Feeling ashamed!

I am a lector in my parish …I’ve read about 8 times before and I’ve always read very well and people have always complimented me afterwards saying that I read very well and so on. Today however idk what happened but I didn’t read well. After reading I felt that I didn’t read well so after I got down from the alter I went outside church and stayed there for the entire mass. I was really embarrassed and almost felt like crying . After mass a few people who I bumped into said that I read okay but was evidently really nervous .
I’m really upset and idk what happened . I feel ashamed :sob::sob::sob: and I’m planning on leaving the lector’s group because I feel like I’ve let everyone down

1 Like

My dear freind never give up what ever it happens when you are down you know that there s hope because our lord loves you no matter what! he s here for you

2 Likes

I’m serious I feel really ashamed …I’m an introvert and I started reading in church to become more comfortable and now after this I don’t want to ever do it again

1 Like

Don’t be hard on yourself except to just get the readings ahead of time and read them over and over thank you for being a lector.

7 Likes

You felt a call to read and have done it very well since today. And in your mind, you are probably much harder on yourself than others.

Maybe think about it this way: I’m sure you have heard other lectors or presenters stumble or make a mistake while reading, but did you think about it all day? Did the thought preoccupy your mind for a long period of time? Or did you forget about it pretty quickly, knowing that they are human and can make a mistake.

You will do well the next time you read. :grinning:

6 Likes

Shame is just the flip side of pride my dear-and we all start out with way too much of that. We all need to work on getting over ourselves. It’s ok to be imperfect, and laugh about it even-none of us really have a choice on that one in fact! You’ll be fine. Pray to care less about other’s opinions. God wants us to be ourselves.

10 Likes

Ask those other people if they want to read then.
People judge lectors and servers of the altar a lot but then if they are asked if they would be interested they say no. Such typical humanity unfortunately.

1 Like

Hugs, dear.

Everybody can have a bad day :slightly_smiling_face:

The only way you could really “let down” the lectors group is if you were a no-call-no-show, or if you started living an open life of scandal in your spare time.

5 Likes

I’m a lector too, and I strive to get it as perfect as possible. Before Mass I will usually read through the readings and; if no music, the entrance and communion antiphons, Psalm, Alleluia verse; the prayer of the faithful, announcements etc.
If there is a word I’m not sure of, which happens a lot in the Old Testament, a simple Google search will clarify it, many Churches also have those daily readings that go in binders and in the front have a glossary with difficult words for that month.
As lectors we are not perfect. Even priests make mistakes reading the Gospel.
However we also should realize we are responsible for proclaiming the Word and should make an effort to do the best as we can.
Do you at least read through the readings before Mass? That can help a lot. I notice the people who lector who don’t and have no idea what the readings are when they are walking up to the ambo are the ones who have difficulty and these issues the most. Don’t be hard on yourself though, we all have bad days.

2 Likes

The devil doesn’t like that you read and is trying to get you to stop.

Don’t let him win!

When you fall off a horse, you get right back on.

When you have a nervous day reading, you get right back up there and read. Ask God to help you because it’s through him that you are able to do this wonderful ministry. You’re not doing it all yourself. God is doing it and using you as his voice.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Think of the times that even deacons and priests make a mistake in what they are doing. I’ve seen priests accidentally spill Eucharist or read a totally wrong reading for the day and not realize it till they get up to give the homily. They don’t get excused from saying the next Mass they’re scheduled for.

Persevere!

8 Likes

You didn’t let anyone down. Public speaking, even when reading from a text, isn’t the most comfortable thing for a person to do. Everyone has an off day and when you’re in front of a crowd it feels worse.

Don’t let this one day define your ability to be a lector, especially if being a lector is something you enjoy.

4 Likes

Don’t be so hard on yourself.

I used to fret if I messed up a reading (and I’ve had days where I tripped over every second word). When I expressed my disappointment in myself to my priest after one such day, he reminded me of something: I’m not there to put on a performance. I’m there to glorify God. Do you think God is going to be disappointed because your performance wasn’t perfect? Of course not. All he cares is that you are THERE.

So be there. Not for the lector’s group, or the congregation, or the praise, but because it brings you closer in your relationship with God.

6 Likes

I’ve read that it is actually the most common fear among people, or that it’s up in the top three with stuff like fear of heights.

3 Likes

Perspective. Every now and then we have children from the local Catholic school be the lectors. Of course great intention but half the time the reading is not clear, these kids just do not pronounce properly even after coaching. So compared to that, I am sure you did well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s not a performance – no one expects perfection! That’s one of the things I love about the church – unconditional love! No one loves you less or is ashamed of you if you biffed a part of the reading!
If I had to guess the mind of God, I think He would want you to lighten up!! God bless and thank you for serving the Church!!

3 Likes

@Izzy1,

Most of the time, I do the 1st reading and responsorial psalm in our parish, other times, the 2nd reading. At first, I felt nervous, despite praying for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I still felt that I failed everyone. Like you, I was too hard on myself. Then, a deep firm voice within me said: “Remember, you’re reading it for Me, not for others. As long as it’s coming from your heart, I do appreciate it, and that’s what matters most. Everything you do, you do it for My glory”. After that, I felt peaceful. Now, I don’t mind making mistakes, knowing full well that GOD is in control.

So just keep calm and move on. Rest assured, I’ll include you in my prayer. God bless!

7 Likes

@Izzy1,
As promised, I included you in my prayer in one of the threads I created called “Let’s complete the 20 decades of Rosary”. You may go check it it out. Peace be with you.

3 Likes

I am a reader at Mass as well and believe me I’ve made terrible mistakes. Once I looked up, lost my place and just stood there for a few seconds til I found it again. One time I was so sick I sounded like Minnie Mouse when I read. I’ve mispronounced words and used to read too fast til my family told me to SLOW down. I’ve also read the wrong reading. But I think it is a Privilege to be able to read God’s word at mass. It also is a blessing for me each and every time. All I can say is PRACTICE. I do that up until the time Mass starts. I definitely could not walk out because I also have to do the prayers of the Faithful and the Communion Antiphon. Don’t worry about letting people down you are reading at Mass for GOD----ask Him right before Mass to give you the Grace you need to do the readings well.

4 Likes

I was a lector for years. I’ve never known one – including myself – who never had a bad day. It happens.
Take some deep breaths, and go do something fun to take your mind off of it. It’s going to be OK.

5 Likes

And remember 99% of those in the pews would never get up there and read during Mass. You’ve given your time and talent to the Lord by doing this.

5 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.