Feds Punish Business For Engaging In ‘Citizenship-Discrimination’

news.yahoo.com/feds-punish-business-engaging-citizenship-discrimination-155039606.html

< A Texas catering business will pay the United States $26,400 for engaging in “citizenship-discrimination,” as part of a settlement with the Justice Department announced Tuesday.

Culinaire International unlawfully discriminated against employees based on their citizenship status, the Justice Department claimed, because it required non-citizen employees to provide extra proof of their right to work in the United States.

Culinaire has agreed to pay the United States $20,460 in civil penalties, receive training in anti-discrimination rules of the Immigration and Nationality Act, revise its work eligibility verification process, and create a $40,000 back pay fund for “potential economic victims.” >

“A lawful permanent resident’s card expires, but their right to work is permanent, and in this case Culinaire was requiring employees to present a renewed permanent resident card to be verified as work-eligible.”

I guess I don’t understand. Why does a ‘permanent resident’ card expire, if it’s permanent?

Would the company similarly be in trouble with the Justice Department for hiring illegal immigrants?

I don’t understand this. My last two jobs, I had to prove I WAS a citizen - had to bring in my PASSPORT no less.

Most companies do this. This is nothing new.
My husband has to take in every scrap of immigration paperwork and card he’s ever received to apply for jobs, and then generally is never offered anything. Too much red tape. Apparently the companies undergo a lot of scrutiny. Seems like a small fine.
At any rate,
He’s a permanent resident. Eligible for citizenship. No criminal record. Paid all the fees (thousands of dollars worth, in cash). But not so much for a job. :shrug:

My husband’s permanent card has an expiration date.
I’m guessing there will always be fees…:shrug:

No chance! The criminals are running the asylum, Jim. Every last memeber of the Injustice Department should be wearing prison stripes. And their rogue boss too! :mad:

Well now I used to have a green card, and it did not expire. I did have to renew it at certain ages like age 14, 18 and I believe once in my 30’s. Temporary work and student visa’s do expire and require renewal and certain conditions to be renewed. I do not think a “permanent resident card” is the same as a valid “green card”. I no longer have mine as I became a Naturalized Citizen years ago…so my terminology may be off.

Still, I think it would be wrong if the company was requiring more than the renewal of a work visa. Otherwise, it would be wrong to fine them. When I was not a citizen I had to prove my right to work, and attend college. Why should that be different now? And if we are going to say everyone has a right to work why bother with immigration laws at all?

I truly believe everyone should be required to enter the country legally or not at all. But big business is what has been running this country for decades so that law is not enforced anymore. Let’s face it a good part of the globalization effort is to open up the avenue to cheap labor everywhere. As I have stated elsewhere, globalization is as old as time and always benefits a few at the expense of the masses. That is why companies get punished for doing what this business did.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::clapping::tiphat:

The company I work for required two forms of identification to prove I was a citizen years and years ago. Every year since then, when I sign back up for benefits, I need to click on a box next to a statement affirming that I am still a citizen, then click on another box stating that everything I’ve stated in my application is true. I didn’t realize I was being discriminated against.

It’s the government we are talking about here. They could mess up a wet dream.

Wow! It is amazing how much red tape one has to navigate in the world of federal regulation. If you ask for the wrong thing, or forget to ask for the right thing, you get nailed and fined.

I’m also wondering if non-citizens are a protected class under federal regulations for hiring practices, since this is referred to a citizenship discrimination.

I don’t think so. If it were, I’d have a couple strong cases…

I thought it was against the law for an employer to knowingly hire illegal immigrants ?

How can they know if they don’t check the status of the person ?

Jim

It is “permanent resident status” rather than permanent resident- meaning, they can still toss you out at any time. it’s not actually permanent. My husband’s expires I think every 7 or 10 years or so. It can be revoked if necessary. It is permanent as opposed to a visa status.
I don’t see why it would be out of the ordinary to prove that the information on the green card/perm resident card is accurate. You can be holding the card, and have had some changes in the system. In order to get a driver’s license in the state of SC, a non citizen must produce all the documentation and have it substantiated by the DMV itself. My DH gets his license made and brings in all his info, and then they don’t give him his license. They hold it while they confirm the info and mail it to us later.
So for me, I don’t see the problem in demonstrating you are legal to work. If you are a non citizen, just show who you are, and it’s all good. Anyone should be walking around with those docs anyway, so what’s the big deal?

What a lawless govt we have today. Simply indefensible.

I don’t know specifically what additional documents they were asking for but the instructions seem pretty clear as far as what they are looking for to verify the employees ability to work in the U.S…

uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/m-274.pdf

It also clearly states:

Types of Employment Discrimination Prohibited Under the INA
Document Abuse

1 Improperly requesting that employees produce more documents than are required by Form I-9 to establish the employee’s identity and employment authorization;

This has absolutely nothing to do with illegal immigration or the current administrations position on illegal immigration.

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.