Feast of the Assumption celebrations

Yeah out in Chesco.

Lancaster County is the next diocese over.

1 Like

No Marian celebrations or processions that I’m aware of here in my part of L.A., but our neighboring parish is holding its Fifth Annual Marian Conference in honor of the Assumption of our Blessed Mother this Saturday, with four priests from around the archdiocese giving presentations. The theme this year is Mary and Her Maternal Intercession. I’m planning to attend the morning session :+1:.

2 Likes

Feast of the Assumption is tomorrow and I will be attending the Missa Cantata (High Mass). I really hope the traffic isn’t really bad!

As our Blessed Mother watches over us in the heavenly realm, may we, who are still in this world, have the hope to join with her, to receive eternal joy and gladness.

2 Likes

Happy feast day :slight_smile:
Ours is tomorrow too.

1 Like

You too, Greenfields !

3 Likes

Wow that’s lovely. I’ve never heard of anything like that here. We just have a normal mass and as it’s a day of obligation so there is an evening mass too so people who dont usually make it to weekday mass can go.

3 Likes

From the pictures online it looked like the Fête-Dieu du Teche went very well even though some got rained on.

2 Likes

Tonight I went to a different parish where they were having a candlelight rosary procession after Mass. We processed with our candles out to the “prayer garden” near the church and we all prayed a rosary around the central fountain and then had snacks in the church hall. The full moon (“Our Lady’s Lamp” as St. Jacinta called it) was out and it didn’t rain so it was very nice.

3 Likes

I got fruit blessed. There’s a fruit and herbs blessing (and grain, too, if you want) on Assumption Day that came out of Germany, but I guess it came out the part of Germany that most folks around here didn’t! It’s also a big thing in Armenia, where it coincides with the grape harvest and they mostly bless grapes. In Germany, it often ties in with the barley harvest. The Catholic blessing asks for the “natural powers” of the fruit and herbs to be enhanced, and for them to help with sickness and various kinds of adversity. So you can see why I found it of interest.

My mom hadn’t heard of it, the priest hadn’t heard of it, but it is cool and I got it done. (Downloaded the blessing prayer from Catholic parishes on the Internet, yay! Of course, if you get a special blessing for stuff, you want to give the priest some stipend or stuff afterward. Because they would do it for nothing, but it’s not fair to have them do it for nothing. Of course, if you get the whole parish to do it at Mass, that’s even better.)

Sacramental fruit is cool! I got grapes, tomatoes, and bananas blessed. I forgot to get the cilantro in the basket. so no sacramental cilantro.

Next year, I’m thinking it would be cool to get coffee beans or grounds blessed. Sacramental coffee! Heck, sacramental tea! That would last longer. I do wish I’d had my own fruit and vegetables grown by me, but this has been an unlucky year for my garden.

Obviously there are more harvest blessings coming up later in the year, so anybody who is interested in eating sacramentals should look them up!

2 Likes

We bless flowers and herbs on Dormition and fruit (grapes) for the Feast of the Transfiguration.

1 Like

Really enjoy learning about how others celebrate their Catholic Faith.

2 Likes

From our Marian conference celebrating the Assumption, around the walls of the parish hall are placed statues of Our Lady representing many of her different titles, apparitions, and regional devotions.

WP_20190817_017

WP_20190817_022

WP_20190817_018

4 Likes

christofirst

That is beautiful and very interesting.

1 Like

Wow! That is something truly special!

1 Like

I’m not on Facebook but this is how I got to see the pictures of the Fete Dieu De Teche here in Louisiana. You click on the picture then when it comes up you scroll down the right side of the picture and a white arrow will appear and you keep clicking on that and you can see the many pictures from the different places they went along the Bayou and the different Churches they stopped at a long the way. Beautiful Tradition down here. Makes me PROUD to be a CATHOLIC CAJUN!

2 Likes

Happy to hear of these Assumption festivities. I’ve not seen anything like them in my region, nor growing up! This is a great Marian week with the Coronation on the 22nd.

1 Like

Very wise of you. I’m not on Facebook either :innocent:
And yes it is great to have a boat procession, be proud!

I was for a LONG time and OF COURSE I spoke up for my Catholic Faith. Well I got verbally abused. I mean UGLY. I tried to forgive and still speak up in the best way I could but when people were saying things about My Lord that should never be said—NO WAY. I left and I never looked back. That’s when I came here and THANK YOU LORD I did. So happy I found my way here. Y’all have shown me so much about my Faith and I’ve come to understand I’m not in a little Catholic bubble. I am in a small part of the world but I am not THE world.

It is an example of how social media can bring the worst out of people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.