Federal grant thwarts GOP-led effort to close North Carolina Planned Parenthood clinic

From McClatchy Newspapers:
One of the battles won by the conservatives who took over the North Carolina Legislature this session was stripping Planned Parenthood of its funding.

But it is turning out to be a short-lived victory. The women’s health organization has successfully applied for federal funds and will soon receive more than three times the amount Republican lawmakers had withheld.

“We’ve weathered these increasing attacks on women’s health care access the past couple of years,” Paige Johnson, vice president of external and governmental affairs for Planned Parenthood of Central North Carolina, said Tuesday. “Now we’re able to do more for our patients.”

The GOP strategy to defund Planned Parenthood would be considered more symbolic - by law, federal money can’t be used for abortions - than substantial if it wasn’t for its direct impact on the women’s health clinic in Durham.
That last paragraph is complete bunk.

Money is fungible. The only way that it isn’t fungible is if there are completely separate accounting systems (covering both revenue and cost) for non abortion work and abortion work.

I have never heard an assertion, even by the most rapid PP sycophant, that this was the case.

I’m sorry, but not shutting down the clinic is completely ridiculous. A women DIED there. SHE DIED! Does this not compute with their mind, or they trying to rationalize her death at the hands of murderers? We need to stop lying to ourselves society, murder is murder no matter how many humans embrace abortion. This process should be killed off quickly before the situation grows.

We do not close down clinics because people die when things go wrong. The woman signed a waiver, she knew the risks. Yes, sometimes women die from bleeding or infection during an abortion. It’s rare, but it happens. All medical procedures carry risks.

Besides, a woman is more likely to die from childbirth than from an abortion, but we aren’t closing down hospitals and maternity wards.

Bolding Mine:

Non sequitur. One, child birth, is a natural process and a function of the species, the other, Abortion, is unholy, a societal disgrace, unatural and 100% avoidable.

There is no, I reiteratete, **no **moral comparison.:cool:

You say “… The woman signed a waiver, she knew the risks”
Indeed. I presume you are saying that Planned Parenthood advised their client of the risks… I wonder…is it your assertion as well that Planned Parenthood informed her of all the alternatives to Abortion? Ahmmmmmm? Methinks Abby Johnson would disagree with you methinks.

See here: womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=10833

Except in an abortion a person always dies (kinda the point of abortion). Number of lives lost during abortions is over 50%; in childbirth less that .7%. Guess the children don’t get counted in you view.

Women rarely die in childbirth. This is the 21st century, not the 1700s.

Abortion is not like any other medical procedure. It always has a death in the unborn child and many Americans do not like taxpayer funding going to abortion. Poll by the Polling Company for Americans United For Life found 71% of Americans oppose using tax dollars to pay for abortions here in the United States.

CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Wednesday says 61% of the public opposes using public money for abortions for women who can not afford it, 37% in favor of allowing use of federal funds

Your last comment is not correct. Abortion is underreported, 27 states require abortion reporting, but 3 of the 4 most populous states such as California have no abortion reporting requirement

Doctors may also declare an abortion related death as pregnancy related in some places, not sure specifically where, which increase the number of women statistics die from childbirth

I have also read that it is it is not rare for statistics to include studies from countries where there is limited access to good birth facilities and antenatal care

Study from Finland discovered within 1 year the risk of dying from abortion is several times higher than from childbirth or miscarriage

American Journal of Orthopsychiatry in 2002 published a study that looked at 173000 abortions for California women and death records linked to births by Medi-Cal payments. Found that women were almost twice as likely to die in the following 2 years. 63% more likely to receive mental care in the 90 days following an abortion than giving birth. Study found an increased level or mortality for at least 8 years. Over 8 years studied, women who aborted had a 44% higher risk of death from natural causes, 154% higher risk of death from suicide, and 82% higher risk of death from accidents

The NC legislature should have realized that Obama will support abortion, no matter what he has to do to accomplish it. Likely, it is no great surprise to them that he did this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.