FDA: Throw away toothpaste made in China (possible poisonous chemical)

WASHINGTON - The government warned consumers on Friday to avoid using toothpaste made in China because it may contain a poisonous chemical used in antifreeze.

Officials said they are primarily concerned about toothpaste sold at bargain retail outlets. The ingredient in question, called DEG, is used as a lower-cost sweetener and thickening agent. The highest concentration of the chemical found in toothpaste so far was between 3 percent and 4 percent of the product’s overall weight.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/chinese_toothpaste

:mad::banghead::mad:

Why are we still doing business with China??? Arghhh!

Because of the “Almighty Dollar” … Chinese products are dirt cheap, and companies can make a fortune importing them … apparently that’s all that matters to them. :mad:

As St Paul wrote: “For the desire of money is the root of all evils; which some coveting have erred from the faith, and have entangled themselves in many sorrows.” (1 Timothy 6:10)

There’s nothing new under the sun

:frowning:

Yeah, yeah, I know. And I buy things made in China :frowning: But I just wish that the world would outlaw Chinese products and then we’d have no choice but to buy from their moral competitors.

How soon can we expect the FDA to put a health wrning on food products from China?

We do business with China because it is our way of Conquering them slowly. When Nixon signed the trade deal with China, it was not because he wanted really cheap goods, it was because it was a way to prevent war if both of our economies were dependent on eachother.

The Chinese are trying to build a modern society with a wealthy population and high standard of living only because they see it as a way to compete with the west and ultimately, give them power politically and militarily. They are gambling on creating a middle class but without the political power the middle class has in the west (democratic gov’ts).

We are betting that if they create a modern western society, their current tyrannical form of government will have to change or it will face revolution like all of the western countries did long ago.

Hopefully we bet right and they dont start a war over Taiwan before that all happens.

Anyways, that is why we trade with china. Im sure some like it cause of the almighty dollar, but that still isnt the biggest priority to our government.

It would be national suicide for us if we cut off trade from china arbitrarily . Think about a country like North Korea but instead with an army that could field upwards of 600 million men (that is twice our total population). Their isn’t much deterrent against that except nukes or… tada interdependent economies.

The FDA really should start labeling things that have ingredients imported from China. Then we can just decide whether or not we want to gamble our health for the sake of avoiding political issues.

Agreed

China is slowing trying to kill us all through sending us tainted products (tongue in cheek). First our pets, now us. Sheesh.

~Liza

Hehe, yeah. It was even more of a slap in the face when they blamed the FDA for being ‘unscientific’ with their findings of their toothpaste. Pretty Arrogant if you ask me. And only over some toothpaste, imagine something more serious. I hope their government never becomes a world power. It is amazing the world thinks the U.S. is evil and imperialistic. If we ever fall and the Chinese take over, everyone will be smacking their heads remembering how good the U.S. really is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.