Favourite verses

What are some of your favourite verses in the bible? I don’t ask for the single favourite verse because I know that that is very difficult thing to narrow down.

Some of my favourites would be:

“See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” 1 John 3:1

“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.” Romans 3:23-26
Those verses just make me go whoa!!!

There are heaps more but I would pick those as my top two.

What about you?

John 3:16 is my favorite verse. It shows God’s mercy and love.

I like 3:17 as well!

Be watchful,
stand firm in your faith,
be courageous,
be strong.
Let all that you do
be done in love.

1 Corinthians 16:13-14

John 16:33 “These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world.”

Tobit 12:13 (Vulgate) “And because thou wast acceptable to God, it was necessary that temptation should prove thee.”

I can’t pick one.
No matter what verse speaks to me, there is always another that I find that also has impact.

Matthew 16:18-19

John :46-57:D

John 20:19-23:thumbsup:

I’m guessing you mean John 6:46-57.

Isaiah 53:5 : But He was pierced for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The Chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
And by His scourging we are healed.

John 18:37: Everyone who hears the truth hears my voice.

And many others: John 1, John 3:16, Luke 14:11, Revelation 12:9.

Revelation chapter 21 verse 4, 1st Corinthians chapter 13 verse 13, Zechariah Chapter 7 verse 10. Romans chapter 2 verse 6, Matthew chapter 5 verse 4, John chapter 6 verses 51 through 53, John chapter 15 verse 13, 2 Corinthians chapter 12 verse 9, Philippians chapter 2 verse 6. Pretty much all of Hebrews chapter 11 which I have to say has been popping up a lot in my life lately even though I haven’t read it in a while.

Matthew 28:20 ‘And look, I am with you always; yes, to the end of time.’

:blush:YEA!
Thanks

My favourite verse ever and which is easy to remember also is Mathew 16:16 which is" You are Christ the son of the living God ". It is probably the most important and glorious revelation in the bible which is attested by none other than our saviour himself. Whenever I doubt the genuineness or correctness of something in the bible it is this verse which gives me the proof ,assurance ,strength and courage to blindly hold on to Jesus.
When I am with children I make it a practice to challenge them to say any bible verse with the chapter and verse no. While most of them can say many verses they canot say the exact chapter and verse no. I then tell them this verse. Since this verse is easy to remember and so also is the twin figure of 16 and 16 they will not forget this and I have noticed that nobody failed the second time if I ask this question.

The Redneck Ten Commandments

1. There is a God, you ain’t Him; don’t forget it.

2. Don’t let nothing come between you and God; not your Bass Boat, not your Pick-Up Truck, not your golf clubs: not even your wife & kids.

3. Don’t say nothing bad about God; don’t use His name in a bad way.

4 Sunday is the Lord’s Day, not your day. Saturday is your day.

5 Always be good to yo’ mama, and yo’ daddy.

1. Don’t kill nobody, even if they need killing. Leave that up to God.

2. Keep yo’ pants zipped up when they ought to be zipped up.

3. Don’t take nothing that ain’t yours.

4. Don’t lie, and don’t be talking bad about people. Remember what your Grandmama use to say, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

5. Don’t be eyeballing anything that belongs to your neighbor, or anybody else.

home.earthlink.net/~wsew/redneck_ten.htm

That sounds like an accurate description of Southern culture.

Ezekiel 23:20

Maybe not #6. Or there’d be less executions in Texas.

My favorite to this day is Ezekiel 23:20. I found it in a King James BIble in my middle school one time. It was so bizarre. Later I learned what it meant.

I am surprised that they even had the Bible in school.

“And doted upon her paramours, whose members were like those of donkeys and whose issue was like that of horses”, please note the text I use is the RSV second Catholic edition. Actually reading the verses before it I don’t think you can just take that verse out of context you have to know what is said afterwards and before it. Still though if I saw that is random verse I would probably be a bit confused too

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.