FDA Weighs Unknowns Of 3-Person Embryo Technique

Scary stuff, and all the scarier because any genetic modifications will be inherited by offspring.

*Genetic experts cautioned the federal government Tuesday that it could take decades to confirm the safety of an experimental fertilization technique that would create babies from the DNA of three people, with the aim of preventing children from inheriting some debilitating diseases.

The Food and Drug Administration heard from supporters and opponents of the provocative technique at a two-day meeting, as the agency considers whether to greenlight testing in women who have defective genes linked to blindness, organ failure and many other inheritable diseases.*

*Marcy Darnovsky of the Center for Genetics and Society said that FDA-sanctioned testing would cross a “bright policy line” into altering genes that will be passed down to future generations.

“It could well be the first time any jurisdiction in the world had authorized intentional genetic modification of children and their descendants. And it would be making this decision with little or no input from the public or elected officials,” said Darnovsky. Her group points out that 40 countries — including Germany and France — have laws banning human genetic changes that are passed on to future offspring.*
npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=282595769

Oh when will we quit this? :frowning:

I think that Germany and France have the right idea.:slight_smile:

Oh brave new world, that has such people in it. :rolleyes:

Combine people who feel entitled to have what they want at any cost, with the immense money-making potential of this technology, I would say that the outcome is a foregone conclusion. So much of ‘science’ is driven by consumer demand and profit-making rather than by ethics (or even commonsense)…it’s just a crying shame.

I agree. :sad_yes:

If people want to hit some of my buttons, these kinds of issues are one of them. :wink: I just don’t understand why people think this is a good idea. “Hmm. I don’t know what I’m going to do today. Oh, I know! I’ll artificially tinker with DNA and create little people! (All in the name of philanthropy and compassion.)” Nature is never forgiving; it is what it is; and we’re content to continue experimenting on people. Where’s the respect?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.