Feedback for Forum Folks

I can’t think of a way to make a good poll out of this, so try to keep your feedback simple.

Feedback examples:

Responses too short/too long.
Be gentler/Be more blunt
Use more/fewer links.
Topics wander too much/too restrictive
Threads go too long/too short.
No complaints.
etc.

some threads are too long, and some wonder too much… but i guess thats a good thing, cuz it brings diversity into it all…

“Diverse city” -Toby Mac :slight_smile:

I sort of hate to say “too long”… but it’s so much to read.

all of the above? I’ve seen threads that are “guilty” of each of the above charges.

-Some responses are too long, others are too short.

-Some people are too gentle when a firmer response would be better, while others fly off the handle and make things worse than if they hadn’t posted at all.

-Some people post all links without any input, others talk about other webpages without providing any links.

-etc.

Threads tend to wander… away from OP’s subject. That may go with the territory, but maybe it is also the responsibility of the OP to keep the thread on track, reminding posters what is the subject at hand.

Jim

I think that if people would take the time to pray about their reply we would have more well thought out posts. Too many replies are born out of emotion it seems.

Also I think that respect is an issue on these forums. We need to understand that other people are allowed to have a different opinion and respect that.

But all in all I am very happy with the forums. I have learned so much here. Most of the people are extremely helpful, knowledgable, and kind.

Malia

Some threads turn into nothing but bickering and fighting. Usually after getting completely off topic.

It makes me sad! smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif

[quote=Mike_Olson]Some threads turn into nothing but bickering and fighting. Usually after getting completely off topic.

It makes me sad! smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif

[/quote]

You’re also looking a little jaundice there.

Too pushy/rude-this is my greatest beef.

Too many critics… :wink:

Every now and then, I come across a thread that reminds me of why I quit frequenting Protestant forums. On the Protestant forums, I ran into Scripture verse slinging, but I have seen threads here in the last 3 weeks since I became active that use Church document verse slinging. I agree also that individuals should pray before posting (I have thought about trying to post a perpetual Rosary for individuals to add to the Rosary and pray before perusing the forums), and if a thread is emotinally charged, I believe a reponse should be saved for later. Thanks and God Bless.

One of the kindest, intelligent, and wisest persons I have known was a college professor. He was also very patient with us. For him, there were “no dumb questions.” We asked some off-the-wall ones!

Also, he conducted all of his classes seminar style with a blend of lecture and discussion. There were times when we would be kind of “full of ourselves.” That was okay. He’d let us talk away. But then, after a bit, when there was a pause, he simply inquire, without a malicious tone or sarcasm, “What’s the question?” Ha. We looked to one another and have a good laugh, since we had been talking a great deal, but had lost track of the original question. “What’s the question?”

God bless those who help us with their gentle ways, though we have wandered, to, if you will, “get back on track.”

A person asks a serious question and three out of the first five replies are sarcastic. It’s disrespectful, IMO.

Some post are just too LONG!!! I rarely read them…especially if they are post in one long paragraph w/ no breaks…too hard to read…

Too many posts are wayyyy too long, and I get bored reading it half way through…my other beef, is with some (albeit very few) who are so rude to others…although that sometimes only appears to be the case when in fact the person was not trying to be rude.

…and get rid of those damn showoffs with their pictures… they drive me crazy… Peace:thumbsup:

newsarama.com/SDCC04/DC/DCU/SPG_Cv1.jpg

Occasionally, two posters will get into a private debate that lasts for too many posts. They usually know each other, and just take over the thread. This occurs especially on the long ones.

I’ve been on these forums from the beginning and someone posted some good advice early on that I’ve tried to follow: Once a thread gets to around 12 posts, it is usually a good time to move on. At that time or soon after, personalities and ego kick in and the thread quickly degenerates into the bickering and arguing. Sometimes amiability can be maintained beyond this point, but not often.

[quote=Fidelis]I’ve been on these forums from the beginning and someone posted some good advice early on that I’ve tried to follow: Once a thread gets to around 12 posts, it is usually a good time to move on. At that time or soon after, personalities and ego kick in and the thread quickly degenerates into the bickering and arguing. Sometimes amiability can be maintained beyond this point, but not often.
[/quote]

…Says post #17… :rotfl:

Hmmm, feedback…? Feedback…? Oh, yeah:

THE REPUTATION SYSTEM WANTS TO BE FREE!
:wink:
tee
(Just so Fidelis knows there’s no hard feelings: I’m poster #18 – what’s that say about me?)

Has there ever been any discussion of, say, several folks identifying a topic. Then, they develop the question(s), poll, and are as leaders of the particular forum to keep it on track. Would something like this be feasible? If so, would it need to be approved?

[quote=space ghost]…and get rid of those damn showoffs with their pictures… they drive me crazy… Peace:thumbsup:

newsarama.com/SDCC04/DC/DCU/SPG_Cv1.jpg
[/quote]

Good point Space Ghost ! :wink: I wonder who that might be ? :hmmm:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.