Fed up with Ex-Catholics who has serious with the Church

I am not going to name names. Many of the new members here who were Catholics but left has a zeal that is pure anger and hatred.

and he insist in “never coming back to the Catholic Church.” I don’t know what the big deal is. Is not a Christianity suppose to have charity?

This only proves my point from comparing Ex-Protestants who are now Catholic embrace their old faith tradition, while Ex-Catholic turn Protestant attack the Church.

They claim they are filled with the Holy Spirit but they are not.

For Jesus said in Matthew 5:22.

21 You have heard that it was said to them of old: Thou shalt not kill. And whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment. 22 But I say to you, that whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in danger of the judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council. And whosoever shall say, Thou Fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 If therefore thou offer thy gift at the altar, and there thou remember that thy brother hath any thing against thee; 24 Leave there thy offering before the altar, and go first to be reconciled to thy brother: and then coming thou shalt offer thy gift. 25 Be at agreement with thy adversary betimes, whilst thou art in the way with him: lest perhaps the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

So I tell you my Christians brothers and sisters. Don’t attack the Church because if you do, you are no better than Satan himself and you are not worthy to call yourself a Christian.

Note I said fed up or frustrated but not anger.

Agreed! I’d NEVER want to be a Mennonite again, but I having nothing but love for my Brethren and Sisters! That’s how it should be, we’re all God’s children!

Anna x

Amen,
Most ex-Catholics I talk to feel like they have been freed from the Bondage of Catholocism. And they are always trying to help me become liberated! I just want all of them to know I pray the Rosary for them!:slight_smile:

Lighten up, Manny.

I agree with Manny. There seems to be alot of hate, but it is mild on this board compared to other BBS.

Robo mentioned “liberated”, but I am wonder if it is, in many cases, more of a sense of failure on their part that they had to find a “easier” path.

While the defensiveness and anger is there I suspect that my former colleagues in the UMC see most of my efforts at witnessing to them as attacks and acts of hatred as well. I know that over time with consistency and patience witness can be effective with some but the initial reaction is stunned disgust.

CDL

Manny I understand you are upset and frustrated but you are only going to fuel the fire and stir up anger with this thread.:frowning:

Proverbs 10: 11-32
**The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, But the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.
Pro 10:12 Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.
Pro 10:13 On the lips of the discerning, wisdom is found, But a rod is for the back of him who lacks understanding. **
**Pro 10:14 Wise men store up knowledge, But with the mouth of the foolish, ruin is at hand. **
Pro 10:15 The rich man’s wealth is his fortress, The ruin of the poor is their poverty.
Pro 10:16 The wages of the righteous is life, The income of the wicked, punishment.
Pro 10:17 He is {on} the path of life who heeds instruction, But he who ignores reproof goes astray.
**Pro 10:18 He who conceals hatred {has} lying lips, And he who spreads slander is a fool.
Pro 10:19 When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise. **
**Pro 10:20 The tongue of the righteous is {as} choice silver, The heart of the wicked is {worth} little.
Pro 10:21 The lips of the righteous feed many, But fools die for lack of understanding. **
Pro 10:22 It is the blessing of the LORD that makes rich, And He adds no sorrow to it.
Pro 10:23 Doing wickedness is like sport to a fool, And {so is} wisdom to a man of understanding.
Pro 10:24 What the wicked fears will come upon him, But the desire of the righteous will be granted.
Pro 10:25 When the whirlwind passes, the wicked is no more, But the righteous {has} an everlasting foundation.
Pro 10:26 Like vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, So is the lazy one to those who send him.
Pro 10:27 The fear of the LORD prolongs life, But the years of the wicked will be shortened.
Pro 10:28 The hope of the righteous is gladness, But the expectation of the wicked perishes.
Pro 10:29 The way of the LORD is a stronghold to the upright, But ruin to the workers of iniquity.
Pro 10:30 The righteous will never be shaken, But the wicked will not dwell in the land.
Pro 10:31 The mouth of the righteous flows with wisdom, But the perverted tongue will be cut out.
Pro 10:32 The lips of the righteous bring forth what is acceptable, But the mouth of the wicked what is perverted.

Manny I think(based on recent posts) you are going through something right now and no doubt God will bring you through it, but PLEASE take to heart the above scripture about speech.:smiley:

When I read these scriptures it really REALLY makes me think twice before speaking.(which I have gotten better at over my many years.:wink:

I came from a protestant church that has alot of “ex-Catholics”, when I decided to go into full communion with the Catholic Church, some of the “ex-catholics” were bewildered about my choice. But as time as gone by, they seek me out to talk about it. I have found their reasons for joining my old church was for the fellowship and sense of community they thought they didn’t get in the Catholic Church.(the church I came from is a really awesome church, with many ministries within and reaching out to the whole city), Many were never properly catechised as children and don’t seem to have the proper understanding of the church teachings and the sacraments. Most don’t have a hatred nor are angry with the Church, but a lack of understanding. My :twocents:

I see a failure within the Catholic Church to build community many times, but I see it as a failure that differs from parish to parish. I saw this same failure in non-Catholic churchs I had been involved in also.

I get frustrated sometimes as a Catholic the same as I did before being a non-Catholic and that is most people don’t take their faith with them beyond Sunday Morning and I think sometimes we don’t understand, I know I forget, that it is God is in control of the whole Church, those of us that have the fullness of the faith in the Catholic Church and those that don’t.

May I suggest that all of us, Catholics, Non-Catholics and “Ex-Catholics” read this Statement “The Call to Holiness” . It may give us a common ground to debate from with the love Christ that we all claim to have.

:gopray2:

I just wanted to say in general. It is very hard for all of us to deal with our differences. However, it is not difficult if we put love first before our own intentions.

It is easier said than done, isn’t it?

Yesterday, on my way home from work, I listened to Father Larry on Relevantradio.com - one thing he said that I need to keep thinking about it for the rest of my life. He asks,

“Can you see everyone else superior to you?”

God bless!

“Can you see everyone else superior to you?”

That is a good one:thumbsup: :eek: :frowning: :o

Not all of your former colleagues, my friend. You’re a good and faithful man, CDL.

My “lighten up” was in response to Manny’s “fed up.” Don’t ever let anyone get your goat, Manny. Know who you are, and whose you are. No one can take it from you.

O+

most of the ex catholics i come across of, are the ones who act as they have some degree in Catholocism, when really they may have been catholic growing up but they really don’t know a thing about the catholic church besides going to church on sundays. i hear things like " well I spent 12 years in catholic church so I know as much as any catholic" and yet they don’t even know Peter is considered the first pope. they can’t even make the distingtion between worshiping GOD and asking Mary for intercession, they even go as far as to insulting Jesus’s own mother calling Jesus’s mother a the great whore. also that Mary did not have an important role in the bible. gosh theres soo much.

I remember my Father told me a story about my Mum at her work, her co worker who is a catholic was thinking about leaving Catholocism to join some little social club church" my mother told him " learn your relgion before you decide to forsake it". after while the man became a deacon for the catholic church.

I thank you, kind sir.

CDL

when really they may have been catholic growing up but they really don’t know a thing about the catholic church besides going to church on sundays

Why is that?

I’m a recent convert and I love being Catholic. I did not know a great deal of Catholics growing up because I came from a part of the country where Catholics are very rare. Yet, in my youth I came across a few.

Unfortunately those few did nothing to dispel the myths my very anti-Catholic mom had taught me. For example, one of my Uncle’s girlfriends was Catholic and I remember asking her about Purgatory and she said, “we don’t believe in that anymore.” I heard a similar response from another Catholic about transubstantiation, only in the form of a question, “we don’t still believe that, do we?”

Of course in later years I learned a great deal on my own and from more devout and learned Catholics. Also, I live in areas where Catholics are much more common (though still a significant minority).

The earlier examples would have been in the 80’s, if that makes a difference.

I have come across anti-Catholicism from ex-Catholics. In most cases they left the Church because they wanted to do something the Church said they were not allowed to do, eg remarry after a divorce, marry a divorced person, have an abortion etc…

After finding a denomination that supported their decision, they then condemned the CC for all sorts of things in an effort to justify their decision.

That has been my experience anyway.

Although I haven’t converted…yet…I have never felt freer in my entire life!

There has always been some form of confusion & uncertainty as a non-Catholic. I thank God for my protestant upbringing and all the wonderful holy people that helped me further my walk with the Lord but still there were too many different “truths” out there. Who was right?

Bondage of Catholocism? Absolutlely not!

I hope & pray that our ex-Catholic brothers & sisters return to the Church that is* truly *liberating–the Catholic Church:signofcross:

That has also been my experience. Remarriage seems to be the biggie. Whether for themselves or their spouse.

Agreed - the mega-church near my home is filled with former Catholics, and all of the ones I know had a “marriage issue” with the Church. They left to attend a place where no one will question them. I also have an acquaintance who calls herself a “recovering Catholic.” As a previous poster noted, this woman also is woefully uninformed about the faith. She can’t explain anything about the Church and its teachings but thinks that because she worked at a Catholic school for a couple of years she is a theologian. It’s really too bad for her.

I am upset I cannot lighten up my friend. Of course you are not the one who I have issues with because your posts here are more charitable than other Non-Catholic Christians.

I dislike when someone attacks the Church. The Bride of Christ. We Catholics don’t go around condemning Protestant Churches or go to their pew and tell them to convert. Compared with Some Non-Catholics who go to the Catholic Church and hand out Anti-Catholic materials…

These attacks need to stop… and second any Ex-Catholic should embrace their former faith. For without the Church, they would not have known God.

I fear that’s not entirely true, my friend. There are Catholics who condemn Protestant Churches, and there are priests who have done and said some really ugly things to Protestant clergy.

There is blame on both sides. Neither can be defended or tolerated in a Christian context. But some manage anyhow.

O+

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.