Feb. 11 - Our Lady of Lourdes - The Pope on the Amazon Synod

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

This morning, as I pondered the beautiful apparition of Mary our Mother as she appeared to the humble young peasant, St. Bernadette, I thought how significant it is to have this memorial an the day before:

… Pope Francis’ much-anticipated post-synodal apostolic exhortation on the Amazon Synod during a press conference on Feb. 12, the Holy See announced…

The document will be titled Querida Amazonia (“Dear Amazonia”) and will embody the pope’s reflections on the insights and recommendations that came out of the Synod of Bishops on the Pan-Amazonian Region, which was held in Rome last October. (HERE for more on synod)

When little Bernadette asked Mary who she was, Mary replied: “I am the Immaculate Conception”, words the young girl memorized and faithfully repeated without thoroughly understanding what they meant. God chooses the weak to confound the strong. It seems to me those who continue faithful to Jesus through Mary need to pray always for God’s Will as Mary shows us in her words to the servants at Cana recorded by the Beloved Disciple John in his Gospel: “Do whatever He tells you”.

In reading about the apparitions I was struck especially by these two:

The 8th appearance (24 February)

The lady speaks with Bernadette entrusting her with a message, asking prayers for penitence, over 200-300 people were present. The lady said Pray to God for sinners. Kiss the earth as a sign of penitence for sinners!" The lady also told Bernadette to eat the grass growing below the grotto. From that moment every time Bernadette visited grotto she repeated the same act.

The 9th appearance (25 February)

300 people present at the grotto despite the weather being cold. The Lady told Bernadette that she should go and drink at the grotto and wash her self there. Seeing no water Bernadette was confused and therefore went to drink at the Gave. The lady called her back and pointed at a spot just below the grotto to the left. Bernadette started digging with her hands and eating the herbs, she then uncovered a puddle of muddy water. Bernadette obeyed the Lady and carried on scratching the ground until she was able to drink some of the water, after the fourth time of disregarding the muddy water.

When the apparition finished Bernadette said later “I do not know why the lady disappeared” and she went home. Bernadette was interrogated again.

The spring began to flow a day later. – for more about the apparitions see HERE

Besides continuing to pray for the Church, especially the Rosary daily, it seems to me we need to offer penance. praying especially for sinners including ourselves. Let us pray with Mary today, asking the Holy Spirit to give the Pope an increase in the Gift of Wisdom. Let us continue to keep the eyes and ears of our hearts fixed on Jesus as Mary did on Calvary.

Holy Spirit fill the hearts of Your Faithful. Jesus, we trust in You! Mary, Mother of the Church, pray for us.

4 Likes

Dear stoplooklisten,

Thanks so much for your “heart” which lets us know you liked what you read here. I pray others will read and pray with us, through Mary, for the Church of whom she is both Mother and Model.

2 Likes

I must have slept through the amazon synod. Those statues getting chucked in the river was the first I really heard of it.

2 Likes

Dear Gripper,

Unfortunately, Gripper, you are not the only one who may have slept through the Amazon Synod.

Some Catholics have been “sleeping” for a long time, and we need to wake up because as Cardinal Sarah has written “The Day is Far Spent”. You may also want to take a look at the new book written by Cardinal Sarah and Pope Emeritus, Benedict XVI “From the Depths of our Hearts

Our first priority, it seems to me is to pray for the Church and especially for the Pope at this point in time. Today is an especially good day because our Lady of Lourdes has interceded for the healing of so many and miracles have been plentiful at Lourdes! So many have been healed in Body and Soul.

The Church, the Mystical Body of Christ needs to be healed! Mary, Mother and Model of the Church, pray for us! Jesus, we trust in You! Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your Faithful.

2 Likes

Dear Victoria and Stephie

Thanks for your “hearts” I believe Our Blessed Mother prayed with us for the Pope and we can thank God for hearing our prayers. :).

2 Likes

You are a gem Maria Christi,thank you for all that you post on Our Lady and Jesus :blush:

1 Like

Ah my dear Greenfields, Mary is the “gem”, She is our Mother and Model and the “Pearl of Great Price” given to us by Jesus from His Cross. I am privileged to belong to her. I simply am by God’s Grace, striving to help her in her continual bringing of Christ to others.

Thanks Greenfields for reading the threads I offer on CAF – by God’s Grace I trust God blesses those who really “hear” what they need to hear, from anything I try to write for God’s Glory with Mary, through Mary, in Mary and for Mary.

1 Like

Dear Margaret,

Thanks so much for your “heart”! Please let us continue to pray for the Pope and for the Universal Church, through the intercession of our Mother Mary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.