Feb. 23 - Day 4 of journey to Consecration

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Gratefully, some have replied, so I know I’m not without companions on this journey of 33 days as outlined by St. Louis de Montfort. We’re preparing to renew or consecrate ourselves for the first time, totally to Jesus through Mary – March 25. It’s a blessed experience each time I make this journey – especially taking the “longer route” of 33 days. St. Louis De Montfort encourages us to renew our consecration often using the short form: “I am all Yours, and all I have is Yours”. “Totus Tuus” (All Yours), the papal motto of St. JPII was taken directly from De Montfort’s “True Devotion”.

If you are reading this post and feel since it’s Day 4 you’re too late to join – you are never too late! In fact, the first Reading for Mass today encourages us from the Book of Sirach:

…Delay not your conversion to the LORD, put it not off from day to day.

Our lives on this earth are days of “ongoing conversion”. Each day is a gift from God to know, love and serve Him – and some of us have been especially blessed in hearing deeply His Words from the cross: “Behold your Mother”. Like John the Apostle who took Mary into his life and learned from her who knows Jesus better than any other human person, we are striving to “see” by faith, all God has given Mary to be the Model for the Church.

So let us begin today. Here is the simple instruction St. Louis gives for beginning the journey:

1. Preparation and Consecration

[quote]227. Those who desire to take up this special devotion… should spend at least twelve days in emptying themselves of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus…

[/quote]

You can read what I’ve already written in threads for the first three days, and see that this “emptying of ourselves of the spirit of the world which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus” requires our asking God for grace to see ourselves as He sees us. He knows our hearts and what needs to be emptied, and we need to listen for His inspirations from the Holy Spirit, sent to bring us into all Truth. We need, by His Grace, to take a first step and say as Mary did “Yes”. I choose God and want to be rid of the “spirit of the world” opposing Jesus.

Perhaps, like others, you’ll let me know we have more companions on this journey. Also, hopefully, you’ll share with us any questions or comments. I’m mindful of Psalm 133, in which God says:

How good and how pleasant it is, when brothers dwell together as one!

Of course God includes us sisters too! May we remain together in Jesus and Mary today. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Thanks dear sister, MariaChrist, that is very helpful. Yes, this devotion is not for those who have their ducks in a row (whatever that means). It is for the little and weak ones, the latecomers, latebloomers, the broken–the ones who need their Mother to take care of them and make them agents of mercy in Christ.

I have a question. In True Devotion to Mary, number 155, St. Louis says that those who are consecrated won’t fall.
ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM

Given that–as St. Louis is very clear about–we are very broken, weak, and sinful people, what does this mean to say that with Mary’s help we will continually advance giant strides toward Jesus “without falling”.

I know there is a beautiful mystery here, but I can’t see it now.

Yesterday I was struggling… struggling to understand what is means to cast away the spirit of the world.

Today it seems much simpler–perhaps due in part to MariaChrist’s help with seeing the simplicity of St. Louis’s program.

Anyway: I think we’re simply supposed to be praying to Mary and Jesus about anything that is keeping us from being completely devoted to Jesus through Mary.

To answer your question, dear brother, let’s look at St. Louis’ words:

This devotion is a short way to discover Jesus, either because it is a road we do not wander from, or because, as we have just said, we walk along this road with greater ease and joy, and consequently with greater speed. We advance more in a brief period of submission to Mary and dependence on her than in whole years of self-will and self- reliance. A man who is obedient and submissive to Mary will sing of glorious victories over his enemies It is true, his enemies will try to impede his progress, force him to retreat or try to make him fall. But with Mary’s help, support and guidance, he will go forward towards our Lord. Without falling, retreating and even without being delayed, he will advance with giant strides towards Jesus along the same road which, as it is written, Jesus took to come to us with giant strides and in a short time.

St. Louis wrote these words toward the end of his treatise, on True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin and he had lived it, I’m sure, for a few years at least, before he wrote about it. He knew by his own experience and by the testimony of Scripture and the Saints who practiced this devotion that God is Faithful and does not abandon those who trust in Him, believing in His Word. Jesus told us: “Behold your Mother” because He knew she was the Model for His Church. Jesus submitted Himself to Mary as a Child, so we are following Him in depending on Mary to help us by her prayers.

We may not become as great a saint as St. Louis de Montfort is, or in as short a time, but I believe we can hope – one day at a time – God will enable us to persevere and continue growing and NOT falling back if we remain in Him as Mary did on this earth. I think that St. Louis is referring to “falling into mortal sins”. We may fall into imperfections and even a venial sin but we will repent and rise quickly with Mary;s help if we remain faithful in love for her and Jesus. Each person is a mystery it is true, and that is not surpising since we are made in God’s Image Who is a Mystery beyond human comprehension. God wants us to keep discovering more and more of the Mystery of His Love, however, even if we never can exhaust it, The more we work with Him to emtpy ourselves, the more He can fill us with His Love. Hope that helps a bit.

Dear brother Pat,

Yes, let us do as Jesus told us and “become as little children” – who are simple and tend not to “complicate” things the way we adults often do.

Let us peacefully ask for grace, believing as a child, our Father will give us what we need. Let us seek, to “see” by faith what we need to empty. We may not have recognized something of the world that is in us, before we asked God to show it to us. Once we find it then we can ask His grace again with thankfulness trusting Him to help us get rid of whatever it is.

Let us keep knocking on the door of His Heart, (little children rarely “give up”). God wants to open the door for us! God wants to give Himself and fill us with His Love!

Yes, dear sister, that helps. Yes, and I think that when we fall, Mary–through Christ’s Infinite Compassion-- fills us with even more graces.

I’m overflowing with weaknesses and imperfections. But I know that Mary is the Mother of God, and that she loves each of us more than we can imagine. And I know I need her constantly to unite me to Jesus.

Yes, I am often–or maybe always–tempted to complicate things. But Mary helps me with this. A little child as you say, rarely gives up. I think that’s because little children have their mothers and fathers (which symbolize Mary and Jesus).

Thanks for your reply, dear Brother Pat. A holy priest once told my husband and me that there is nothing more beautiful to him than to see a “grey-haired child” in Church. At the time, many of us on retreat did not even have grey hairs, but Father Bill did, and most of us understood what he meant. Some of us learn more slowly and over many years the absolute Truth of Jesus’ Word to His disciples:

At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.
(Mt 18:1-5)

That is beautiful. I think it is so beautifu to read manly men like St. Louis and St. Alphonsus and St. Maximilian Kolbe–men who suffered so much–proclaim how much they need their Mother, Mary, and Jesus Christ…

In our culture we overemphasize our own powers, individualism, self-reliance. We don’t tend to respect dependence. But children are very dependent.

Those who have hit rock bottom or are very weak learn how much they need help. I would simply go crazy without Mary’s help in Christ.

Yes, Jesus said that the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to infants and children. I remember how St. Therese was touched by the Scripture “He who is a little one, let him come to me”. St. Alphonsus Liguori quotes the same Scripture, and adds: “Little children always have on their lips their mother’s name”.

Thanks for your help with simplicity.

Dear Brother Pat,

What have we that we have not received? If there is anything helpful in what I read, you surely know from whom I received it. :slight_smile: Let us thank the Good God and our Mother together,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.