Feel Pressured

Hey guys, for the past year or so I have been feeling pressured to go into priesthood , and to a Catholic university. I do not know what to do, as these thoughts of priesthood are affecting my life negatively. I can’t simply push these thoughts away, and I have a feeling this is a form of OCD . I currently have a dream to go to a state university and hope to follow my career path but these thoughts keep coming through. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

If you have been diagnosed with OCD then you might need to contact your health care provider to adjust your treatment. If not, if you only assume you have OCD because of these persistent thoughts–and you know you don’t have a real problem with OCD, then you might want to talk to your priest about discerning priesthood. He’s not going to try to talk you into anything. On the contrary, he’ll want to be sure you are sensing a calling and not merely obsessing over this. IOW, you might want to seek out some help if this is affecting your life in a negative way.

Thank you. I am worried because this is actually distancing me away from my faith. From what I know , one isn’t forced or pressured into a vocation. Is this correct ?

Don't do anything you feel pressured to do. If you don't enjoy the thought of going into priesthood then don't do it. It will just make things worse for you.

[quote="Oli1200, post:3, topic:301282"]
Thank you. I am worried because this is actually distancing me away from my faith. From what I know , one isn't forced or pressured into a vocation. Is this correct ?

[/quote]

Correct. For practical reasons alone seminaries don't want people who feel pressured into pursuing the priesthood. It's not good for the candidate nor is it good for those he would potentially be ministering to. So relax and let this go. If God really wants you in the priesthood or religious life doors will open--you won't have to force them. :)

Thank you. I just feel as if if I don't pursue the religious life I would be disappointing GOD, and in turn may be punished ? I'm not too sure what to do.

[quote="Oli1200, post:6, topic:301282"]
Thank you. I just feel as if if I don't pursue the religious life I would be disappointing GOD, and in turn may be punished ? I'm not too sure what to do.

[/quote]

When God is leading you to do something, He also puts in your heart a joy towards the thing He wants you to do when it comes to things like that that will affect your entire life. :thumbsup: He may have people go and do simple things they may not feel joy about, but when it comes to something that requires** that** much commitment, and will affect your whole life, He also gives people a joy in wanting to do that thing. :) So if you don't really enjoy the thought of becoming a preist, then it's most likely not God leading you to do it. :thumbsup: So don't feel bad or like you are disappointing Him.

Priesthood is an invitation, not conscription. :slight_smile:
I ask God to help you feel peace and to only carry what He intends, not all you fear that you should carry. :slight_smile:

Wow. Thank you all, this has really cleared a few things up for me.
God Bless you all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.