lucianne.com/thread/?artnum=547073

Anyway, here is the story:

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes,
Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard

ABC News, by David Muir & Bradley Blackburn

Original Article

abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-gov-bobby-jindals-wishes-crude/story?id=10946379

Posted: 6/17/2010 8:26:43 PM

Eight days ago, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ordered barges to begin vacuuming crude oil out of his state's oil-soaked waters. Today, against the governor's wishes, those barges sat idle, even as more oil flowed toward the Louisiana shore. "It's the most frustrating thing," the Republican governor said today in Buras, La. "Literally, yesterday morning we found out that they were halting all of these barges." Sixteen barges sat stationary today, although they were sucking up thousands of gallons of BP's oil as recently as Tuesday. Workers in hazmat suits and gas masks pumped the oil out of*

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:1, topic:202379"]
No joke. Not making this up.

lucianne.com/thread/?artnum=547073

Anyway, here is the story:

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes,
Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard

ABC News, by David Muir & Bradley Blackburn

Original Article

abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-gov-bobby-jindals-wishes-crude/story?id=10946379*

Posted: 6/17/2010 8:26:43 PM

Eight days ago, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ordered barges to begin vacuuming crude oil out of his state's oil-soaked waters. Today, against the governor's wishes, those barges sat idle, even as more oil flowed toward the Louisiana shore. "It's the most frustrating thing," the Republican governor said today in Buras, La. "Literally, yesterday morning we found out that they were halting all of these barges." Sixteen barges sat stationary today, although they were sucking up thousands of gallons of BP's oil as recently as Tuesday. Workers in hazmat suits and gas masks pumped the oil out of

Common sense lost at sea. Why not just buy additonal fire extinguishers and life jackets and return them after you get confirmation?

On news that the Corps of Engineers was busy estimating expected damages of the oil reaching the shore and could not move ahead until estimate was completed. While Nero fiddled, the sea of oil reached the shore.

Although BP is at fault, why are we not blaming our government, EP in particular, for not having things in place if and when such a disaster should occurr? There are hundreds of rigs in the Gulf. Certainly the fishing industry, the tourist industry etc. must have brought this to the attention of the government? The feds are just inept. And if they want to get rid of Tony Haywood, we need to get rid many in our government.

[/quote]

A multi-headed labyrinth of a command structure all part of a government behemoth consisting of department after department all with veto power.

The one thing that government is good at is producing red tape. this is American voters tax dollars at work. The more that the oil does not get sucked up, the more that the bureacracy will call for more money to be invested in their infrastructure in order that they can do a better job, and the more that they are funded, the bigger and more complex that labyrinth of indecision will become.

Why not just ask the capt'n of the boat of they have fire extinguishers and life vests on board?

Oh sorry, too reasonable. The Department of Common Sense seems to be grossly under funded

I read this article too last night and it made me crazy! There is no reason to shut down operations during an emergency like this, unless it was ordered from the top. Safety inspections happen every day at plants and installations all over the country without shutting things down.

The inspection certificates just happened to expire this week? Aw c'mon!

I just can't help but think this was a purposeful stall tactic from within the administration.

[quote="Toplink_pin, post:5, topic:202379"]
I read this article too last night and it made me crazy! There is no reason to shut down operations during an emergency like this, unless it was ordered from the top. Safety inspections happen every day at plants and installations all over the country without shutting things down.

The inspection certificates just happened to expire this week? Aw c'mon!

I just can't help but think this was a purposeful stall tactic from within the administration.

[/quote]

Sure looks that way,:(

Been trying to come up with some equivalent.

Maybe this: traffic cops shut down the fire department during a five alarm fire because they cannot locate the placard on the fire trucks regarding proper color match for the exterior paint for the full line of fire trucks offered by the vendor.

[quote="Toplink_pin, post:5, topic:202379"]

[/quote]

That doesn't even make sense.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:8, topic:202379"]
That doesn't even make sense.

[/quote]

Stopping these tankers over life jackets and fire extinguishers doesn't make sense. They need to be cleaning this up, if the coast guard is worried about life jackets they need to go out there while these tankers are sucking up oil and check them out.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:9, topic:202379"]
Stopping these tankers over life jackets and fire extinguishers doesn't make sense. They need to be cleaning this up, if the coast guard is worried about life jackets they need to go out there while these tankers are sucking up oil and check them out.

[/quote]

If the Coast Guard was REALLY serious about this cleanup, then they would FLY all the emergency gear out to the barges at sea and drop off someone to help install it.

It's just like refusing to allow the berms until the Army Corps of Engineers completes a study in a year or two.

Or refusing to waive the Jones Act for the duration of the emergency so that non-U.S. ships can come in and help suck up the oil.

Do the Feds and Obama and the czars realize they are making themselves look really bad? They ARE NOT showering themselves with glory.

In case after case, they are obstructing the effort and then blaming someone else.

You know what this is????

This is the Cloward-Piven Trap ... IN REVERSE,

Normally the libs put obstacles to prevent progress. So, by now, that is the ONLY thing they know how to do: put up obstacles. So, they perhaps WANT some progress, but they have absolutely no knowledge of how to do it. The only thing they know how to do is to obstruct. (Too bad they didn't do that during the election.)

Just allow the area to be up for grabs for any private operator who wants to harvest crude oil and sell it on the open market. That should clear things up pretty quickly.

They aren't stopping a Catholic ship from skimming oil. NOAA has a great interactive site which shows projected paths of the oil, where it's hit, command centers and, among other things, the ships involved. One of the vessels is named "Pope Benedict XVI". A screen shot of the area a hundred miles or so off Destin Florida where that vessel is operating:

http://usera.ImageCave.com/Hist/Benedict%20XVI.JPG

Haven't seen news reports of this vessel. Anyone know more about the "Pope Benedict XVI" oil skimmer?

Originally Posted by jjdrury81

That doesn't even make sense

Routine inspections are done in industrial facilities every single day without taking a plant out of service. Things from sprinkler systems, electrical disconnects, etc. Certain subsystems may be disabled temporarily but it's usually brief. Anybody with working knowledge of such industries would know that...

...except our current administration of course. Made up of purely academics with little real world knowledge.

Buddy, fire extinguisher inspection is nothing more than walking around the facility with a clipboard, checking off the proper locations and basic visual inspection. I've done this scores of times in the plants and factories I've been part of.

Perhaps this is the reason that Obama disregarded the opinion of 8 engineers in terms of continued Gulf drilling? What's the point of consulting "experts" when you have your mind already made up?

Isn't this just the most ridiculous situation that even could be imagined?

Sitting around thinking that our Government here in the USA couldn't and wouldn't do anything from the "FIRST MOMENT" of this chaos is outragous. And that doesn't begin to explain the fustration over the foolishness of our leaders.

If you look for one second at what this country is actually capable of doing when its motivated? It becomes crystal clear that we have the most dire situation in Washington I have ever witnessed...."EVER". And nobody to blame but ourselfs. How I regret "DAILY" not becoming more involved in the process of helping Clinton get in offfice.

While I don't look to FDR as one of my favorite Presidents their are certainly many things I admire about him. "It is COMMON SENSE to take a method and try it, If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. BUT above ALL...TRY SOMETHING"

Over night FRD took Detroit and went from building Chevys and Cadillacs, to building Tanks and Jeeps..."overnight"? My point is not how capable we are at War. But how capable at how we are at reacting and solving issues with the proper leadership.

Don't think for second that our young men of today are not equipped with some of the most fascinating minds imaginable. And this problem "can't" be solved. Its not being solved because its not being allowed to be corrected. Why? Honestly I wish I could tell you, but it would be an assumption.

God help us, Pray!

[quote="Toplink_pin, post:13, topic:202379"]
Originally Posted by jjdrury81

That doesn't even make sense

Routine inspections are done in industrial facilities every single day without taking a plant out of service. Things from sprinkler systems, electrical disconnects, etc. Certain subsystems may be disabled temporarily but it's usually brief. Anybody with working knowledge of such industries would know that...

...except our current administration of course. Made up of purely academics with little real world knowledge.

Buddy, fire extinguisher inspection is nothing more than walking around the facility with a clipboard, checking off the proper locations and basic visual inspection. I've done this scores of times in the plants and factories I've been part of.

Perhaps this is the reason that Obama disregarded the opinion of 8 engineers in terms of continued Gulf drilling? What's the point of consulting "experts" when you have your mind already made up?

[/quote]

+1 and I have a terrible sickning feeling its just gonna get worst. I would be willing to wager that if action isn't taken very soon, we will reach the boiling point in the US. My heart go's out to the people in this area of the US who must endure this injustice. "We must remember, that any oppression, injustice or hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization". {Rarely do I quote anyone Twice}. But we simply cannot minimize the situation in Washington anymore. Nor reflect in hindsight about what we actually expected from an inexperienced President? I expected someone who didn't know better, to surround himself with the greatest mind available to mankind! And to humbly ask for their help and the countrys help. Thats what I expected...At "least" that much!

Honestly........Its time time cut our loss short.

[quote="GaryTaylor, post:15, topic:202379"]
+1 and I have a terrible sickning feeling its just gonna get worst. I would be willing to wager that if action isn't taken very soon, we will reach the boiling point in the US. My heart go's out to the people in this area of the US who must endure this injustice. "We must remember, that any oppression, injustice or hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization". {Rarely do I quote anyone Twice}. But we simply cannot minimize the situation in Washington anymore. Nor reflect in hindsight about what we actually expected from an inexperienced President? I expected someone who didn't know better, to surround himself with the greatest mind available to mankind! And to humbly ask for their help and the countrys help. Thats what I expected...At "least" that much!

Honestly........Its time time cut our loss short.

[/quote]

And how do we do that? I find Obama incompetent and inept as do many others. I think he should be fired. Guess he will be come 2012. Only thing we can do is get as many out come Nov. This administration is such a disaster.

GaryTaylor:

I understand your sentiment. The incredible irony in this whole oil spill situation is that there are indeed many private groups/companies that have ideas and processes that can be tried. Any many more technologies that could, and should, be developed in order to continue with drilling at any depth. If we applied the WW2 model (which I think you were getting at) we would have scores of companies stepping forward with workable solutions.

But therein lies the problem: private industries. This administration so clearly does not want to strengthen anything outside of government. This administration is locked at one heading and is not going to steer out of it. Stubborness and arrogance, with no real world knowledge, disastrous combination.

You make a great point about an inexperienced leader. We all encounter a boss or manager who just has no clue what is going on. But the best managers are those who recognize the skills and talents of those under his charge. But he also has to have some common sense, and to direct those charges properly. A good boss should never have to micro-manage, he should stack a team with qualified people who know how to get the job done.

This team however strikes me as a bunch of spoiled brat frat boys, looking for their next prank. The stalling of the skimming boats strikes me as just such a prank. Can I prove it? No of course not. But it stinks to high heaven of something a spiteful person would do. Abuse of power to alter an outcome. In this case to stall cleanup, spite a Republican governor, further the meme of "global warming" and "evil fossil fuels", etc.

As I've mentioned before, I'm sure I will be yet again impressed with more incompetence from this administration. But as someone else mentioned, how in the world can they even have reasonable approval numbers? Is the bulk of the population asleep?

[quote="Toplink_pin, post:17, topic:202379"]

This administration is locked at one heading and is not going to steer out of it. Stubborness and arrogance, with no real world knowledge, disastrous combination.

But he also has to have some common sense, and to direct those charges properly.

This team however strikes me as a bunch of spoiled brat frat boys, looking for their next prank.

The stalling of the skimming boats strikes me as just such a prank.

As I've mentioned before, I'm sure I will be yet again impressed with more incompetence from this administration. But as someone else mentioned, how in the world can they even have reasonable approval numbers? Is the bulk of the population asleep?

[/quote]

Sorry for editing your post. But you are right.

If someone lies on his resume, he can be fired.

[hint]

I think it comes down to humility. I stink at woodworking and carpentry. I would much rather fix the boiler or washing machine. I build pretty cutting edge high tech electronic stuff for a living, but don't have the confidence to install moulding :) So I call a good friend of mine, a masterful craftsman. He jabs me for being an engineer that can't cut wood! He's right, none of my education and talents makes me a good carpenter. I have no problem consulting him for any jobs like that.

But I have the common sense to know that if I remain stubborn and prideful, the work I do won't look as good. Plus I may not know certain hints and tricks that only a skilled craftsmen would know. I don't know how to do carpentry, but I'm smart enough to know that and call someone who does.

Mr Obama has an incredible opportunity (he's had several) to do something similar. I surely don't expect any sitting president to know every detail of what goes on in a nation. However, a good leader has to have common sense. I'm sure he does have some shred of conscience nagging at him, it's human nature.

Obama et all, know exactly what they should be doing. They are not clueless. I would forgive ignorance, but not arrogance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.