Feeling Confirmed

Like so many people, I’m unsure if this is in the right category or not. If it isn’t, I’ll trust the admins to move it.

I was a cradle Catholic who even went to a parochial school. I received all the sacraments at the appropriate times–including Confirmation when I was about 12. I remember–although somewhat vaguelly, the preparation classes we went through prior to being confirmed. This was back in the early 60’s–back when receiving ANY sacrament for the first time WAS a really big deal! The girls all wore white dresses and the boys suits for confirmation just like for First Communion. I lived in a small town in the midwest and simply having the bishop come to our parish was a HUGE deal in itself and we studied for weeks because the bishop was going to ask us random questions at that Mass and we had to be prepared to answer if we were the one he called on. So YES, I prepared as well as I knew how to–at least at the time.

Anyway, I truly understood what the sacrament of Confirmation meant , its connection to Pentecost and that through it we were supposed to be receiving the Holy Spirit and the gifts that He brought with Him when He came to us. I was very much into my faith back then, and I can’t express how much I looked forward to being confirmed and receiving these gifts. I labored over choosing a confirmation name and sponsor. I took it all VERY seriously and I studied fiercely.

Then the day finally came and I was confirmed and maybe this was just because I’d “over-built-it-up” in my mind, but when I knelt expectantly in front of the bishop and he confirmed me, I remember standing back up to return to my seat and just feeling so disappointed because I felt absolutely no different after than before.

Now, later on, I fell away from the church for over 30 years–thus none of my 5 kids are Catholic (a huge sadness to me now) and I have been back about 3+ years now. My falling away had nothing to do with my disappointment with my confirmation, but the truth is, I still don;t feel “confirmed” even to this very day. I WANT to feel whatever one is supposed to feel so very much–especially now that I’m an old lady in her 60’s, but the truth is that I just don’t. I’ve prayed over this many, many times—but so far I don’t feel an answer if I’ve received one. I almost feel cheated in a strange way—and I don’t know what to do about it.

I guess this is just a question: Has anyone else ever felt this way—and if so, did you eventually grow to feel differently–and if so, how did you grow to feel the change? What–if anything did you do–or did you just wake up one day and feel the change? Thanks to anyone with advice to share.

BTW, since my return, I say the Chaplet of Divine Mercy Daily (though I often have trouble getting it done right at 3 p,), I say the daily Rosary and even say parts of the daily breviary—and I ask God daily to please send me the Holy Spirit. I go to weekly Mass (daily when I can) and confession at least once a month. So while nobody’s prayer life is perfect, I’m just saying that I have invested my whole heart and soul into making mine real–especially since I blew it so badly for so many years that I have much to atone for. I just feel like somehow God skipped over me all those years ago. Is anyone out there in the same boat I am? AND, if so, what is your answer if you have one.

Feelings are not something to rely on and they are transitory.

The sacrament was imposed by the Bishop (or a priest delegated by him), then you were confirmed.

It doesn’t matter one bit whether or not you “feel” confirmed. You were expecting to feel some emotion, or some presence, after you had received. We are called to live by faith. That means we will not normally receive any feeling that confirms to us that we have really received Jesus, or the Holy Spirit, etc.

Reading more about our faith can help - not so much transitory feelings, but by centering us more securely in the truth. Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Read about the sacraments, about the Holy Spirit and His gifts, then start applying them to your daily life. Try to become sensitive to the small stirrings of Grace that whisper in you soul. These are far more that feelings that can be quite mistaken.

Trust in Jesus and in His Church. You ARE confirmed.

This was a hard lesson to learn - but I have learned it. It’s the only way to approach the faith sanely. If the truth depends on how you feel - it’s not truth.

Great answers – as far as the Divine Mercy Chaplet, remember, you can check the World Time Clock and find it’s Three O’Clock somewhere! :wink:

As others have said (and I think you know), our feelings are not accurate measuring sticks of whether or not the sacrament “worked”. You did receive the graces of the Sacrament of Confirmation. They dwell within you even now.

My advice: pray to the Holy Spirit. Pray for an outpouring of His grace in your heart. Pray that those gifts you have already received through Confirmation may be strengthened and made more manifest in your daily life. Pray for this every day.

Another option you might consider is to seek out any Catholic charismatic prayer groups in your area, or perhaps see if there is a “Life in the Spirit” seminar happening in your area that you could attend. The Catholic Charismatic Renewal Movement is all about awakening these gifts within us that we oftentimes allow to grow fallow in our hearts. This really just gives you structure and a small community of others by which to put into practice my first piece of advice: pray to the Holy Spirit.

many people know what you mean-- in the 50 years – sence the 4th grade – i have met – no one – who got the baptism of the holy Spirit from that ceremony and tridition-- and in the 1960’s i went thru-- the catholic charasmetic - group-- but again – the people there were not anointed wtith the Holy Spirit-

but finally-- God spoke to me and told me to – go to a bible school-- that had trainin for prophets–and there i got the baptism of the Holy Spirit – so now i fellowship with spiritually activated christians-- the catholic ceremony’s make you “feel” warm and fuzzy-- But-- the catholic bishop’s i have met were not prophetic-- or prophets–

they were just trained in “Doctrune”

and yesd when you are born again- activated-- your natural body-- will recoginze it-- and you will feel-- the difference–

and yes – as some people say-- it’s like electricity – flowing thru you–

you can pray-- but try fasting 4 40 days-- get the bood “the fasting prayer” by franklen Hall-

that should "wake u up

acts 19

Paul in Ephesus

19 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”

They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.”

5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

start here – with a prophet—

6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues** and prophesied.

1 Samuel 19:20-24New International Version (NIV)

20 so he sent men to capture him.

1… But when they saw a group of prophets prophesying, with Samuel standing there as their leader, the Spirit of God came on Saul’s men, and they also prophesied.

21 Saul was told about it, and

2… he sent more men, and they prophesied too.

3…Saul sent men a third time, and they also prophesied. 22

4…Finally, he himself left for Ramah and went to the great cistern at Seku. And he asked, “Where are Samuel and David?”

“Over in Naioth at Ramah,” they said.

23 So Saul went to Naioth at Ramah.

5.l…But the Spirit of God came even on him,

6…and he walked along prophesying until he came to Naioth.

24 He stripped off his garments, and he too prophesied in Samuel’s presence. He lay naked all that day and all that night. This is why people say, “Is Saul also among the prophets?”**

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.