Feb. 23 - Day 4

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

As we continue these 33 Days of Preparation, beginning with the preliminary period of 12 days in which we strive to "empty ourselves of the spirit of the world which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus", I was blessed by the Mass readings for today. The purpose of this preparation is a direct response to God's Word in the First Reading: "You shall be holy; for I the LORD your God am holy. " and also to the Gospel, in which Jesus tells us "You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Our holiness is a participation in the Holiness of God Who is Love. Our perfection is in union with God in the perfection of charity. Our task during these first 12 days is in striving to "empty ourselves" by God's Grace of the spirit of the world which is opposed to the Spirit of Jesus. The Spirit of Jesus is Love and so we are striving to empty ourselves of whatever is opposed to love.

None of us can do this, and certainly not in 12 days, but by God's Grace we begin each day to cooperate more with each grace He gives us. In Chapter 1 of De Montfort's "True Devotion":
  1. God the Son wishes to form himself, and, in a manner of speaking, become incarnate every day in his members through his dear Mother. …As their loving mother, you will give them birth, feed them and rear them. As their queen, you will lead, govern and defend them.
It is God who forms us and all graces come to us through Mary. How grateful we need to be and how earnestly we need to ask, seek and knock on the door of His Heart for grace to continue to empty ourselves of all that is opposed to His Love!

Jesus, I trust in You.
Mary, my Queen and my Mother I am all yours. Keep me; guard me as your property and possession.

ALL graces come through Mary?

This is not a doctrine of the Church, but it is a pious belief.

Dear HoneyBea and JamesTheJust,

Thank you HoneyBea for your question, and JamestheJust for your comment. I want to respond to both of you here, but if you wish to discuss this further it might be best to begin another thread on Mary’s role in the dispensation of Grace. This thread is intended for those who are following St. Louis de Montfort’s treatise on True Devotion, see HERE

An excerpt from Catholic Culture:

This doctrine that Mary is the Mediatrix of all graces is very old. It is implicitly contained in the New Eve concept, for the first Eve, according to God’s original plan, was to have been, with Adam, the means of the transmission of sanctifying grace to all their descendants. But fairly clear, explicit statements of this doctrine appear much earlier than they did on the matter of Mary’s role in the sacrifice of Calvary. Thus, for example, in a prayer which is almost certainly by St. Ephraem, the fourth-century Syrian Doctor of the Church, we note that Mary is called "dispensatrix of all goods."3 Or again, Theodotus of Ancyra, one of the most prominent of the Fathers at the Council of Ephesus (A.D. 431), called Mary "dispensatrix of good things."4 Basil of Seleucia (+ c. A.D. 458) addressed Mary as the "Mediatrix of God and men."5 It would be easy to add other quotations from the patristic period. For the full article see HERE

“Mary, Mediatrix of All Graces” by Father William G. Most: see HERE

Other references:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains in paragraphs 967, 968, 969 and 970 how Mary is our Mother in the order of grace.

Paragraphs 61. 62 and 63 In the Constitution “Lumen Gentium” likewise give us teaching on the unique role of Mary, as Mediatrix.

Hope these references clarify the Church’s teaching on Mary’s unique role as Mother in the order of Grace. :slight_smile:

Praying

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.