Feeling completely lost, contemptful towards God

Well said. thank you.

“fearing punishment is not Godly repentance.”

Does that mean those who repent out of fear of going to Hell are going there anyway?

“If any man assert that attrition … is not a true and a profitable sorrow; that it does not prepare the soul for grace, but that it makes a man a hypocrite, yea, even a greater sinner, let him be Anathema” Council of Trent

Do something for others so you won’t be so awash in self pity. Go to the local abortion mill and pray for the babies. Babies are saved all the time and a satanist said he saw some incredible things happen when Catholics were praying outside. He was inside murdering babies. Now he is a Catholic convert

Hi @scrupulousrvrt

Those who don"t repent and persist in sinning till the end sure, has to face the Judgement of God and will be punished.i totally agree with you on this, those who don"t love God out of Love then at least out of attrition as you stated ,i abide by the Council of Trent God Bless

Here we should have reverential fear of God for what He, is and not out of fear of punishment is not true repentance ,it should be out of love for God ,Jesus loved the the repentant sinner and showed love and mercy .but hated sin not the sinner .

Contrition is a genuine sorrow for our sins, because by them we have offended, so good a God, together with the primary purpose of amendment and also to resolution to avoid ,by the Grace of God ,not only sin but also the occasions of sin.

Attrition is sorrow for sin arising mainly from the fear of punishment of Hell.

Perfect Contrition is deep felt sorrow for sin arising purely from the love of God.

https://www.littleflower.org/therese/reflections/st-therese-and-her-little-way/
HER LITTLE WAY
**St. Therese believed that the people of her time lived in too great fear of Gods judgment. The fear was stifling and did not allow people to experience the freedom of the children of God. St. Therese knew from her life that God is merciful love; many scripture passages in the Old and New Testaments bore out that truth. She loved the maternal images for God in the Old Testament and the love of God for us in Jesus Christ. In fact, . Therese once wrote that she could not understand how anyone could be afraid of a God who became a child. She also knew that she would never be perfect. Therefore, she went to God as a child approaches a parent with open arms and a profound trust.

2 Corinthians 7:9-11 As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting; for you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. 10 For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation and brings no regret, but worldly grief produces death. 11 For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what zeal, what punishment! At every point you have proved yourselves guiltless in the matter.

1 John 4:16-18 So we know and believe the love God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 In this is love perfected with us, that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears is not perfected in love.

John 3:17 For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.
We will be called Jesus ,our Friend and Brother John 15:15,Matthew 12:50

“And it is the Lord, it is Jesus, Who is my judge. Therefore I will try always to think leniently of others, that He may judge me leniently, or rather not at all, since He says: “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged.” – St. Therese of Lisieux

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.