Feast of the Assumption celebrations

Today the parish church had its 100th anniversary Feast of the Assumption celebration. The celebration has dwindled a bit over the years - it used to have a picnic and fireworks at night - but now just has a Mass, procession through the downtown, and a prayer service after that with Adoration and Benediction. Still a nice procession with mummers.
Do your parishes have a Mary procession?

IMG_20190811_170030

20190811_144345

20190811_144546

9 Likes

Wow. That’s amazing. Love how the little girls have matching dresses and hair buns. Elaborate musicians’ costumes!

The dollar bills on Our Lady’s sash remind me of a custom of Slovak or Croatian weddings where guests pin them all over the bride’s dress. Does your parish have a particular cultural influence?

4 Likes

Feasts of the Assumption in the parts of USA where I spend time are generally Italian. That’s the Italian flag being carried with the US flag and the state flag at the head of the parade. It’s an Italian custom to pin money to Mary’s mantle during the procession, while saying a prayer to her. In this case they just pinned a couple of dollars on her before the procession started, to honor the tradition, and people don’t actually run up to the statue and pin money on her during the procession. But I have attended a much bigger Feast of the Assumption celebration in Cleveland (which may have the biggest one in the country, it runs for several days and takes up a whole neighborhood and has two huge Mary processions and a giant fireworks display on the last day) where people will still go and pin their money on Mary and she has lots of dollars on her by the end of the procession.

This particular procession in the pictures is celebrating its 100th anniversary. It was organized by an Italian lady parishioner who had lost one child to the 1919 flu epidemic and had a second child who was sick. She organized the procession as a way of asking Our Lady to save her sick child and others in the community who were sick. It became a custom over the years.

5 Likes

I live in the southeast(USA). While we have a growing Catholic community I don’t believe we have such established traditions here. I would be interested in attending if we did.

1 Like

I admit I’m a little concerned about the Assumption being celebrated in my parish…They don’t do any kind of processions or anything, and this year all the Masses are between 9 and 10 am. Thankfully my husband and I took this week off work by random chance…Not sure what everyone else who works is going to do. :frowning:

3 Likes

Well of course the Cajuns have to do theirs on water

It’s cultural and honoring Our Blessed Mother who is represented on the Acadian Flag by a star (Stella Maris—Star of the Sea).

9 Likes

I’d love to see the boat procession some day.

1 Like

Me too except for the heat. Louisiana in August is not pleasant. But for God it’s worth it.

3 Likes

My parish is named after the Assumption and will be having a big feast on Thursday, including food trucks. I am excited to participate.

4 Likes

That procession looks like it was a spectacular celebration of our Blessed Mother!

2 Likes

That sounds very cool.

2 Likes

That sounds awesome! Food truck and Church, that’s a winning combination.

3 Likes

and if after Mass at meal time it would help families who want to share a meal as a family and as a Catholic community.

Father Champagne talking about the Bayou procession and Confession:

https://www.facebook.com/DioceseofLafayette/videos/2457231871167120/?hc_ref=ARRbAj0IzYQPJRtIscMoFHq-w3aHIBFoFgHGej4S2P8ltxHZEXA2NW0LKWrCmx9X_So&xts[0]=68.ARBElu51_yA3ICtzJH9iPiXtHKuzBZLjCcuTkts1SjfGqFGCEpiwsy7WsdEYxEkiKVr7dicOy9NE11xwkycoGQFv22XeDpOJFAD44vZ47indlvanB6dRsaoSo2U2P2mLc6JjM4CLOLpcRFntS0CqXpejo81CJ7lrRHMfAwQKJu91hqe0jlvATzV7JCBXZ0wV8Ry-6rOnlcEj1KHkVvGNbmI-XByKFSC0MKRGPvb57H5NCT163GGAqxOLixAab31cr1HJDHMyNMsixCxPHSc4oJonw_cYqdOjARF6rq7wBLQEqAU93dmCgpdyaRwhLSkOK6MyayTM4R0ilfEDJx-uCt8Xxzbfci-fkyc6WFUs22PIlR7zIQ1IVFmAahT_TLC90784_x9XSJGVV6JretuQ3pdgiDciudoZjRZxigjE8x5SQiA399LuxOQBt6qeGYsXPGhJWsLJVDADijACR0eIcSaO4tqHc74SWrsq3OgM173auw-R-cL2yyIq4V49Bfvsuw&tn=kC-R

1 Like

I love the “Spiritual Care Unit”!

I wish a priest would park one of those on my block because I have to go to Confession tomorrow. I missed 2 Saturdays in a row because of travel and tasks I had to do (I asked Mary to please accept my 7/27 confession for First Saturday) so now I have to drive about 20 miles to and from a church tomorrow that has it on Tuesday. It would be so much easier if the Spiritual Care Unit could just park in the Wawa lot or something and let me run in there.

1 Like

What a great idea! You are so blessed. God bless that priest. We really need more vocations to the priesthood …holy priest. May we ask the harvest master to please send us priest. When our priest goes on vacation we have no daily mass. And much harder to get to confession. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Are you in Philadelphia? Philadelphia has the first and best Mummers Parade

I went to a retreat he gave and he was so on fire he spoke some in English, a few bits in French thrown in and then I call it Father’s Cajun little brief interjections. Was very interesting.

2 Likes

I’m out in the far western burbs, in about the last burb before it turns into farms. The Mummers were obtained from Philadelphia. I am hoping to go to the big parade this year, it’s a little bit of a hassle going because many people use it as an excuse to get very drunk and rowdy and often the weather is cold.

I’m in Montgomery County outside of Philadelphia. Maybe you’re in Chester/Lancaster County.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.