FBI moving in on last four occupiers at Oregon wildlife refuge

reuters.com/article/us-oregon-militia-idUSKCN0VK05F

Federal agents on Wednesday moved in on the last four anti-government militants still holed up at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, the FBI said in a statement.

The four protesters were indicted last week along with 12 others previously arrested on charges of conspiring to impede federal officers during the month long armed standoff at the compound.

The takeover at Malheur, which began on Jan. 2, was sparked by the return to prison of two Oregon ranchers convicted of setting fires that spread to federal property in the vicinity of the refuge.

The occupation, led by Ammon Bundy, also was directed as a protest against federal control over millions of acres public land in the West.

This is happening now. Reading various reports it appears the occupiers are still trying to negotiate their release and refusing to surrender.

Live audio feed: youtube.com/watch?v=cOlrSain0lk

~56,000 listening.

Here’s the FBI statement…

“It has never been the FBI’s desire to engage these armed occupiers in any way other than through dialogue, and to that end, the FBI has negotiated with patience and restraint in an effort to resolve the situation peacefully. However, we reached a point where it became necessary to take action in a way that best ensured the safety of those on the refuge, the law enforcement officers who are on scene, and the people of Harney County who live and work in this area.”

I want to scratch out my eyes after seeing some of the very fast-moving comments on that feed.

Yeah, pretty bad. And they are indeed fast moving, aren’t they?

Good. These strangers occupying our land are an annoyance. :eek:

I agree. This has gone on way too long and the FBI has shown an enormous amount of patience and restraint.

Latest news is that they have promised to surrender tomorrow. They seem to think that Franklin Graham is headed there tonight but I’ve seen nothing to confirm that. He was in Atlanta today on some type of tour.

Cliven Bundy has been arrested.

oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/nevada_rancher_cliven_bundy_de.html#incart_river_home

Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher who touched off one armed showdown with federal authorities and applauded another started in Oregon by his sons, was arrested late Wednesday at Portland International Airport and faces federal charges related to the 2014 standoff at his ranch.

Bundy, 74, was booked into the downtown Multnomah County jail at 10:54 p.m.

He faces a conspiracy charge to interfere with a federal officer – the same charge lodged against two of his sons, Ammon and Ryan, for their role in the Jan. 2 takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Burns. He also faces weapons charges.

-snip-

Bundy has been under federal scrutiny since his ranch standoff with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. He has not paid grazing fees on federal land and he owes the agency $1 million in unpaid fees and penalties. He and militia supporters confronted federal agents who had impounded Bundy’s cattle that were found on federal property.

self delete

It’s about time.

Update on Graham: he confirmed that he was headed to Oregon and would arrive there this morning.

The occupiers were due to turn themselves in at 8 a.m. Pacific time- 1/2 hour ago. Prayers for a peaceful resolution with no FBI or other law enforcement harmed. I’m hoping that our Wildlife Refuge will be open to all of us again very soon and that the destruction is minimal and easily repaired.

Live feed is active again. oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/watch_live_video_feed_from_the.html

Updates:

9:51 a.m.: The moderators continue to try to persuade Fry to leave.

9:48 a.m.: Fry says he is feeling suicidal.

9:45 a.m.: David Fry says unless his grievances are heard, he will not come out. The feed moderators, identified as Gavin Seim and KrisAnne Hall, a prominent national face of the so-called patriot movement, are encouraging him to follow through and leave the encampment.

9:43 a.m.: Jeff Banta is heading out, according to the feed.

9:40 a.m.: Sandy Anderson has been arrested, according to the refuge live feed.

9:38 a.m.: Sean Anderson says the occupiers are walking out.

9:34 a.m.: Sean Anderson says on the refuge’s live stream that the FBI is telling the four remaining occupiers to come out one at a time.

Update:

Sean Anderson, Sandy Anderson and Jeff Banta have surrendered.

David Fry is threatening suicide-says he has a gun to his head and wants to have his demands met. Among his demands-doesn’t want his tax dollars to go to abortion and “I just want my marijuana.” Fry is comparing himself to Christ.

Franklin Graham has arrived but is not involved in the conversation with Fry at this time.

Fry surrendered. All four remaining occupiers are in custody. The standoff is over!

washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/11/cliven-bundy-arrested-as-oregon-refuge-occupation-nears-possible-ending/

BURNS, Ore. — The armed occupation of a wildlife refuge ended Thursday morning after more than a month, as the final occupant — a distraught-sounding man who had been yelling about having suicidal thoughts — could be heard surrendering to authorities.

This conclusion, broadcast on a livestream on YouTube, came after a tumultuous 41 days that saw a group seize the refuge before a series of arrests last month left just four people huddled there for two weeks. A law enforcement official said Thursday that the siege had ended peacefully.

FBI Statement:

fbi.gov/portland/press-releases/2016/fbi-arrests-all-remaining-occupiers-at-the-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge

“The occupation of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge has been a long and traumatic episode for the citizens of Harney County and the members of the Burns Paiute tribe. It is a time for healing, reconciliation amongst neighbors and friends, and allowing for life to get back to normal. I want to thank our neighbors in eastern Oregon for their patience, resolve, and their kind and welcoming spirit to the many members of federal, county, state, local, and tribal law enforcement who have worked tirelessly to bring this illegal occupation to a conclusion. The fine work of so many dedicated public servants in a difficult endeavor cannot be understated. I am very proud of them all,” said Billy J. Williams, U.S. Attorney, District of Oregon.

“Much work is left to assess the crime scene and damage to the refuge and tribal artifacts. We are committed to seeing the job done and to pursue justice for the crimes committed during the illegal occupation.”

I’m anxious to see what kind of condition the refuge is in. These wildlife refuges are so beautiful and important and truly one of America’s best ideas. Birders, wildlife photographers, Paiute tribe members, hikers, and just nature lovers in general, have joined together to volunteer to help clean-up any destruction and also to help the staff catch up on time they lost for refuge management projects, like the invasive carp species they’ve been working to eradicate and contain. “This Land is Your Land…”
http://media.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/photo/ibis-at-malheurjpg-c8d681df4bf08154.jpgMalheur Wildlife Refuge

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.