Federal prosecutor tackles heroin scourge that claimed son

A top federal prosecutor speaks out for the first time about the death of his son from a heroin overdose. apne.ws/2j03kNH

This man seems to be part of the problem. He seems to want to blame and imprison the providers of drugs and not the users. There would be no drug providers if there weren’t drug users.

What is most disturbing is the prosecution of doctors who ‘overproscribe’ pain pills. While this may happen there are also many people in tremendous pain. They may not receive the help they need because doctors fear prosecution. Is it really the competency of the federal courts to determine this?

A zealous prosecutor going after those he perceives as being responsible for his sons death is a terrible thing.

That’s actually kind of a vicious cycle. One could say that drug dealers provide a service to meet a demand.

People like this prosecutor scare me. Reading the article, I kept thinking to myself - how clueless is this guy? A prosecutor with an axe to grind, in charge of a district the size of half the state, who seems to have been living in a cave…or probably an ivory tower. And now he’s out to ‘get people’; this reads like a bad movie script from the 1980’s.

From the article:

"In September, the Justice Department ordered all 93 U.S. attorneys across the country to come up with a strategy for combating overdose deaths from heroin and painkillers. Brandler released his plan, covering 3.2 million people in central and northeastern Pennsylvania, last month. Like others, it focuses on prevention, enforcement and treatment.

He said his office will prioritize opioid cases resulting in death, and aggressively prosecute doctors who overprescribe pain pills.

Additionally, prosecutors will hit the road — bringing physicians, recovering addicts, family members of overdose victims and others with them — to talk to schools and hard-hit communities.

Parents need to know that “if you think it can’t happen to you, it can,” Brandler said. “If it happened to me as a federal prosecutor, I think it can happen to anyone, and that’s really the message I want to get out.”

I think he’s on the right path.

There is still the stereotype that hard drugs are found only along the underside of the society; but the physiology of addiction works the same for everybody.

And death does at times occur after someone has “gone to rehab” and detoxed, because should they have a relapse, the body tolerance for the drug is no longer there.

Folks need to know those things.

God’s mercy on all involved.

ICXC NIKA

Certainly dealers do meet demand. But if there was no demand there would be no dealers. How many buggy whip makers are there these days?

I think getting rid of dealers to solve the drug problem is like playing whack a mole. I think if the state wants to curb drug use it is better off trying to stop the demand. Since the states only real tool is incarceration this means jailing users. As you see with this prosecutor most folks want to blame the dealer and not the user. This prosecutor was all for jailing everyone but his drug using son.

I don’t think the state should be involved in the problem at all but going after dealers is a never ending huge waste of resources.

I.e. is it correct, that you want the stuff to be legal, and everybody therefore using it?

If that were the case, for every death such as this fellow’s son that we are seeing now, there would then be twenty.

For some reason, young people love to do foolish things (like taking drugs). In the words of Saint Paul, the law is a teacher. Let’s not give up on trying to teach them!

ICXC NIKA

One can hardly blame this man, considering what heroin has done to his family. It’s very sad… There’s a guy in the building next to me I talk to once in awhile. He served four combat tours in Afghanistan, and he more or less always talks about it. He seems like an extremely sweet guy, actually, but it’s disconcerting because he’ll bring up super gory stuff. He told me point blank that Special Forces have a hands off policy with regard to opium fields and opium farmers. And I 100% believe him. You’d have to know him I guess, but he’s smart and he’s honest. So, the point is, what else is this prosecutor supposed to do? If the U.S. military has decided that opium production needs to spike sharply upwards for whatever reason, he certainly can’t do anything about it! Any more than he can target Mexican cartels directly in Mexico. All he can do is exactly what he’s doing, and I’m sure he’s not foolish enough to have any illusions about it. He actually probably understands the stupidity and futility of this better than anyone. The War on Drugs is a bad joke, a complete lie and a complete scam:

bbc.com/news/world-asia-37743433

It is correct I believe in decriminalization. It is not correct that I therefore want everyone using drugs. I don’t know on what basis you claim drug deaths would increase twenty fold if drugs were decriminalized. I don’t not take drugs only because they are illegal. I’m sure I’m not alone. I don’t think the current law stops people from taking drugs since the law targets dealers more than users.

The law is a teacher. The drug law has taught me that the state will do anything to increase its power. It has taught me that the police have no hesitancy to grab more power at the expense of personal liberties. It ha taught me that the police are just the revenue arm of the state.

If you really want to teach people using drugs is bad, and therefore dry up demand, then you need to have what are perceived as draconian laws that target anyone who uses or possesses even the smallest amount of a drug.

No, the US military does not destroy poppy fields, and are not to do so. The Afghan gov., in association with the DOS, handles the initiation of those types of operations which are carried out by Afghan forces; sometimes the US military will provide security for those operations.

There are complexities involved in managing … yes, managing … the Afghan poppy farmers who are not under Taliban control. Besides that, 85% of Afghan opium is manufactured in Taliban controlled areas.

Here are some helpful links:
state.gov/j/inl/rls/nrcrpt/2016/vol1/253235.htm

state.gov/j/inl/rls/rm/2014/221295.htm

sigar.mil/pdf/lessonslearned/SIGAR-16-58-LL.pdf

usip.org/sites/default/files/resources/taliban_opium_1.pdf

Exactly. He should quit his job and go to work for some drug education organisation or the like.
Btw, if his son’s friends had called for medical assistance they would almost certainly been busted themselves.

AMAZING! I always suspected collusion, but guarding the poppy fields ensuring the stuff makes it to the streets? wow

As Ive said before, for there to be a ‘war on drugs’ there must be a constant supply of drugs coming in, if that suddenly stopped, it would be a disaster for lots of people, drugs and drug related crime keep many law enforcement agencies operating.

Its shocking to me more people do not recognize this.

The state is a protection racket, like the mafia. The basic promise is we’ll protect you from these other bad guys. And if you don’t pay up we’ll do to you what they would have done to you. The other thing it does is cause problems so it can fix them. To I think a sizable percent of the people each government failure is somehow viewed as a reason to get the state more involved. This is the recent history of education and health care in our country. What would politicians run on if things weren’t constantly messed up? If a politician ever really solves a problem then you would no longer need him. The drug war like the war on poverty have been the greatest boon for government ever.

I don’t think you understood what I said is going on over there in Afghanistan. Did you read any of the links?

Growing poppies is illegal in Afghanistan. But the law is difficult to enforce. Also, if a farmer has a crop of poppies with no income besides that crop, it’s not necessarily a good idea to destroy the crops if the farmer has never had a previous warning not to grow the poppies. The situations in Afghanistan are complex because there are limited means of income, limited infrastructure, limited security, scars of wars and a need for stability in government. That is why US soldiers are told not to go around arbitrarily destroying poppy fields. The Afghan government, with help from the Department of State, decides when and where poppy fields are destroyed. Then, Afghan forces are sent to destroy the fields. Sometimes the US military provides security for the Afghan forces while the Afghan forces destroy the fields.

There isn’t any part of the US government that is ensuring a steady supply of drugs makes it to the streets … the criminal element does a fine job on it’s own. There is no conspiracy, it’s really pretty simple. It goes without saying that individuals that operate in these environments can try to take advantage of the situation in Afghanistan for their own personal gain, but those instances should not lead one to think that the whole system is corrupt and conspiracy theories should be considered - no.

I was mostly referring to heroin coming from Mexico, There is DEFINITELY a conspiracy there.

The single fact that the cartels are **consistently **able to get enough of their product thru the borders, (enough to keep majority of the US fully supplied) and in a post 9-11 world…Cmon, there is some degree of collusion.

This is a very deep rabbit hole, but if you look at who is benefiting from this epidemic, its not hard to ‘read between the lines’…number one would be the cartels, they are bringing in dump truck loads of cash every single day, number 2 would be US law enforcement, drug crime and drug related crime make up roughly about 80% of total crime in my area, of course this includes cash, property seizures, LOTS of work for LOTS of law enforcement people, LOTS of jail cells being occupied, etc etc, I could keep going.

I know heroin is a huge problem, but I cannot understand why anyone would try it even once. When I was almost seven years old my mother explained to me that the doctor gives you medicine when you are sick, but if you take medicine when you are not sick, the medicine can make you sick. I never tried any drug or tobacco product and never drank alcohol until I was past 21. After a short time I decided I really did not like drinking, so I quit.

Were my mother and the almost 7 year old me really that much smarter than our messed us culture of death? :shrug: I can’t think of any simple solution to help people who want to risk death and disease as a cure for boredom.

Heroin is definitely a scourge but tackling it needs to be done in a certain way. I personally think that criminalizing and jailing addicts is the wrong way to go about it. Instead, the dealers should be the ones who are prosecuted and the addicts should be made to get help for their addiction. Addiction is a disease and it is stupid to criminalize a disease even if the disease was brought on by one’s own actions.

That’s called a self licking ice cream cone. It’s not necessarily a conspiracy.

This principal is known in government organizations and the business world as well. It’s much worse in government though because it’s much harder to correct. People have no interest in saying, “Okay, our job is done here. Let’s dissolve this cash cow and work on our resume because we’re all going to have to find new jobs now.”

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.