Fear of hell for all eternity

I used to think God might catch me off base, in mortal sin, and God would send me to hell. I don’t believe that now. First, I don’t think I have committed mortal sins because I have never willed to offend God and separate myself from Him, and second, I think God would give me every chance to repent if I did.

There is the risk of presumption, which is also a sin (presuming upon God’s forgiveness and mercy without trying to cooperate with grace). I also hope for some of the things you mentioned above, but I still go to the sacrament of confession regularly, and try to avoid sin in my life. I try to maintain hope, but also a healthy (or balanced) fear of hell (just punishment).

Yes right on! Just looking back I get a different perception.
I read you bio. I was born in 1940 was the Pius XII?

I know it may seem like you haven’t committed a mortal sin, but you need to go to Confession anyway at least once a month or so. You can confess venial sins, and I always say “I ask God’s forgiveness for the sins I don’t know I had committed.” I think if you start going, and do an examination of conscience beforehand, you will begin to have more clarity. Confession has allowed me to see more greatly God’s grace and helps me to avoid the near occasion of sin. He gives it to you for a reason—for you. I’d pray about it and at least try to go every so often for the good of your soul.

I go regularly. Attend morning mass most mornings. Venial sins are
terrible things.

I think it comes down to what is going through your head at the moment of death if you are conscious.

If you can die thinking, “I did my best for others” and with a clear conscience, I would think that the fear of death loses its hold.

Jesus set the example. While he was alive, he did his utmost to teach and heal, even if it meant healing on the Sabbath. When he died, he didn’t have a guilty conscience.

Dying with a guilty conscience must be the hell of hell and, given death is eternal, so too is that hell.

I, for one, want to die with a clear conscience and at peace, even a little happy to know I lived my best.

Meditation on Hell has filled Paradise with Saints. - Pascal

Yes, Pope Pius XII had just begun his reign. He was pope when my older sister and brother were born too.

The hell of Hell is eternal separation from God, and eternal torment for our sins.

There are probably innumerable people in Hell who died with what they considered a clear conscience. Just because you don’t believe you’ve done something wrong doesn’t mean you actually haven’t. I imagine Margret Sanger died with what she considered a clear conscience, doesn’t change the fact that she advocated for the murder of children and the extermination (or at least control) of all non-whites.

Consciences can be malformed and, while they certainly play a role in assessing actual guilt, they are not the measure by which we will be judged.

OP:

God does not want to catch you off base and send you to Hell. If He did, He would catch you after your first sin and kill you then. He also wouldn’t have given us Jesus to save us, and wouldn’t offer us reconciliation to get free of the effects of sin. I know you know this now, but I wanted to reiterate it. God is not waiting in the wings to damn us, He is doing everything short of removing our free will to save us.

Also, willing to offend God isn’t technically necessary for something to be a mortal sin.
A mortal sin requires grave matter, knowledge that it is grave matter, and willful intention to engage in that grave matter in spite of that knowledge.

When I commit a mortal sin, I’m not doing it out of conscious rejection of God, nor do I want to be cut off from Him. I do it because my desire for the sin becomes greater than my desire for God. I never want to be separated from Him, but that doesn’t mean I never commit a mortal sin.

Just always remember to go to confession after you fail, and always work to do better. ^^ I believe that God knows your heart and will give you every opportunity to repent if you genuinely desire to do so.

I think knowledge is more that what you say. I also think moral theologians have debated all this and it is not cut and dry. I am not a theologian but have heard this discusses both ways in the past.

That’s from the Catechism. It’s pretty cut and dry.

The question of deliberate consent has been discussed a lot, especially as it relates to addictive behaviors, but what is required for a mortal sin is pretty much set in stone.

Yes full knowledge and deliberate consent. Means you have to know that you are cutting yourself from God and really want to do that.

I think it’s deliberate consent to commit the sin. It kind of makes more sense this way.

I have no idea who you are -
But fear of Hell - is like fear of God -
It’s a great thing to have.
I hear older Catholics - who are uncertain about Heaven -
And only a fool would say, boldly, I’m going to Heaven !
Even James and John - wanted to be in Heaven - on either side of Jesus …
I’m glad not much is said about Heaven -
But there’s a lot to be said about Hell.

Full knowledge is satisfied by simply knowing the Church teaches an act is a sin of grave matter.

In other words, if you know something is a sin of grave matter and you go ahead and do it anyway that is a mortal sin (assuming no lack of mental capacity or coercion). It does not mean at the very moment you are about to sin you say to yourself I know this is a sin…

This, I don’t think you have to want the consequences. No matter the motive, full knowledge of the act’s sinful character and complete consent to commiting the act (if I know I’ll be cut off from God’s grace by doing it and I do it anyway, I’m still consenting to it even if I don’t desire that consequence) would seem clearly sufficient as per the Catechism for an act of grave matter to be mortal sin.

God does not send anyone to Hell…YOU send youself there. That is why it is said, the door to Hell is locked from the inside.

If we say we have no sin ,we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

1 John 1:8.

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

Romans 3:23

Trusting God is the beginning of salvation.

Heck no! I won’t go! :sunglasses:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.