Feeling embarrassed after confession

2 Likes

As others have said, it is not a rare sin.
Consider that your embarrassment is actually a form of pride. You want the priest to think highly of you. But like all of us, the priest included, you are a sinner. Rejoice in the freedom of forgiveness Jesus gives and try to turn away from human respect. You’ll be the happier for it

3 Likes

I have also replied to your other thread - possibly concerning the same confession.

Be at peace. You’ve given the sin to God - so let go.

2 Likes

When I had difficulty Confessing a particular sin and the Priest saw I was struggling he said “You can tell me anything”. That’s what he is in the Confessional for. That’s why we have Confession. And you are not alone. I am so very glad that at your age you continue to go to Confession and want to receive God’s forgiveness. And even more so God is so very happy you go.

2 Likes

Not really.

1 Like

3 Likes

Christ knows our sin and calls us by our name

Satan knows our name but calls us by our sins.

Let Christ rule in your heart and mind.

6 Likes

I struggled with the same thing for a while and confessed it like any other sin.
I thought it was embarrassing as I confessed it, but had no issue with seeing Father later on whatsoever. I worked as a catechist and he knew very well that it was me.

However, I do believe in that thing called what´s said in the confessional stays in the confessional. And it does. So when I speak with him, I literally pretend like the whole thing never happened, and he does so as well.

3 Likes

VERY good article by Father Mike about what it’s like on his side of the Confessional.

https://lifeteen.com/blog/my-side-of-the-confessional-what-is-it-like-for-a-priest/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest

3 Likes

Yep good advice. Besides Father hears MANY MANY MANY Confessions and I’m sure he has a lot more things on his mind then your Confession. He has the soul of EVERY one of his parishioners to worry about and pray for

4 Likes

Also, he has heard it all before. If not anything, it must be boring to listen to people´s sins. I recommend this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVjwlUO9Sc
it´s also by Fr. Mike and he´s explaining it all from the priest´s views. Very beautiful!!

4 Likes

Can you imagine how crazy it would drive a Priest if he tried to remember who told him what in Confession. I imagine he’d never be able to see or talk to anybody ever again if that was the case. They HAVE to forget for their own mental & spiritual health.

6 Likes

That’s not rare.

2 Likes

You make a good point there! Also, I believe God makes them forget these things as there´s no need for them to remember it as they´ve acted in the person of Christ.

4 Likes

EXACTLY. They have a life too and they have other needs & many people to pray for. If penitents and their sins were CONSTANTLY on their minds I don’t see how they could ever pray or do any of their Priestly duties.

2 Likes

Also it´s great that Confession is embarrassing from time to time, because it helps us grow in virtue considering our humility.

4 Likes

And you did the right thing by being honest and confessing this sin instead of withholding it. :+1:

8 Likes

Does your family ever invite a priest over for dinner? Getting to know priests as people can help ease some of the fears.

1 Like

1 Like

Not rare. Not at all. Absolutely normal, common, boring, mundane. Not rare.

5 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.