Federal Judge Rules That Worshipping a Flying Spaghetti Monster Is Not a Real Religion

link

A federal judge in Nebraska has ruled that the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSMism) is not a real religion, delivering a setback to practicing Pastafarians around the country.

I know I shouldn’t find these things funny, but I do. It wouldn’t be funny if it were more common, which is the intent.

Legally, how does one determine the validity of a religion?

The legal definition of “religion”:

[quote=Legal Dictionary]The Supreme Court has interpreted religion to mean a sincere and meaningful belief that occupies in the life of its possessor a place parallel to the place held by God in the lives of other persons. The religion or religious concept need not include belief in the existence of God or a supreme being to be within the scope of the First Amendment.
[/quote]

This is probably the biggest crisis to hit Pastafarianism since the schism between the Orzodox and the Ramen Catholics.

Finally, a judge who’s not afraid to use his noodle!

This could lead to a Pastatent Reformation of the entire church. I mean the Ramen Catholics in particular clearly have not been expressing their belief in the proper zealous manner if the courts won’t recognize them.

Yep.

Ed

:smiley:

**Who is to say that our Creator cannot be a Flying Spaghetti Monster if He wants to.? **

**I am who I am.

I will be who I will be.**

What is I self identify as a flying Spaghetti monster. Can sue to make people worship me?

Flying Spaghetti Monster is just an impasta anyway.

I think you have to: worship a deity (check), have scripture (don’t think so) and a liturgy (Sunday afternoon spaghetti and meatball dinner at Mama Lina’s might count, but that is open to discussion).

They won’t take this lasangning down!

Actually the body of law, including rulings by the Supreme Court, doesn’t even require belief in a deity or a scripture of some kind to be classified as a religion. Rather the adherents only need to have a legitimate belief.

I think that’s where the spaghetti monster lost out. No one believes it’s adherents actually believe in it. Rather it’s satire.

How about people who are agnocchist about it?

I borrowed this word from another poster.

It took a federal judge to un-ravioli this?

I believe the legal litmus test is whether or not the endorser of said religion has either the maturity level of a toddler or an IQ somewhere between Elmo and a 5 lb. bag of peat moss.

Time for a Pennoniant Reformation in response to the leadership of the Pastafarian Church failing its people. 95 Tortellini on the Power and Efficacy of Italiana describing our issues with the Pastafarian Church must be organized and nailed to the door of Ristorante IL Castello, in Wittenberg, Germany.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You are all so funny! :thumbsup:

Actually, in the reference section of most libraries in the US is a rather thick book that lists and briefly describes, each religion recognized in the US. I’m guessing it’s not in there…

Ed :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.