Federal judge rules drivers allowed to flash headlights to warn of speed traps

foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/05/federal-judge-rules-drivers-allowed-to-warn-other-motorists-speed-traps/

This is a bad decision. It reminds me of how some people here in Toronto a few years ago who posted on Twitter where police were conducting roadside blood alcohol tests.

Speeding excessively is a public health risk. That is indisputable. What the speed limit should be is another question but to alert others who could be breaking the law is wrong.

If a police officer went into an internet chat room (I think they still exist) posing as a minor to find out who the perverts are and somebody else says that so and so is a cop I would hope that we can all agree that would be wrong.

I think it’s a great ruling. For one, cops should not be allowed to fine / arrest you for communicating with another driver. And two, it actually helps keep roads safer by allowing more people to communicate with each other to slow speed and reduce the chance of accidents.

The cops are probably just angry that a way to fill their daily quotas is now in jeopardy.

Speed limits are revenue generators; nothing more.

I love warning drivers about speed traps.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Aiding criminals (speeding is a crime) could land you in jail. If someone’s reckless driving results in a person’s death you could be sued and then watch you lose your savings.

Clearly speed plays a role in both the causes of accidents as well as the severity of accidents.

But I’m more anti-tailgating and anti-weaving than I am anti-speeding. I see that reckless behavior every day and I really hope more can be done in the future about it.

I am surprised to see this once again in court. I remember that there was a person who had a sign warning of a speed trap and that too went to court with the same results. Freedom of speech is important and cannot be infringed upon. Content of speech is not up to the police to decide what can or cannot be said. The only reason for the police to be upset is the lost of revenue. The reason should be to stop people from speeding. Flashing lights will cause drivers to slow down which should be the desired results. In some cities I have been in they have dummy police cars that is they have unoccupied police cars stationed at places to slow people down.
The ruling is what it should have been and consistent with pass rulings.

Exactly.

DGB

Warning about speed traps and warning about alcohol checkstops are two different beasts and the police (at least here in Calgary) have different attitudes towards the two.

The Calgary Police Service actually encourages the spreading of word about speed traps, and in fact, our 24-hour news radio station makes this public every ten minutes. This is because this causes people to slow down in the area, which is exactly what they want.

Alcohol checkstops are another story, and the police actually beg people to not tweet or spread their locations. This is because if there is a drunk behind the wheel, he has to get caught, for his own safety and the safety of others on the road.

blog.motorists.org/traffic-tickets-are-big-business/

Traffic tickets are a multi-billion industry. They have virtually nothing to do with highway safety, but they have everything to do with money.

When you begin to grasp the full magnitude of the public and private interests that depend on ripping off motorists through traffic tickets, you begin to understand why this unethical system continues to expand every year.

The police enforce laws that result in direct benefits to police agencies and personnel. Judges hear cases in which a “guilty” verdict would have tangible financially rewards for the court and courthouse personnel. No other class of “crime” is as profitable for state and local governments as is that of traffic tickets. Traffic courts cannot be fair and unbiased when their financial welfare depends on traffic fines.

Additionally, local government encourage traffic enforcement practices that rip off travelers to support local government services and to reward government employees. Yet these hypocrisies go largely unnoticed.

It’s a crime to not wish being fleeced of your hard earned money?

I dare a cop to arrest me for warning other drivers of their racket; I’ll pocket a nice fat settlement for having my 1A rights infringed in a real court; not a kangaroo traffic court.

What are we REALLY trying to do?

Are we trying to prevent speeding?
OR **
Are we trying to give as many people as we can speding tickets?**

If the headlights are flashed, and drivers slow down, HOW IS THAT BAD???

I think I read somewhere that PREVENTING crime was preferable to REASPONDING TO A CRIME AFTER THE FACT.

It’s one thing if pointing out a police officer’s presence puts lives in danger (like blowing an undercover operation). That’s NOT the case here; spreading the word keeps people safer! Letting people know about speed traps makes sure they slow down, just like advertising sobriety checkpoints hopefully keeps people sober on the road. That’s what we all want, right? Besides, I know a police officer who flashes his own lights when he’s not on duty. :slight_smile:

If drivers are attentive enough to flash others, and the others are attentive enough to heed the warnings, they are not the problem.

The problem is people texting and phoning at the wheel!

ICXC NIKA

Dangerous habit in my opinion; it causes you to lose concentration while driving and could cause an accident.

49 states allow radar detectors with support from most police stations. Why? Because it reduces speeding, the goal of every department. What, if anything, is different between this and a radar detector? The only thing is that revenue is lost at much greater rates.

Good for the judge :thumbsup:

If a flash or two from headlights in the opposite lane is enough to cause someone to crash, that person shouldn’t be driving in the first place.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

If I can walk and chew gum at the same time, I can reasonably expect the mental faculties to operate a headlight switch for one second while driving are there as well.

Yes!

Da!

Si!

That’s a big 10-14, good buddy!

:thumbsup:

100% agreed! I have always done this, surprised there was even a law about it.

How can anyone say speed traps are anything but revenue generators? Geez, they have quotas to fill each month LOL

This is another case when law enforcement literally DEPENDS on people to break laws for revenue! Im pretty sure they depend on alot of other crimes too, in order to rake in more fine money.

Something really needs to be done about how law enforcement operates, if any agency needs a major overhaul it is definitely this one!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.