FBI investigates possible hate crime after Kansas City teen is run over by SUV

A 15-year-old was run over by a driver of an SUV outside of a Somali community center in Kansas City, MO yesterday, which police say was a deliberate act. The incident nearly severed the boy’s legs, and he died later in the hospital.

After his arrest, the driver was found to have a machete and other weapons in his vehicle.

Kansas City police spokeswoman Kari Thompson said early on Friday that the death was being investigated as a homicide.

Federal agents are assisting in the investigation and “also have opened this matter as a federal civil rights investigation as a potential hate crimes violation”, according to FBI spokeswoman Bridget Patton.

Opening a federal investigation so quickly?

And yet the just as vicious hammer attack in St Louis isn’t being called a “hate crime” or being federally investigated . :hmmm:

What would be the reason for a delay in investigating this boy’s death?

That’s up to local authorities, don’t you think?

It’s up to local authorities to delay an investigation? Why would they want to do that?

What I’m saying is this is a local issue and should be investigated locally. Why should the Feds be involved at all?

Federal authorities are involved because there may have been a federal crime committed.

I can’t speak for Denise, but believe what she is saying is that why are the feds involved in hate crimes where it is white on black and not the other way around.

Here are some of the details of the black on white killing in St. Louis that the feds did not consider a hate crime.

foxnews.com/us/2014/12/05/relatives-gather-to-mourn-bosnian-man-murdered-in-st-louis-hammer-attack/

Federal Crime should pertain to the Hammer attack as well, but to be fair, that is another thread though I would say the hammer attack sounds like violating someone’s civil rights as well.

Here’s a BBC report about Zemir Begic’s murder and calls for his death to be more fully investigated.

Mr. Begic’s murder and this boy’s murder are different crimes committed by different people. Questions about why they’re being investigated differently is a wholly separate conversation that deserves its own thread.

Yes, thank you. And also, the mere idea of the hammer attack being a “hate” crime was dismissed very early into that investigation. And of course, the race of the victim and the race of the perps don’t suit the feds agenda.

My first thought upon reading the thread title was the same as yours.

Praying for the repose of this child’s soul.

I am confused as to who was run over. Was it someone from the Somali community or what race was the person killed or was the person killed an American?
The boy must have been hit at a high rate of speed. Very sad.

Ahmed H. Aden, 34, of Kansas City, was charged Friday in Jackson County in the crash outside a Somali community center that killed 15-year-old Abdisamad Sheikh-Hussein.

newser.com/article/5302a635e2654009ab01d4b9401de9be/driver-charged-with-murder-in-death-of-muslim-teen-at-kansas-city-somali-community-center.html

I don’t believe we have the names of the accused and deceased in the original story, so this has come out since.

So it sounds like they are from the same community.
Thanks for the link. I wonder if it was intentional like a vendetta of some sort or if it was an unfortunate accident.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.