Feeling closer to the Blessed Mother than to Jesus

Hello friends.

I have thought quite a lot about this and I wanted to put it out there for input and opinions.

I have often thought about the fact that I feel a closer relationship to Mary than to Jesus. Allow me to explain.

In times of trouble, I find it easier to turn to Mary. I feel like she, as a woman and a mother, can “relate” better to my struggles.

Then, I feel bad. After all, Jesus understands us all as well, right? And God the Father knows what is in our hearts and minds and there is nothing that we can be or do that He won’t understand and help us with.

I guess I project human traits on Them – that a woman would know better how another woman feels, know what I mean?

How can I get over this? How can I feel closer to Jesus?

This is something I have discussed with other Catholics…some say that the RCC hasn’t done enough to foster our personal relationships with Jesus. What do you think of that assertion? When I hear that phrase “personal relationship with Jesus” I have to say, I think Protestantism – but then I think, well, I guess I am lacking that if I feel a personal relationship with Mary, but not so much with Jesus…

Thanks for you kind replys.

I don’t see anything inherently wrong, as long as you remember that Mary is not God and that Jesus is. By going to Mary first because she is mother and can “relate” is not projecting humanity on either Jesus or Mary, because Mary is human, always will be human, and Jesus is God Incarnate and understands (because He lived) humanity, so they have humanity already without our projections. If you feel more comfortable asking Mary for help, then do so, because in the end, she will bring you to her Son. I have biological mother issues (with my mother) so I find my relationship with Mary to be helpful because she’s the only mother I seem to have, so for me also, it is easier to turn to Mary.

Don’t let your “feelings” overcome reality. By receiving the Eucharist, you are infinitely closer to Christ than you were before taking Communion, for you are now a living Tabernacle of the True God, much like Mary was in her unique way.

Another good tip I can add, when you wake up in the morning, try to add (without removing any the devotional prayers to Mary you have already) either the Litany of the Holy Name of Jesus or the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (if you already don’t practice the First Friday devotions). Also, read (if possible) the True Devotion to Mary by St Louis de Montfort AND Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.

If you keep these in mind, I hope this is helpful! (Also, feel free to Personal Message me, I’m more than willing to help.) :slight_smile:

Bla bla bla - forget all the minudencies and the details…
You are with Mary? You are with Jesus…
I hardly believe how loving Her would be unpleasant for Jesus…Surrealistical…
The V II proclaimed Mary the Mediatrix of All Graces.
It was through her that we got Christ, through her “Amen”.
Pray to Mary and let them talk…

“When the devil wishes to make himself master of a soul, he seeks to make it give up devotion to Mary.” St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

“Never be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her more than Jesus did.” St. Maximilian Kolbe

– Spend a little time each day in mental prayer, even if it is for 10 minutes. Meditate on the love Jesus has for us that he lay down his life for us.
– read the Gospels
– talk to Christ throughout the day with little short ejaculations, For example, "Lord help me to be patient. Or “Thank you Christ for dying for me.”

In short, try to see Jesus in whatever you experience throughout the day.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply and kind words of encouragement. I found the bolded especially helpful!

Thank you for these inspiring words! I found the bolded quote really helpful!

Thank you for your kind suggestions, especially the bolded!

I found your post dismissive and a little hurtful. I don’t think it’s charitable to begin any reply with “Bla bla bla.”

Also, what does “minudencies” mean?

try this long read by St. Louis de Montfort

TREATISE ON TRUE DEVOTION TO THE BLESSED VIRGIN

Mary was to God as the only sin free woman to give birth to Jesus.

Mary was to Jesus the mother that gave birth to him. Protected him as a child. Raised him to a man. Was with him at death. Was with him when he resurrected. Was with him when he ascended to the right hand of the father.

***The Prayer Of Mary ***

*My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.

He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.

He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.

He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children forever.

(Lk 1:46-55)*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.