Feds say they thwarted militia plot to kidnap Governor Whitmer. Other state governments targeted too

Ahh those ever peace loving militias…

The FBI says it thwarted what it described as a plot to violently overthrow the government and kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, and federal prosecutors are expected to discuss the alleged conspiracy later Thursday.

The alleged plot involved reaching out to members of a Michigan militia, according to a federal affidavit filed Thursday.

►Read the filing: FBI affidavit: Conspirators wanted to kidnap gov to remote Wisconsin location

The court filing also alleges the conspirators twice conducted surveillance at Whitmer’s vacation home and discussed kidnapping her to a remote location in Wisconsin to stand “trial” for treason prior to the Nov. 3 election.

“Several members talked about murdering ‘tyrants’ or ‘taking’ a sitting governor,” an FBI agent wrote in the affidavit. “The group decided they needed to increase their numbers and encouraged each other to talk to their neighbors and spread their message.”

The FBI was already tracking the militia in March after a local police department learned members were trying to obtain addresses of local law-enforcement officers, the FBI agent wrote.

“At the time, the FBI interviewed a member of the militia group who was concerned about the group’s plans to target and kill police officers, and that person agreed to become a (confidential source),” the agent wrote

In late June, Fox posted on Facebook a video in which he complained about the state’s judicial system and COVID-19 restrictions on gyms operating in Michigan.

“Fox referred to Governor Whitmer as ‘this tyrant b----,’ and stated, ‘I don’t know, boys, we gotta do something,” according to the court affidavit. “You guys link with me on our other location system, give me some ideas of what we can do.”

much more…

this year keeps getting worse

3 Likes

What your neighbors are saying: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/michigan-whitmer-plot-1.5755273

It is this one, isn’t it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqPCJfKULgs

The one who sent a “care package” to the TV show that made fun of her? This one? https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/gretchen-whitmer-snl-cecily-strong-michigan-beer-1234596700/

I may be old-fashioned, but why didn’t those folks just vote?

All kidding aside and as much as I dislike that woman’s policies I’m glad these people were taken into custody without anyone getting hurt.

3 Likes

Duplicate thread

There is a duplicate, yes, but time-stamp says this is the original.

If the moderators don’t merge threads, the posters on the other thread probably are allowed to re-post their thoughts here.

Aside: “The Atlantic” magazine just wrote about Whitmer yesterday: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/america-will-be-michigan-soon/616635/

(The author admits, : “Full disclosure: [he] served as special counsel to Whitmer on her COVID-19 response and aided in drafting many of her …”)

Dunno if her voters have read it, but her foes probably have.)

1 Like

They should be charged with sedition.

Any of y’all see “the Fisher King”? Trump’s rhetoric can cause actions in others.

"Dana Nessel, the Michigan attorney general, said in a news conference that she was particularly disturbed by messages from politicians that she claimed may have contributed to the violent plot.

“I have watched and have seen and listened over the course of these many months and when we hear the president say, ‘liberate Michigan’ or, ‘there are very fine people on both sides,’ these are not just subtle winks or dog whistles, these are messages to people who want to do harm,” she said. “These are commands to action.”"

This is good, in the sense that the Government officials are safe and that the threat was identified and taken care of.

The world is full of “hate” now days. We are to blame. I am also part of this problem.

Gov, Whitmer seems to have crossed the line with her powers, and the courts said they will not enforce her mandates or what ever it is called, because we have a constitution.

2 Likes

Just thought I’d throw in another conspiracy theory which seem so popular here on CAF…so… what if Trump loses the election but refuses to concede defeat or leave office, could the call “stand by” be a signal for the beginning of armed insurrection.

Could be. There’s enough people willing to fight to keep him in power I think.

Old enough to have seen it when it was new and for the term to make me thing of myth rather than movie.

1 Like

If he wins the vote via the rules and procedures laid down for it and the voting and ballots are cast in a honest and transparent manner he should stay. If he loses and the voting and ballots cast in a honest and transparent manner he should leave. Under no condition should he attempt to stay if he has lost the vote and under no condition should someone try and force him out if he has won.

5 Likes

I concur. 100%

If Americans do vote Biden then he should take office, and we’ll get the government we deserve.

I certainly hope Biden doesn’t win, but at the same time I give it a 50-50 chance there will be armed conflict if he does win.

Most likely not. Most conservatives are at best all talk and no action. There may be some sporadic issues but nothing large scale or wide spread.

Apparently at least one of the accused was upset that his governor had closed the gymnasiums.

Apparently the “storm her home and abduct her in front of her kids” plan was a fallback. Their preferred plan was to storm the state Capitol building.

(No indication whether that group and the armed protestors knew each other. One hopes not.)

Allegedly they hoped to recruit “at least 200” more men, and would attack any police who attempted to stop them.

EDIT: I should clarify what “I hope not” means … it means that there were a lot more than 200 at that Capitol building that day. Also, that I hope some of the protestors have had their eyes opened that maybe they should find better friends. They may claim the, themselves, intend no harm. But the rhetoric is what draws you and them together. Lose their number, eh.

5 Likes

Oh the oppression. Closed the gymnasiums hey?

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.