale, and the music by is Vaughan-Williams. I’ve rarely heard it in a Catholic Church :frowning:
*]Love Divine, All Loves Excelling Charle’s Wesley
*]When I Survey The Wondrous Cross Isaac Watts
*]Dear Lord and Father of Mankind John Wittier
[/LIST]

This list very much reflects my origins in High-Church Anglicanism, but I hope to get nominations for hymns from a variety of protestant backgrounds.

A Mighty Fortress
Tallis Third Mode

Ein Feste Burg ist Unser Gott!

If great music could prove a theological position, then Bach’s Cantata for the Feast of the Reformation would almost do it! :smiley:

Precious Lord, Take My Hand, by Thomas A. Dorsey

I love *How Great Thou Art *and Amazing Grace.

And at the moment, I am into My Jesus, My Saviour (Shout to the Lord), although I don’t think it is really as good musically as the other two I’ve mentioned.

Yeah, you’ve really got to give the Protestants credit especially on things like:
[LIST]
*]For All the Saints
*]Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones
*]Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
*]O God Beyond All Praising
*]How Great Thou Art
[/LIST]
And is there anything you can’t sing to the Old 100th? What a great little tune.

For All the Saints is one of my all time favourites! Stirring words, and a stirring tune. I only recall singing it once in a Catholic Church. That was in Canada - I don’t think the Australian Catholic Church has heard of it.

Wow, I didn’t realize that For All the Saints was written by a Protestant! I love that one.
Most of my favorite Protestant-written hymns are Christmas hymns, like Hark the Herald Angels Sing (Charles Wesley).

I would have to say (even though it was based on a Catholic poem from the - 10th century? - medieval ages): “O Sacred Head Now Wounded,” as performed by Fernando Ortega. I have only ever heard Protestants sing it . . . come on people - we thought of it first! :smiley:

Also, “Mary Did You Know?” was written by a Protestant, and I like it.

• I’m a pilgrim *is one of my faves. The link shows a pentecostal preacher sing the song. Amazing, so upbeat and full of joy :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=gOkpMaQ3Rcs

I’ll fly away is another one I like.

All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name.
To be honest, I really wish we would sing this on the feast of Christ the King. It would be perfect!:smiley: But then again… It’s a protestant hymn.

youtube.com/watch?v=w_-OOjRv01o&feature=related

Two songs I love-and from mainstream radio-one is on the wings of a snow, white dove-and the other is I can only imagine, by Mercy Me. The first song I don’t remember who sings it yet it was a big hit from the '50s era-my mom used to play it all the time when I was growing up-and she was catholic, too. As for Mercy Me, I can only imagine-that song brings goose bumps every time I hear it-sometimes leads me teary-eyed. :blush::thumbsup:

I forgot to mention on the previous post that the song by Ocean, Put your hand in the hand of the man who stilled the water…the man from galilee-oh-how I love that song, too-lots of awesome mainstream Christian music, including one from Sister Jean, Our Father which also played on the radio air waves in the '70s. Many meaningful songs back then. :slight_smile:

As a Methodist, I grew up with many hymns by Charles Wesley. Some of my favorites are:

Oh for a thousand tongues to sing.
Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
Christ, from whom all blessings flow.

Other protestant hymns include:
Amazing Grace (probably my all time favorite)
It is well with my soul
What a Friend we have in Jesus
The Old Rugged Cross
Rock of Ages
and The Doxology

I love those old hymns and could never understand why Catholics did not have them until I understood the truth of the Eucharist.

Thankyou everyone for your responses! This is just what I hoped for in starting this thread - a recognition of what we have received from our Protestant brethren, a celebration of good music from many backgrounds, and something from the heart!

Anyone who ever watched Stacey’s Country Jamboree, a show that originated in Bangor,Maine could never listen to “On the Wings of a Snow White Dove” with a straight face. :smiley:

Put Your Hand, the song by Gene MacLellan, who also wrote Snowbird.

I remember Our Father, it played a lot at home too.

My favorite, Fairest Lord Jesus (played on guitar in the video), had it’s origins in the Catholic faith but the last stanza was written by a Lutheran pastor, Joseph A. Seiss in 1873.

Once again, thankyou to everyone who has thrown in their personal favourites! The variety of backgrounds is most interesting, and even more than I anticipated when I posted.

For the beauty of the earth (trad version)
youtube.com/watch?v=o1AamNBctBM

Be still my soul
youtube.com/watch?v=3ihh0TMpC7M

Abide with me
youtube.com/watch?v=9bqrRNowf1Q

Breathe on me breath of God
youtube.com/watch?v=1vCBrJWfKD8

All creature of our God and King (via St Francis)
youtube.com/watch?v=20P_NAx3vjc

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.