feed my sheep

Does the following from Johns gospel make a better case for the primacy of Peter than the “keys of the kingdom”:

15 8 9 10 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He then said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” (Jesus) said to him, "Feed my sheep.

Thanks.

I don’t think it stands alone as well as Matthew 16 (my opionion only), but it certainly does support, or bolster, the teaching introduced in Matthew.

It also shows how Jesus allowed Peter to “undo” his three denials of Christ outside the gates. Notice that Jesus greets Peter by a charcoal fire. This little detail reminds us that the last time Peter was in front of a charcoal fire, he was denying Jesus.

No, the keys of the kingdom tie back to the old testament’s keeper of the keys who was the chief assistant of the lord and master and was a hereditary position (passed on).

I tend to concur. This statement stands with, not separate from Peter being handed the keys. A little note here: I think people all too often glance over the implications of being “sheep” or being part of a “flock”. Anyone who understands sheep will tell you that they NEED a shepherd because, quite frankly, they are stupid. Sheep are usually not bright enough to keep themselves out of danger, and domestic sheep do no good if left to their own devices.

If you think about it in those terms, the whole “I gave my life to Jesus, not to a church”, the “Jesus and me” view of Salvation, just doesn’t make any sense.

Do you think the other disciples heard what Jesus asked Peter?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.