Feb. 20 - Day 1 of 33 day preparation to

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today, Feb. 20, we begin the 33 Days of preparatation to consecrate ourselves to Jesus through Mary on March 25, Feast of the Annunciation. We will follow closely the instructions of St. Louis Marie De Montfort in his treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary”. After explaining what True Devotion is (and is not), the reasons for this devotion and giving us every encouragement to consecrate ourselves totally, he wrote several paragraphs on the manner in which to prepare ourselves for this Consecration:

1. Preparation and Consecration
  1. Those who desire to take up this special devotion… should spend at least twelve days in emptying themselves of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus, as I have recommended in the first part of this preparation for the reign of Jesus Christ. They should then spend three weeks imbuing themselves with the spirit of Jesus through the most Blessed Virgin…

These first 12 days, have no special prayers or practices listed, although you may find some books published by the De Montfort Fathers and others who suggest various Prayers, Spiritual Reading and Spiritual exercises that might help one to prepare. I prefer the simplicity of De Montfort’s words encouraging us to "spend at least 12 days emptying themselves of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus, as I have recommended in the the first part of this preparation for the reign of Christ. " The saint is referring to the first part of his treatise on “True Devotion” which has on its title page: “True Devotion to The Blessed Virgin Mary or Preparation for the Reign of Jesus Christ”

Some of you may have already made this Consecration and may have read the treatise on “True Devotion” many times. If you have not read it, there is an online version HERE , you may want to read a bit each day, or you may simply pray to the Holy Spirit to help you see truly, whatever is in you that may be opposed to the spirit of Jesus, and then ask Him to enable you to empty yourself of whatever it is. Mary is always interceding for us and it is good to ask her help also to see what God wants us see in ourselves.

God willing, I will be prayerfully reading and posting daily, throughout these next 12 days. If you have any questions, please ask and by God’s Grace, I’ll do my best to help. I know St. John Paul II and St. Teresa of Calcutta made this Consecration as well as the founder of the Legion of Mary, Servant of God Frank Duff and they encouraged others to follow St. Louis De Montfort’s holy counsel. I hope many of you will join in this 33 day Journey. Please let us pray with and for one another. Thanks so much.

Come Holy Spirit, kindle in us the Fire of Your Love; through Mary, may Jesus shine through us all!

I’m praying with you, sister MariaChristi. This Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary, being a perfect renewal of our baptismal promises in Mary, is so wonderful I can’t explain it.

“True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis is considered possibly the best book about Mary ever written. The other one that ranks with it is the Glories of Mary, by St. Alphonsus, who also recommends this absolute devotion to Jesus through Mary, and emphasizes the unfathomable extent to which Our Mother loves us in Christ.

And how she constantly goes out in search of the most abandoned sinners.

Anyone can do this devotion. Don’t overwhelm yourself. Just do what you can and constantly say Mary’s name and ask for her guidance.

Praise be for the Infinite Mercy of God in Jesus and Mary!,

Pat

And thankfully we have someone–MariaChristi–to guide us through St. Louis’s program of consecration…:slight_smile:

I’m starting today too. :slight_smile:

Great! It’s so good that we are all Mary’s children! She will guide us all through our first consecration or our renewal of our consecration, culminating on March 25th (the Annunciation-Incarnation).

Thank you for posting. I am looking forward to following along.

Dear Patricius, PluniaZ, dshix, and any others who read this post yesterday.

Thanks so much! Let us continue to pray humbly and gratefully for this opportunity to take this journey of 33 Days toward renewal or Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary for the first time. Yesterday, we set out on the first of 12 days – seeking to empty ourselves of the spirit of the world. Today I will begin a new thread for Day 2, and I hope you will share any insights the Lord may be giving you, or comment on anything I share.

Come Holy Spirit guide us into all the Truth, Who is Jesus, on this journey.
Mary, our Mother, pray for us,
St. Louis de Montfort, pray for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.