Feeling Frustration

I’m feeling a lot of frustration lately because I have very little money. I’m going to school and my bank account is running on fumes from buying gas and other necessities. I am job searching for the summer and/or long-term employment, but nothing has materialized. I would really like to go on a vocation retreat with an order that I am interested in, but I have no idea when that will happen because I cannot afford it without a job. I’ve been trying to do little chores and working online at ChaCha, but it will never be enough to afford a plane ticket. Does anyone know a good way to find a job? I am at wits end here. I went online to see if I could find a job at a summer camp, but I am not eligible for employment since I don’t have recent childcare experience. :frowning:

Like you, I’ve had a horrible time finding work. With unemployment running low, I decided I had to find something in temp work. I don’t know what other peoole think of it, but work is work. If you apply at 3 or 4 places and give good interviews you’ll probably land something. It won’t pay as much, but it pays more than zero. If you’re cheerful, competant and eager to work, your reputation will grow. It IS temporary work, but it IS work, and if you’re good (and optimistic, not desperate!) it can become long term. After applying at several places, call each one EVERY DAY. When you get an assignment, call the other agencies and let them know you got work through one of their competitors. They won’t be hurt, they’ll be impressed. If you don’t like an assignment, tell them at the end of the FIRST DAY. They’ll try to find you something you like. Then tell the other agencies you’re available, and call everyone EVERY DAY. They love honesty, persistance, and eagerness.

Hope you find something soon. Remember, when coming out of a recession, a lot of new jobs are temp. They want to check you out (not just how well you interview, but how well you work day-to-day) and you want a paycheck. I don’t work every day, but I work.

God bless.

[quote="svid2, post:2, topic:235600"]
Like you, I've had a horrible time finding work. With unemployment running low, I decided I had to find something in temp work. I don't know what other peoole think of it, but work is work. If you apply at 3 or 4 places and give good interviews you'll probably land something. It won't pay as much, but it pays more than zero. If you're cheerful, competant and eager to work, your reputation will grow. It IS temporary work, but it IS work, and if you're good (and optimistic, not desperate!) it can become long term. After applying at several places, call each one EVERY DAY. When you get an assignment, call the other agencies and let them know you got work through one of their competitors. They won't be hurt, they'll be impressed. If you don't like an assignment, tell them at the end of the FIRST DAY. They'll try to find you something you like. Then tell the other agencies you're available, and call everyone EVERY DAY. They love honesty, persistance, and eagerness.

Hope you find something soon. Remember, when coming out of a recession, a lot of new jobs are temp. They want to check you out (not just how well you interview, but how well you work day-to-day) and you want a paycheck. I don't work every day, but I work.

God bless.

[/quote]

Thank you for your response. How did you find a temp agency? Many people actually have recommended this idea to me, but I am not aware of any agencies in my area. I've never heard of any. I've been checking out Craigslist, Snagajob, Monster, etc. and have come up with very little. I've also applied to food service jobs such as Chick-Fil-A and McDonalds. I am going to school, but I will not be going during the summer semester, so I am hoping to be job hunting a lot. :)

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:3, topic:235600"]
Thank you for your response. How did you find a temp agency? Many people actually have recommended this idea to me, but I am not aware of any agencies in my area. I've never heard of any. I've been checking out Craigslist, Snagajob, Monster, etc. and have come up with very little. I've also applied to food service jobs such as Chick-Fil-A and McDonalds. I am going to school, but I will not be going during the summer semester, so I am hoping to be job hunting a lot. :)

[/quote]

Look for temp agencies in that old standby, the Yellow Pages. Google "temp agency yourtown" and see what comes up.

Don't you have some sort of experience in medical or child care? What about advertising your own services on Craig's List or by taking out a small ad in the local newspaper or free local newspaper?

Is there anyone else in your area interested in SSEW that you could meet or contact thru your church, Newman's Club or online thru your diocese? You may be able to find someone to split expenses for a drive.

Would your Church allow something to be put in the Church Bulletin?

Have you tried applying for being an usher at a movie theater; bus boy at a restuarant; help at a pet grooming center; taxi; garden center; etc. I know that they make a LOT of money doing type setting at newspaper places, but it takes a good eye and careful work. Waitresses make good tips, especially at seafood restaurants.

Department of Social Services usually has a job finding place associated with it. Try giving them a call.

Also consider jobs.salary.com

You might consider hubpages.com Given your knowledge of health and many other things, you could write about Health, Religion, etc. and you get paid if people click on ads. They report that some earn $500 a month, but who knows how many pages they write. I’m considering this myself… I’ve got TONS to write about and I’d love to see if people like it. :slight_smile:

And you don’t have to use your entire real name… Here is an example hubpages.com/profile/Whitney05

But wow, after reading through all of that, I don’t think it would work for me as they want tax information and everything. I wonder how it would work out to make a blog and put a paypal donation button on there. personal.paypal.com/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/fundraise

Someone on phatmass had a sort of fundraiser for religious life and she made things and sold them to parishoners.

Here's a site for finding employment agencies: usaemploymentagencies.com/

indeed.com and care.com have great listings of jobs.

Another great site: aftercollege.com
americantutoring.com

I found some awesome child care and pet sitting jobs on care.com I will be talking to my friend about possibly contacting some of them and/or making a profile on there. This is great under the table work for me, and just ocassional, which I need. I hope you find good work. :)

Also: sittercity.com

With all of these websites, you are bound to find something great. :) :thumbsup:

I used to be in human resources at a large corporation and we had a difficult time staffing for temporary office positions. A large temporary agency grew out of the corporation’s need. The pay was good, the working conditions were excellent, and it was a way to get experience for one’s resume and a foot in the door for permanent employment if it was desired. Summertime was our highest need because permanent employees (I’m talking mostly about administrative or secretarial work) were going on vacations. A temp could work the entire summer full time, two weeks in marketing, three weeks in engineering. The need was so great that even so-so temps got work, but a good temp was like finding a jewel. If you have any large companies nearby, ask someone who works for the company who they use as an agency.

It’s probably already been recommended to ask at your parish. If I were aware that a young person at our parish was discerning a vocation, I’d want to help, especially if that person were going to return to our parish and speak to our young people about vocations. You might propose something on paper to your pastor. Ten smaller donations to your cause are as good as one large one. God bless

I was at the Lowe’s in Schertz yesterday, and Lowe’s is hiring, you just have to go to their website and apply. Also, TJMAXX where I work part time is hiring, and so is Target.
Don’t know where you live, but here in the San Antonio area, many of the major retailers are hiring for the summer.

Mc Donalds is doing a huge hring on April 19.

Also, convience stores may stink, but if you're a hard worker you'll often get asked to work more and have a very good chance to make overtime.

Summer camps look for any involvment with children...do you have siblings, cousins? Can you swim and take a lifeguard course? If you're college age this may get you in the door.

I bolded that becuase it’s simply not true anymore. With many people out of work, those who call twice in one week are automatically put in the DO NOT HIRE pile.

I just wanted to add that the best of the links I mentioned are: indeed.com and care.com

I can’t believe all the jobs I found. I think I found some things I could do, and I will be considering it. They are right in my town, too.

Please let us know how it goes for you. :slight_smile:

[quote="JoyfulLife, post:14, topic:235600"]
I just wanted to add that the best of the links I mentioned are: indeed.com and care.com

I can't believe all the jobs I found. I think I found some things I could do, and I will be considering it. They are right in my town, too.

Please let us know how it goes for you. :)

[/quote]

I found some temp agencies in my area and looked at the listings they posted online. Unfortunately, I am not eligible for any of them because most of them want completed college education with a specific major for the field. I am just now finishing up my AA degree, so I have a ways to go.

I will look at the links you mentioned. I am also going to be taking another look at monster.com to see if any new postings have come up today. I really need to work on my resume, too, but I barely have time right now since I have homework that is due a week from today (two assignments). :rolleyes:

Yes, I heard about the major hiring event for McDonalds. I have put in applications there already. As far as convenience stores, the only ones I would feel comfortable working at are ones where more than one person works there at a time. We have at least two chains that implement shifts like this, and I have applied to them in the past. I was interviewed at one, but never heard back from them. I may try to apply with them again.

As far as summer camps go, I am not eligible for employment because the ones that are hiring ask for experience working with either youth ministry (Catholics) or previous summer camps. I’ve only been an attendee not a counselor. :frowning:

This is definitely true as I have been recommended to call every day by my relatives and I never hear back from them again. I think employers are too busy to deal with calls everyday.

I looked on indeed.com and I’ve applied to Staples. I’m still looking through the posts. Thank you for posting it. :slight_smile:

You can also go to a temp agency in person, and talk to someone who will evaluate your skills and try to place you in a job. You may have to give them a part of your wages, but it’s better than nothing.

Make sure everyone you know is aware that you are looking for a job. Then people will think of you when they hear of or see an opening.

Look at the available jobs at your college as well. Are you eligible for work study? This is a good way to get experience and earn money in an environment you are already comfortable in.

Awesome! There is soooo much stuff on that site, and really, as you dig deeper, great stuff comes up. Entrance level job listings are mixed in with the bigger job listings.

Daughter, is there much involved in pet sitting and child or baby sitting? I haven’t done either, except I grew up with dogs and cats. And I wonder if it would come up about my mental history.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.