Feds to seek death penalty against accused Boston bomber Tsarnaev

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/30/22509199-feds-to-seek-death-penalty-against-accused-boston-bomber-tsarnaev

This man and his late brother need our prayers. He remains at this time unrepentant

I oppose the death penalty SOLELY because JPII did (though I think secure imprisonment should be a moral prerequisite because there are rapes and murders in prison as well)

But from a secular societal standpoint, it is difficult to believe this cruel and heartless killer does NOT deserve the death penalty, and it is difficult to see why society should not impose it.

It’s hard to say no to the death penalty after what this man and his brother did, but I have to stand with the Church on this issue. Would Jesus ask that they die? No, He already went through the most painful form of death for us. I don’t think he should be executed. Our country may allow this to happen, but God is the highest authority.

The church recognizes that states have the right to execute criminals duly convicted of serious crimes.

Would Jesus ask that they die? No …

The easy answer is no but it isn’t clear that this is the right answer.Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. (Mt 15:3-6)

He already went through the most painful form of death for us. I don’t think he should be executed. Our country may allow this to happen, but God is the highest authority.

• Why should we condemn a practice that all hold to be permitted by God? We uphold, therefore, what has been observed until now, in order not to alter the discipline and so that we may not appear to act contrary to God’s authority. *(Innocent I)
    Ender

I am against the death penalty and so I would say that he should get life in prison without parole.

The death penalty is not a satisfying answer. I’m sure he would be happy to be martyred with the death penalty.

He should get life in prison so that he has many years to think about his sins.

:thumbsup:

I always wonder how someone can be pro-life, anti euthanasia and yet for the death penalty.

Originally Posted by TRH1292 View Post
The death penalty is not a satisfying answer. I’m sure he would be happy to be martyred with the death penalty.

He should get life in prison so that he has many years to think about his sins.

Agree with this completely.

If willing some of the victims families should meet with him so he can see the human faces he hurt so badly.

This is simply a ruse by the administration. Charging him with the death penalty is certainly going to make him plead guilty in order to avoid it. This way, the administration can claim to be tough on terror.

BTW, I don’t have any problem with sentencing him to death.

Agreed

I have never understood the “Jesus wouldn’t approve of capital punishment”-meme, in light of the fact that in the very law that He gave to Israel, capital punishment was proscribed for a number of crimes.
Note, however, that my argument isn’t: “We should have CP because the Bible says it”, but: “The idea that God is against CP as a matter of principle is wrong, because He commands it several times”

I agree. His death will not bring back any of the victims, bless them. But a sentence of life imprisonment without parole, given at his age, hopefully will teach him something about the value of a human life.

It is out of profound respect for life that the death penalty is called for in crimes such as these.

Neither will throwing him in jail. So what’s the point of it all, anyway, if we’re to use that logic?

He is quite lucky to be ending up in the US, given the recent ‘exploits’ by those sharing his ideology in the Russian Federation he is lucky not to be passing through their justice system. Or perhaps not so lucky as I imagine Americans are probably quite heated about the whole thing.

While I believe that people like Bid Laden or Hussein should get the DP in light of Catholic teaching of the DP, I don’t believe it should be used in this case because of his age and relative immaturity.

He is no better than Jeffrey Dohmer. If anything, his crimes are more vile and evil.

Keeping him segregated from the rest of the prison population, like Jeffrey Dohmer evidently wasn’t, falls under the category of cruel and unusual punishment.

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.