Fear of Hell

Hello, I am new here. I don’t know if this is the correct spot to post this, but I thought I’d give it a shot.

So a couple of weeks ago a friend and I were talking about what happens after we die. I know that we will end up in one of three places - heaven, purgatory, or hell. What is getting to me, though, is this one thing my friend told me about hell. He said that hell is basically like an eternity of solitary confinement. As soon as he told me this, I suddenly got really scared. I am not usually one who worries much, but the idea of an eternity spent alone thinking about all your regrets and mistakes causes me such anxiety. I’ll be enjoying a good time, and then suddenly start thinking about a dreaded eternity in hell, and I suddenly become so depressed. After all, an eternity is way longer than I can even fathom.

By saying that I’m worried about this, I’m not saying that I’m a bad person. The one thing that worsens my worry, though, is the fact that I rarely attend Mass on Sundays. How can I solve this problem? If I go to confession, confess my sins, and start a habit of going to church every weekend, do you think I’ll be sitting in a better position? What can I do to lower my anxiety level about the whole “fear of hell” thing? Anything would be very much appreciated.

Strive to be a saint.

Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm
**Litany of the Blessed Virgin ** intermirifica.org/Mary/marylitany.htm
**Cathechis of the Popes on Mary, Mother of God, ** catechesisofthepopes.wikispaces.com/Mary
Mystical City of God themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
In Defense of The City of God Mystica Civitate Dei: dailycatholic.org/issue/05Jun/jun10tim.htm - to summarize the research of three priests on the official decision of the Holy Roman Catholic Church regarding The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Jesus of Agreda and to ascertain thereby whether it is permitted for anyone of any authority whatsoever to forbid the reading of this extraordinary book.
The Way of the Cross by St. Josemaria Escriva escrivaworks.org/book/the_way_of_the_cross-point-4.htm
Rosarium Virginis Mariae by His Holiness Pope John Paul II: To the Bishops, Clergy, and Faithful on the Most Holy Rosary vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_20021016_rosarium-virginis-mariae_en.html
The Violence of Love by Archbishop Oscar Romero plough.com/ebooks/ViolenceOfLove.html
Diary of St. Maria Faustina Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

I think you have the right idea. Prayer, church, and the sacraments.

To relieve future anxiety, pray to Our Lady and St. Michael. Thats my advice.

Yes, the Mass has a prayer in it about anxiety, listen for it.
Believe in God’s mercy, He created you out of love, not so that you would have fear. What a wonderful time that the Lord is calling you back, lent is starting soon, the last Wednesday of this month, I believe.

I pray the rosary daily and that is well known to decrease any fear and anxiety as you think of the life of Christ (and His Blessed Mother) while praying, they love you and want you “home.”

Love the Lord with your whole heart, mind and soul and think of pleasing Him in all things. He’ll never let go of you, stay close to HIM.

God is infinitely merciful :slight_smile:

Love God, trust God, and do your best day by day.

The danger is real. But the Love of God is real too.

Hi Shaun,

Sounds like God’s got your attention. He got mine with Hell, too. That nagging fear is a prompting to get to Confession and return to Church.

In my experience, the fear went away once I was in a state of grace and started going to Mass regularly. Definitely go to Confession and then begin keeping the precepts of the Church - which are the minimum one should do to keep a spiritual pulse.

Precepts of the Church
· You shall attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor.
· You shall confess your sins at least once a year.
· You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season.
· You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church.
· You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church.

Well, first, there are only two places to end up: Heaven and Hell. If you’re destined for Heaven but still suffer from concupiscence (the tendency toward sin – e.g., if you’re still subject to anger, or lust, or envy, etc.), then you will first be cleansed of that sin. It will actually be removed from you, so that you no longer feel a tendency to give in to sin. That process is called purgatory; but it is not a final destination. It is only a pause on the way to Heaven.

There’s nothing wrong with fearing Hell; it’s a terrible place. I don’t know that it will necessarily be like solitary confinement, but I know it will be horrible. Personally, I can’t think of anything more horrible than coming into the presence of God on the day of judgment, seeing how wonderful and loving He is, and then realizing that I chose not to be with Him for eternity.

But the good news is that Jesus the Christ died for us and rose from the dead. He is risen; hallelujah! Follow His commands, and you will be saved from the fires of hell.

If you’re having trouble doing that, the Sacraments will help.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am starting to feel a little better already. :slight_smile:

Pope John Paul II said that God doesn’t send anyone to hell, but rather, they go their on their own, by choosing to reject God.

If you ask for God’s mercy, He will give it, and you should have no fear of hell.

Jim

No one knows who ends up where, but your fears are trying to warn you that things are not quite right.

Purgatory is nothing to sneeze at either, infintely better than Hell, but suffering an extended stay there is no picnic.

Missing mass is a serious sin, and missing mass for extended periods is very serious. It’s best to get right with God as soon as you can. At the very least it will give you peace of mind.

Remember to kindle in your heart love of the mass! That should be your reason to go more than fear!

Find a way to benefit the most from being there.

Love, duty, these good things. .

People can miss it for serious reasons – but only for those. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.