Feeling great.

Hello Everyone,

I’m feeling great today :slight_smile: My mother is still dying of course, but an incredible thing occurred yesterday. Both my sister Elizabeth and I were praying the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary at either side of her bed. The right side of my mother’s face was resting on the pillow, which meant she was facing towards my side of the bed. My left hand was resting gently on my mother’s forehead and crown, my right hand held a Rosary ring. As we prayed audibly I looked at her face and noticed though her eyes were partially opened they looked dull and lifeless. But suddenly I detected some movement of her pupils as she fixed her gaze upon my face and then her eyes lit up, and she broke into a massive, broad grin. I was still reciting the Rosary with my sister Elizabeth and didn’t want to stop, but she (my sister) couldn’t see what was going on from her side of the bed. So I stopped for a few moments and said “Look, she’s smiling” my sister then stood up, leaned over and she too was delighted with what she saw. My mother then tried desperately hard to speak, but she couldn’t utter any words at all. Nevertheless, she continued smiling for a little while and all the stress and strain I detected previously had vanished completely from her face, and I’m absolutely sure she was thanking all of us for rallying around her in her hour of great need.

This certainly doesn’t mean we should slacken off, no, certainly not, if anything we should increase our efforts. I thank you all again most sincerely, and I will continue to pray for all of you (every day) especially at Mass. And again I would strongly recommend the Rosary to one and all. I know from personal experience, that next to the Mass, it is indeed the Prayer Par Excellence.

“The Rosary constitutes the most excellent form of private prayer and the most efficacious means to achieve eternal life. In the supreme hour the devotees of the Rosary will be consoled by the maternal tenderness of the Virgin Mary and will be gently put to sleep in her bosom”. Pope Leo XIII

John 19:27
Eddy Barry

**3 Reasons Why St. Joseph is the Patron of the Dying

1. He is the foster father of the Eternal Judge, Who can refuse him no request.

2. He is terrible to the demons; the Church calls him the Terror of demons and Conqueror of Hell.

3. His own death was most beautiful, for he died in the arms of Jesus and Mary; this is the principal reason why he is the patron of a happy death; in death no other Saint was so happy, so glorious. St. Francis de Sales was of the opinion that St. Joseph died of the love of God; St. Alphonsus Liguori considered this most reasonable.

**The Special Prayer of the Pious Union of St. Joseph
O St. Joseph, foster father of the Child Jesus and true spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, pray for us and for the dying of this day (or this night). Amen.

Prayer for the Agonizing

O St. Joseph, protector of those in agony, take pity on those who at this very moment when I pray to thee are engaged in their last combat.
O blessed Joseph, take pity on my soul too when the hour of the final battle shall arrive for me. Then, O my holy patron, do not abandon me, but grant me thine assistance; show that thou art my good father, and obtain that my Divine Savior may receive me with mercy into that abode where the elect enjoy a life that shall never end. Amen.

Prayer for the Souls in the Agony of Death

Eternal Father, by the love Thou bearest toward St. Joseph, who was chosen by Thee from among all men to exercise Thy divine fatherhood over the Thy Son made Man, have mercy on us and upon all poor souls who are in their agony.

Pray 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary, 1 Glory Be . . .

Eternal Son of God, by the love Thou bearest toward St. Joseph, who was Thy most faithful guardian upon earth, have mercy on us and upon all poor souls who are in their agony.

Pray 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary, 1 Glory Be . . .

Eternal Spirit of God, by the love Thou bearest toward St. Joseph, who guarded with such tender care most holy Mary, Thy beloved spouse, have mercy on us and upon all poor souls who are in their agony.

Pray 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary, 1 Glory Be

**Prayer for a Good Death
O Jesus, while I adore Your dying breath, I beg You to receive mine. Since I do not know whether I shall have command of my senses when I depart from this world, I offer You even now my last agony and all the sorrows of my passing. I give my soul into Your hands for You are my Father and my Savior. Grant that the last beat of my heart may be an act of perfect love for You. Amen.

I just happened to notice your post eddy. I reminded me of the time spent in prayer at the side of my own mom at the time of her passing.

Although I am in the wrong forum, I’d like to offer a prayer for your mom.

Dear Lord, we thank you for the gift of parents. No matter how grown up we may become we are always sad to see them go, but we take comfort in knowing that we share the same faith and hold onto the same hope that through you conquest of death we will see each other again. And so, somehow, our tears are temporary because we know the separation is not forever. Continue to bless Eddy’s family and I ask that the Holy Family will be there for his mother when such time has come according to thy will.

Amen.

Thank you SteadyEddie for this great post. Our prayers are with your family and most particularily your mother.

God Bless

What a wonderful story and a great blessing. This must have been such a wonderful feeling in such a difficult time.

Thanks for sharing!

Thats so beautiful, I will pray the rosary right now with my sister for your mother.

Hello Everyone,

I just want to say a big THANKS again for all your well wishes, support, and prayers during this difficult period. Prayer makes such an enormous difference, the only really worthwhile and lasting difference in fact to each and every soul, of that I am certain now more than ever.

I visited my mother Elsie/Ellen again yesterday morning at 9am and having stayed at the nursing home throughout the day I decided I should stay throughout the night too. We started praying the Rosary audibly (Sorrowful Mysteries) just after 1am. Then we started on the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and having finished just one decade my mother breathed her last and passed over peacefully at 1-50 am this morning. I am as sure now as any human being possibly could be (without an actual vision) that she is now in, or well on her way to heaven. :slight_smile:

2 Cor 5:8
Eddy Barry

God bless you, Eddy, may God keep her. I will pray another rosary for her right now.

Your post made me think of when my mother passed away. She was fully comatose, we were singing hymns & spiritual songs around her for an hour. On the last song, There Is A River, her lips began to move like she was singing with us and when the song was over she drew her last breath. That was her favorite song. :slight_smile: God is very good to us.

Hello Everyone,

Just a few personal words of THANKS again for all your kindness, and all your prayers recently. My mother Elsie/Ellen was laid to rest this morning after the 11am Mass. It was of course a very sad occasion, but a beautiful service nonetheless, with personal prayers, funny stories, lovely hymns etc, and I myself even done a reading which I am pasting below. I was actually very nervous about reading. And to make things even more difficult I used a combined narrative lengthening the reading somewhat. Though quite familiar with the Bible, I had never read in public before. Anyway, I just read slowly, from the heart, somewhat emotionally too, or was I just shaking because of the very cold and wet weather :slight_smile: Anyway, everything went okay. One person said afterwards that I read very coherently, another lady said I should read regularly in Church, but between us, I was just relieved not to have made a mistake :slight_smile:

A reading from the book of Wisdom, Combined Narrative. Chapter 3:1-9 and Chapter 5:16-17

But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and the torment of death shall not touch them. In the sight of the unwise they seemed to die: and their departure was taken for misery: And their going away from us, for utter destruction: but they are in peace. And though in the sight of men they suffered torments, their hope is full of immortality. Afflicted in few things, in many they shall be well rewarded: because God hath tried them, and found them worthy of himself.
As gold in the furnace he hath proved them, and as a victim of a holocaust he hath received them, and in time there shall be respect had to them. The just shall shine, and shall run to and fro like sparks among the reeds. They shall judge nations, and rule over people, and their Lord shall reign for ever. They that trust in him, shall understand the truth: and they that are faithful in love shall rest in him: for grace and peace is to his elect. The just shall live for evermore: and their reward is with the Lord, and the care of them with the most High. Therefore shall they receive a kingdom of glory, and a crown of beauty at the hand of the Lord: for with his right hand he will cover them, and with his holy arm he will defend them.

2 Cor 13:13
Eddy Barry

God Bless you Eddy.

God bless you, Eddie. You’re such a sweet person. :slight_smile:

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

That’s great that you got that last Chaplet in at the hour of death. Our Lord Jesus said to St. Faustina, “…When they say this Chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person not as the just judge but as the Merciful Savior”.

God bless you and your family during this difficult time, Eddy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.