Feast of Unleavened Bread and the Eucharist

On a different thread, it was mentioned that the night before the crucifixion, when the Last Supper was held and the Eucharist instituted, that this day was the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

Firstly, is this true?

Secondly, is the Feast of Unleavened Bread a foreshadow/prefigure/prophecy of the Eucharist? Or is the timing of the first Eucharist just a co-incidence?

Yep & yep. :slight_smile: Sorry, I’ve got to take my kids out trick or treating now, or else I’d leave you some links. Have a good evening, friend!

If you look at the 7 Feasts of Israel, Jesus fulfilled the first four feasts in order. He was Crucified on Passover, buried on Unleavened Bread, resurrected on First Fruits, and sent the Holy Spirit on the Feast of Weeks(Pentecost).

Parallels between Jesus and the Passover lamb as best I can remember them off the top of my head.

1. It was on 10th day of Nissan that Jesus made His entrance into Jerusalem. Just prior to His descent from the Mount of Olives into the city, the annual procession of the national Passover lamb was taking place.
2. The lamb, which would be taken to the temple in Jerusalem (to be the public sacrifice on 14th day of Nissan for all of Israel), was led into the city from the east. The lamb was met by crowds of people waving palm branches and joyously singing Psalm 118 . Jesus followed exactly the same path to the temple that the Passover lamb had just taken. With the crowds waving palm branches and singing “hosanna”.
3. The Pasach lamb was examined to make sure that it was perfect and without defect. During the period, Pilate and Herod could find no evidence against Jesus or fault with Him.
4. The Passover lamb for Israel was to be killed in the temple on 14th day of Nissan at 3:00 p.m. The Passover lamb in the temple was bound to the altar at about 9:00 a.m. Similarly, It was 9:00 a.m. when they crucified Jesus; and jesus died at 3:00 p.m.
5. As the high priest killed the lamb, he would have announced, “It is finished.” Jesus’ last words were also, “It is finished."
6. Jesus was sacrificed on a wooden cross, the lamb was impaled on a wooden cross to be cooked.
**7. **The blood stains of Jesus’ head, hands, and feet on the cross matched the locations of the blood of the lamb on the doorframe (top, sides, and bottom) of each Hebrew family’s house in Egypt.
**8. **Finally, it was forbidden for any of the Passover lamb’s bones to be broken. After the crucifixion, the legs of the two criminals crucified along with Jesus were broken to ensure that they would die (by suffocation) quickly, as the Feast of Unleavened Bread, 15th day of Nissan, was soon to begin. But Jesus was already dead, so they did not break His legs. This also was a fulfillment of a prophecy of David that none of the Messiah’s bones would be broken.

Hope this helps, and I hope I didn’t remember anything incorrectly.

Stillkickin:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.