Feeling Guilty (Dumping SIL as Insurance Agent)

A few weeks ago, I posted a question to you all. Should I feel guilty about dropping my SIL as our insurance agent if we got lower quotes from a different company? Everyone basically said to ask her to match the quote. So that is what we did.

Well, here is a little twist I want to add to the story. About a week ago, I canceled my husband’s business insurance. Its only a side job and he hasn’t had a job in several months so we felt it was silly to keep it for now. We planned on picking it back up in the summer when jobs usually come in. Here is what really annoyed me and my husband. My SIL told my husband’s friend (who is my husband’s business partner but doesn’t pay any of the insurance) that we canceled our insurance. She felt like he should know, just in case he does jobs on the side and wouldn’t be protected by insurance.:confused: I am not sure why in the world she would think we would be okay providing insurance for this friend if he was out doing jobs without my husband. :shrug: By the way, my husband was going to tell him himself…but his sister beat him to the punch.

So at this point, I feel like his sister crossed the line as our agent and had no business telling anybody our business (I’m sure she already told her parents:rolleyes:). Do you think I am justifed in not wanting to have her as our agent anymore?

i would not feel guilty at all.

No, you shouldn’t…it’s business and you did nothing wrong. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this, but unfortunately oftentimes business and family don’t mix well.

Yes, you’re justified. Yes, she crossed the line, it was not her business to tell the friend anything since it’s not her concern. And by the way, you don’t need any justification to switch agents or companies. But she probably won’t be happy, so batten down the hatches.

Thanks for the replies, I greatly appreciate it! I know I shouldn’t feel guilty but its nice to hear it from you all as well. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.