FCC approves plan to allow for paid priority on Internet

The Switch
FCC approves plan to allow for paid priority on Internet

More

BY CECILIA KANG May 15 at 11:38 AM

The FCC’s controversial net neutrality plan has drawn protesters and letters from some of the country’s most powerful companies. (Brian Fung / The Washington Post)
The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted in favor of advancing a proposal that would dramatically reshape the way consumers experience the Internet, opening the possibility of Internet service providers charging Web sites for higher-quality delivery of their content to American consumers.

The plan, approved in a three-to-two vote along party lines, could unleash a new economy on the Web where an Internet service provider such as Verizon would charge a Web site such as Netflix for the guarantee of flawless video streaming.

washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/05/15/fcc-approves-plan-to-allow-for-paid-priority-on-internet/

We have a bunch of idiots in charge…now, I can’t access CAF at the speed of light.

This is stupid. Net neutrality is something we need. It seems to me that this will be abused and websites that ISP’s don’t agree with will be censored by being forced to load at a slower speed.

Yeah, this seems like a terrible idea, rife with the potential for abuse… so, you know, exactly live every other policy this administration has advanced… so… no surprise there.

A decade ago I told people.
“Enjoy your internet now. We’re in it’s “golden age”, it’s not going to like this forever. As soon as government and big corporations can do it, the internet will look like a totally different animal.”

A terrible, terrible idea. Lobby your congresspeople to oppose this attempt to end free enterprise.

I wish I could believe that would work. The reality is, the profit margin is what rules.
What this can easily lead to de facto censorship. This benefits big media companies that are in Washington’s pocket and they know what this will lead to.
Eventually, anyone who wants to put up a website will have to pay a fee, and meet certain criteria. Say goodbye to anything other than major media and big business websites.

I concur. This is going to stifle creativity and hamper the ability to organize grass-roots political movements on-line.

There was a good article in Forbes about how slow and overpriced of the US broadband is compared to the rest of the civilized world.

I’m afraid you are all correct. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.