Feeling convicted due to Techno Music?

I'm starting to get back into Techno music, and I have begun to feel as if I am in sin in listening to the genre... I feel it may be because I'm looking for a 'feel good' 'high' from the music; in addition, some of the song names are a bit questionable: Extacy, Techno Cocaine, etc. I don't know, maybe I'm being scrupulous; but neither the titles nor the music itself feels particularly glorifying to God.

Not sure if you meant “conflicted” though you typed “convicted.”

But convicted is maybe accurate enough, for it sounds like your conscience is troubled about listening to this music. Have you consulted with your confessor about this?

One problem, I’m not fully Catholic yet…

I just saw that you are in RCIA. If so, you could still approach your priest and meet with him about spiritual direction.

Do you have a sponsor at RCIA yet?

Yes, I will have to talk to my sponsor about this then; though, I’m open to you guys’ providing input.

If you don’t feel that it glorifies God, and this troubles you, then stop listening to it.

Do you currently listen to any music that you think glorifies God?

Every kind of music, every kind of instrument, every voice, and every kind of dance is capable of glorifying God if used in the proper context. Even the “darkest” forms of music and dance - the kinds you might find at a drug-tripping dance club or a strip club - are corrupt celebrations of gifts that God gave us. Consulting your spiritual advisor, as someone else suggested in this thread, is a great idea. You might also look into some Christian techno and see if that music satisfies your musical cravings in a way that glorifies God. I don’t know if Christian techno today is any good or not, but I know that it exists - might be worth a shot.

Of course none of us can tell you whether this music is causing you to sin or drift away from God. That is something you need to discern for yourself (with the help of a spiritual director if you are feeling very conflicted about it).

I would just say that enjoyment is not antithetical to our Catholic faith. It’s okay to enjoy things! Moderation is always key (because we don’t want to replace God in our hearts with the enjoyable things of this world), but it is not inherently sinful to enjoy things.

Why listen to music at all if it doesn’t make you “feel good” to some extent? Should we only listen to music that makes us feel bad? Mortification through music. :wink:

I’m assuming that this music is instrumental? If so, I wouldn’t get too hung up on the song titles. Artists like to be provocative. :rolleyes: The title of an instrumental really doesn’t have any bearing on the song itself.

But if listening to it disturbs your peace, the simple solution is not to listen to it.

Just because I enjoy offering different perspectives.... :)

For me, the biggest concern would be the associations I have with the music. I know people who have had to completely avoid certain genres of music (or at least certain bands and/or songs) after their conversion because that music "takes them back" to a time in their life that they were doing many sinful things.

Music is powerful that way. Growing up, my brother and I would often get CDs and video games for Christmas and listen to the former while playing the latter. Even now -- 15 to 20 years later -- there are certain albums that conjure up images of specific video games every time I listen to them.

So if you have a checkered past and listening to techno music brings you back to a place of doing bad things, then that might be a reason to avoid it. Or maybe you just need new and different techno music. It really depends on the associations and what triggers them.

But if you have no such negative associations, then I have trouble imagining there being a genuine problem in listening to it.

I would honestly not worry about such names. These are names of drugs, sure, but they’re probably being used metaphorically. Cocaine gives people a state of heightened alertness and this may be an attempt to draw the same response to the actual song. You know drugs are bad, they kill people and drug dealers do bad things. You know that purposefully hurting your body and hurting others for pleasure is bad. If you still know this and use the song as a pleasant tune to feel better I don’t think there is anything wrong there. Of course I don’t know the lyrics but I am assuming they’re not blasphemous or vulgar.

I listen to “techno” so to speak. There are some vulgar songs, but for the most part I find the genre uplifting.

Since there are few words, there’s not as much opportunity for vulgarity.

Techno and trance are used at raves, which involve lots of illegal drug use, but you don’t have to go to raves and even if you do, you don’t have to do drugs.

The DJs don’t seem to be high to me, or how could they mix the music?

:wink:

Armin Van Buren/Ferry Corsten

I just think this is some lovely music.

p.s. We Catholics are not as reactionary as non-Catholics about outside influences being sinful - We believe that alcohol is not necessarily sinful, music is a gift from God, dancing if done modestly is great exercise and fun! (However on pre-marital sex, we are 100% strict!)

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:12, topic:271171"]
Since there are few words, there's not as much opportunity for vulgarity.

Techno and trance are used at raves, which involve lots of illegal drug use, but you don't have to go to raves and even if you do, you don't have to do drugs.

The DJs don't seem to be high to me, or how could they mix the music?

;)

Armin Van Buren/Ferry Corsten

I just think this is some lovely music.

p.s. We Catholics are not as reactionary as non-Catholics about outside influences being sinful - We believe that alcohol is not necessarily sinful, music is a gift from God, dancing if done modestly is great exercise and fun! (However on pre-marital sex, we are 100% strict!)

[/quote]

A mom that likes Ferry Corsten? :thumbsup:

Some music “purists” consider listening to techno sacrilegious.

By that reasoning, one might consider elevator music or the kind of soft jazz they used to play in the grocery store where I work to be a form of penance. I wonder now if I got time off from purgatory for listening to it for so many years. :wink:

Absolutely you did. :smiley:

I’m still reaping the spiritual benefits from the music I was forced to listen to in my carpool Freshman year of high school – and that was 20 years ago! :stuck_out_tongue:

I found that listening to bad music for a prolonged period of time makes one actually like it.

[quote="Tenofovir, post:17, topic:271171"]
I found that listening to bad music for a prolonged period of time makes one actually like it.

[/quote]

Really? I must just be stubborn then. I had to put up with a lot of rap music that year, but I never softened towards it. If anything, my distaste for it grew. :p

Though I do know people who got into Country music via involuntary prolonged exposure. :D

I’ve been in situations where bad music was continuously played, and I never grew to like it. This must differ from person-to-person.

[quote="Splagchnizomai, post:19, topic:271171"]
I've been in situations where bad music was continuously played, and I never grew to like it. This must differ from person-to-person.

[/quote]

The music must not have been bad enough. :p:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.